PDA

View Full Version : What am i doing wrong with throttle cable?

qlphoton
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I was out showing my daughter how to take off using the clutch,so i was sitting at idle,and when i turned the handle bars to let her on it idled up quicker.I then tried just pushing on the outside of the cable up above the plastic before it goes in under,and it reved up.I then took off the thumb throttle cover and loosend it there,but it still does it.I dont like slop in the thumb throttle,and i thought i had it adjusted right.Do i need to readjust at carb?This is a 450r carb with a tusk throttle cable,that im not impressed with,and yes it is for a 450r.Any help would be much apprecieated.

2001400exrida
08-07-2012, 03:39 PM
make sure you don't have the cable twisted to the thumb throttle assembly on the bars. Sometimes if it's twisted you will feel the cable rub when you push the throttle. Sounds simple, but it's happened to me before.

slightlybent47
08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Has it been replaced lately?
Check the routing on the cable, idling up when you turn the bars usually means the cable is to short or the routing is not rite.

Could be you don't have enough free play in the throttle.

on the rocks
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
i agree with above. sounds like its routed wrong.

qlphoton
08-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I think i solved my problem by putting a original honda throttle cable on.The tusk cable was longer,but built with thinner stuff.Ive tried all the same stuff from yesterday with this new one and all seems good.

on the rocks
08-08-2012, 03:34 PM
as long as its fixed thats what matters.