PDA

View Full Version : schoolboy jr and sr class proposal

Ryko racing
08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Just an idea. This would keep the racing affordable so that all dads could afford the step up to the big quads plus give the kids a safe platform to race . ( imagine safe and cost effective).

What if Schoolboy jr and sr classes were true Production 450 classes( no race quads with bike motors (aka prod ha ha... or mods, stock oem honda suzuki, yamaha, can am kawasaki quads).

Suspension upgrades could be done just as all 450 classes but zero engine or exhaust mods.( 450 quads have enough power for step up classes in stock form.)( that would also keep our SUPPORTING vendors in the game JB, Walsh, Lone STAR ETC.)

This would give the OEMS the platform to hopefully see that there is a market for amateur racing but keep it affordable for everyone.(im sure Yamaha and Can am who do support our series would like this and maybe Honda and Kawasaki would come back in). Thus we would take care of the companies that currently support our series.

I guarantee the gates will be full in both of these classes at every national.

Plus the riders ability would really shine as they would all be on virtually the same speed quads. FAIR HUH.....And more kids would enter the sport if they didnt have to have a 20 thousand dollar quad to be competitive. Just my idea. ( if we keep this exotic building of quads we are doomed.)

djdfairchild
08-10-2012, 09:55 AM
I think its a really good idea. I'm sure you will find 1 or 2 brands that will be the most popular because of stock motor performance. I don't know if there will be enough quads bought for this class to make companies try to build a better motor, but i like the idea, and i bet you would have a lot of riders move to it.

Ryko racing
08-10-2012, 10:13 AM
All of the 450 makers are pretty competitive. The new Yamahas seem good, Can Am is doing well, Hondas are good, Suzuki is competitve, Kawasaki made a decent stocker ( actually i think it was one of the fastest stock 450s.)

This idea will WORK. Unfortunately i dont see our promoter even considering it. They will wait until there is no rider turnout left to change. Lets hope they look at this idea SERIOUSLY....

zach R 7x
08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm all for this ! were do we sign? We just moved to 450 and plan on doing suspesion changes but leaving motor stock for a while.

Ryko racing
08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
It makes perfect sense. Pass it on and keep trying . This may be a savior for our sport. It makes me angry that our promoter just gave up on the Homolugation rule of 100 . anyone can throw a race motor in a frame and call it Production. Thats a joke. Unless you are RICH .......lol

leager-n-ky
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a GREAT idea to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryko racing
08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
It will work for everyone. There is no downside to it. Equal machines on safer chassis LET THE BEST RIDER WIN.

greenmachine70
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
never happen... with the cpsc putting their foot on the back of the atv communities neck, you will never see a 13yr old on a 450.
Keep the sr class the way it is and cut it off at 16.
the sr class is still majority under 16 and unfortunately I dont see any promoter or manufacturer backing a class that allows under 16 on a 450. Not to mention honda and suzuki still make a 400.
Schoolboy jr would be more competitive if you allowed 240 blasters to run with the built 300ex or the built raptors.
the apex250 is a hybrid to me especially since you have to buy them in parts now.
As for hybrids, quads with dirtbike motors, make a class for them since so many have them. If you get 6+ riders you have a series.
keep the jr class air cooled to eliminate the apex/hybrids.

Ryko racing
08-13-2012, 07:12 AM
that makes sense but the promoters group allowed APEX to be homolugated in 2011. Thus every build is 2011 leftover. 2012 was not legal as per AMA. i WAS TOLD.

LT80
08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Stock..No shock changes.
I expect a "safety" reply. I say::Let the riders learn to ride with their machines and rider limitations.

You want to save money, go to stock shocks on mini's too.:devil:

greenmachine70
08-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by LT80
Stock..No shock changes.
I expect a "safety" reply. I say::Let the riders learn to ride with their machines and rider limitations.

You want to save money, go to stock shocks on mini's too.:devil:
Then you will have to get the micrometer out and get a measurement on stock springs. I once knew a guy who told me he put heavier springs on his sons drr Stock shocks because his son was bigger than the others. The springs were red but only way to tell if they were stock was diameter thickness which was hard to see with the naked eye and most used shock covers.
That might cause drr to step up when all the apexs start filling the gates.
We have stock appearing class in Dade City and it works pretty well. However we did vote on shocks and axles because of so many broken frames and axles. Shocks must fit in stock mounts.

Ryko racing
08-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Its a shame that in a sport where all of the dads say ITS ABOUT THE KIDS we even have to worry about cheating. I have never heard of a kid coming in the garage and tellin dad to throw a big bore on my motor so I CAN WIN....( IT WOULD BE MY SONS LAST RACE EVER).... The kids dont want to cheat.

a few years back when we were talking about stock classes Troy Szymborski said that the Promoters should bring a dyno. ( they all know what a stock 450 pulls so after the race take 5 minutes and run the top 3 on the dyno. (it wopuld be simple)

We raced Csra snowcross in Canada and they tech the top 3 in every class as they leave the track. If you dont stop and accidently go back to the trailer you are d q. ( guess what ? no bodys minis flat out run away from the others its real close).

Stock is stock, all it wopuld take is one top rider to be booted for the season and it would end. enough said.