PDA

View Full Version : CHL Holders

slightlybent47
08-08-2012, 08:38 AM
In resent years we have had many mass shootings and there has been a lot of talk and support for the CHL. Myself included.
But I began to think about the situation and what may happen if there had been some CHL holders in the audience.

Say you’re sitting in a theater and you hear a rash of gunshots. Being a CHL holder you pull your weapon and take a defensive position. You turn around and see 5 people that have also pulled there weapon. (Also CHL holders)
So now the question you face is who is the bad guy?
Next you see one of them shoot at someone. Is he shooting at the bad guy? Or is he the bad guy shooting at innocent people?

I’m all for concealed carry, but serious restraint must be used. One must be 100% sure you have the rite person before deadly force is used.

What are your thoughts?

godzilla
08-08-2012, 09:02 AM
This should be interesting...:uhoh:

slightlybent47
08-08-2012, 09:13 AM
I hear so many people say that if there had just been someone in that theater that they could have perhaps stopped the gunman from killing so many people. And perhaps that’s true. But how many of those CHL holders could have or would hold there fire until there sure they are shooting at the bad guy and not a fellow CHL holder?
On the surface it sounds like a good idea for everyone to carry a concealed weapon.
But if you stop and think about it, having a bunch of untrained people ready to whip out there gun may not be the best solution.
Not saying it’s bad but it can turn into a confusing scenario where no one is sure who is who!

I’m bringing up this question because, sometime back a few months ago I saw a story where during a robbery where someone was taken hostage and being used as a human shield was shot and killed by a CHL holder that was trying to shoot the bad guy and save the hostage.

OldGuyonaQuad
08-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I wanna be a cowboy....

derekhonda
08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I think you are right in the movie theater instance. It's dark, people don't know whats going on, that guy was in body armor, etc. I think most people would have been able to quickly guess the guy wearing the bane mask and carrying an assault rifle is the bad guy, but I still don't think really anything could have been done in that particular instance.

However, I believe that instance is rare. Here is another news story that played second fiddle, as it happened the same weekend that batman opened.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/samuel-williams-duwayne-henderson-davis-dawkins-internet-cafe-shooting_n_1682519.html

Watch the video, tell me that guy didn't save lives, foil a robbery, and pretty much single handely send two bad guys to prison. Oh yeah, he was 71.

CJM
08-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Movie theater is a bad example. Impossible imho if I had been there, based on the evidence I could have figure out who was the bad guy.

But the internet cafe is a good example, case is clear cut. However not all things turn out to be so clear cut.

This is why its important to know your target. Cant identify a target-then you have no shot. What if you shoot the wrong person? It wont end well if you do.

Its a gray area and thats all Ive got to say about that.

trick450r
08-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
I wanna be a cowboy....

isn't that illegal in jersey? lol

Anyway I think everyone should take some defensive pistol classes once attaining a concealed carry permit. I've taken defensive pistol and defensive rifle classes...its informative and great fun to boot!

ben300
08-09-2012, 10:51 AM

ben300
08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
x

ben300
08-09-2012, 10:54 AM

ben300
08-09-2012, 10:54 AM

ben300
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
But how many of those CHL holders could have or would hold there fire until there sure they are shooting at the bad guy and not a fellow CHL holder?

Ok, enough with a being a dick and time to put some serious thought into the subject,

in all seriousness, how many people, even with a CHL, are actually willing to pull the trigger on anohter person, even when that person is imposing iminant (spl?) danger?

a couple years back, for my 23rd bday, i wanted to get my concealed cary license here in PA, and purchase a springfield XD (my dad has his FFL and says guns and archery supplies). my family already has several handguns, but i lived in erie, PA, down town, in a not so nice section of town, and i wanted my own personal firearm to protect myself with if need be, because there had been increased gang activity in my area and couple of shootings.

i was dicussing this whole scenerio iwth my dad and his best friend, who is my skeet and trap shooting coach. my dads friend put it pretty simple for me. we all feel tough when we have a gun or can carry a gun. but how many people really actually have the angst to pull the trigger. when facing someone who is imposing danger, and you pull your gun or what ever, you now have committed not only to yourself, but to them, that you are willing to shoot and kill that person, even though you may truly not be willing. this conversation, in the end, kept me from purchasing a gun, and for hte reason that i lived in a crazy party house and i didnt not want th ewrong ppl to end up with posession of a firearm in the wrong situation...

i think ppl should be allowed to carry firearms. i htink its an given liberty by our constitution, but that the same time, i dont think ever person has the where withall or actually never to use when when it comes down to it. i know that if i was to actually shoot ast someone, anyone, a lot of things would race through my mind before pulled that trigger. some pppl would and some ppl woudlnt think twice...it all jsut comes up to you as a person.

it terms of the movie theatre scenerio as described. id imagine, in human nature, if you draw your gun, and aim, after you have surveyed the area or scene, humans are generally gonna follow suit and aim and shoot inthe direction of where the other five guns are aiming....people follow suit....thats if 5 other ppl have decided to pull their guns and shoot....tis hard to tell what people are going to do in a tiem like that

muddy400EX
08-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ben300

thats awesome:p

most of them knew who was shooting in the movie theater deal. they seen him walk in, throw the gas, pull the gun. dont think anyone would have been shooting the wrong guy in that sitiutation, but i do see what you're saying

but, I think for a person who carry's a gun, you have the mind to look out for this kind of situation. I know if i had a gun, and seen a guy walk in the back door in full body armor and just stare at the crowd, i would be thinking wtf and probably have my hand on my gun. Once he pulled a gun i would have mine out and when he shot i would start shooting, not saying i could get an effective hit but you'd have to try, right