PDA

View Full Version : Outerwears air box lid

Holty
12-10-2001, 01:45 PM
When I first got my K&N, pipe, and jet kit. I ran with no air box lid, the jetting was perfect and my bike screamed. But alot of junk always got into my airbox, and that bothered me, so I decided to put my lid back on and add uni-filter airbox vents. Well, the vents are pretty much useless and dont help at all, and ever since then, my jetting was never right no matter what I tried(i've changed it atleast 10 times now). Also, I felt a large decrease in power. So I give up! I'm going back to running no air box lid, but I was wondering about those Outerwears covers?? Anybody have one? Do they flow air like the box would without a lid on it?? Do they keep out all the junk from trail riding?? Most importantly, where can I get one online or order one from a 800 number?? I would like to order one today, if I get good feedback from you guys about them. thanks.

Tommy 17
12-10-2001, 02:05 PM
i have one and it works great... go to the reviews form and read 3 punks review on it and do the air box lid mod i had to bc the velcro job sucks like he siad. it works great u will love it...

RIKR4X
12-10-2001, 04:41 PM
Hey,what size jet were you running with the lid off? what did you go to after the lid was on ? i got the same set up as you and im having problems to. my buddies stock bike beat mine!!!before we were dead even. i did find out tonight that i put in a 155 instead of 158.so i put in the 158.let me know whats going on with yours.

4punksdad
12-10-2001, 04:52 PM
customize your stock lid & save yourself some cash. this mod costs pennys......not dollars. :)

kc 300EX
12-10-2001, 04:57 PM
if your still interested, the airbox outerwear is like 20 bux and you can get it from www.moto-man.com

Holty
12-10-2001, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I forgot that review was in the "reviews" section, sorry. I went ahead and ordered the Outerwears lid cover from Nac's racing for $20. It should be here later this week and hopefully I can get this POS running good again.

RIKR4X:
I've changed my jetting so many times now, I can't even remember what jets are in there now. I'll let everyone know how this thing turns out and i'll remember what jets are in it when it runs good.

max400EX
12-10-2001, 10:25 PM
Who is running a pre filter like that on an aluminum air box

3punksdad, what material is that and where did u get it? looks like white outerwear that costed 50 penny's

4punksdad
12-11-2001, 03:58 AM
thats a piece of thin fabric I got at a fabric store. I wanted something to stretch over the TOP of the airbox to help repel mud & water. It works better than the outerwear as far as I am concerned. I just wish I could have found a slightly thicker material. I didn't want to spend too much time in a fabric store..........LOL, people were looking at me funny :huh

Stunz
12-11-2001, 06:14 AM
The velcro is a PITA. I came up with my own way of stretching it over the cover. My cover has a big-square hole cut out of it.

I run a solid cover today.

4punksdad
12-11-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Stunz
The velcro is a PITA. I came up with my own way of stretching it over the cover. My cover has a big-square hole cut out of it.

I run a solid cover today.

got any pics of your modified lid design? I am interested in new ideas. I used 100% silicone to hold mine in place.

Stunz
12-12-2001, 06:03 AM
All I did was drap the pre-filter over the square opening with velcro along two of the edges. Then the extra material is tucked under the cover, so when I clamp the cover on, it will be held in place. Kinda cheesy.

I could not used the two spring clamps on the air box or the o-ring gasket in the cover with this method.

I went back to a stock cover after I noticed that the air cleaner was real nasty after every ride.

I did get more power with the modded or no air box lid set-up, but I could not see the beniefit over the risk of damage to the motor.