PDA

View Full Version : Possible trade I'm looking at (need advice)

Racerjoey1
08-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I haven't been on here in forever, but I currently have a 2000 Polaris trail boss 325. It's in good shape but I miss my 400ex.

I found a guy who is willing to trade me for a 2000 400ex. It appears to be really clean, but it needs a starter, a battery, battery tray, and the wiring for the battery?

How expensive is all this stuff? The said it will roll start and run good, but he said its a PITA to get started when it's cold. My yard and street is flat so that could be an issue, not to mention stalling on the trail.

I also have a guy that will trade me a 2004 Suzuki z400. He says it runs great, but it needs front tires and does not look as clean as mine or the 400ex. I'm sure I could shine it up and possibly paint the frame and stuff.

Anyway, what would you guys do? I'd rather have either of the quads than my Polaris. I bought it because it runs good and my boss let me have it for $250 and a couple hours work.

Thanks,
Joey

JOHNDOE83
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I would have made that trade already.....:devil:

for the Ex

quadmanw
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Look into the 400ex man. You can find a starter and wire harness off of a parts bike or and a battery is like $60 I think.

Racerjoey1
08-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Well the thing is my wife will get pissed if I spend much, we are expecting a baby literally any day now. I'm just trying to figure out how the hell it ended up without a starter and battery and stuff. Seems a little weird but the guy says he bought it like that. He said it doesn't need the whole harness, just the battery wiring whatever that means.

I can get away with $100 or so but I dont think spending much more would go over too good at the moment.

Racerjoey1
08-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Here are the pictures the guy sent me, I haven't seen it in person yet. He texted them to me, sorry for the quality-

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/0e20ee43.jpg

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/c73a847a.jpg

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/25b89200.jpg

Here are a couple of the Z400 also-

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/cdae99d0.jpg

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/f5b4f61d.jpg

And finally, my current ride-

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/be925ac1.jpg

http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b409/JFortner5/a55445d2.jpg

JOHNDOE83
08-06-2012, 07:27 PM
And you havent traded yet because.............?

Racerjoey1
08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Because I can go in my garage, hit a button and take off.

I'm gonna do it, Ill probably do it tomorrow. I have a mtn bike I can sell if I need some extra cash for parts. I need to do it before the guy changes his mind.

Somebody sell me a starter.

HondaRacing83
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Personally I'd do the zuki and put a slip on on it. That 400ex dont look clean, it just looks like someone slapped new plastics on it

Racerjoey1
08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Thought about doing the Suzuki too. I have more pics of it, but the a-arms are all rusty, so is the front bumper, rear bar, and a lot of other stuff. It looks like it was put up wet and dirty or just left outside to me.

I do like the fact that it has reverse, and it is rideable as is. Obviously it needs front tires but I imagine I could use them until winter. I also don't mind stripping it down and repainting either, would give me something to do when its cold outside.

I realize this is predominantly a Honda forum, but the Suzuki intrigues me. But then again so does the simplicity of the 400EX.

300exBorg
08-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Personally I would see what's up with the ex first. If that ends up falling through then take a look at the z.

smorris1
08-07-2012, 07:06 AM
The ex looks like its head gasket is leaking in the second pic. I personally think the Z looks in better shape. And just repaint the a arms that's what I did to my 400ex when i bought it.

quadmanw
08-07-2012, 09:54 AM
both quads need some work.. The Z looks like its in better condition but both need 4 new tires..

CJM
08-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Check the swingarm for cracks on the Z.

Racerjoey1
08-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by smorris1
The ex looks like its head gasket is leaking in the second pic. I personally think the Z looks in better shape. And just repaint the a arms that's what I did to my 400ex when i bought it.

Wow good eye. I might have missed that even in person. I'm gonna try and see the z400 today. The guy seems honest while talking to him. The owner of the 400ex is a little sketchy and keeps texting me like he's trying to unload it really fast.

HondaRacing83
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
i presonally really like zukis and wouldnt mind getting one. i think the yellow ones are pretty sick with black seat and frame. a good set of meats, handguards and a slip on and filter thatll be avreal nice bike.

Otis.Leo
08-09-2012, 07:52 AM
i see you have a gun/ bow rack on the ol' Pol.. so i would guess you hunt.. i am also a hunter and have a 400ex. my brother has a z. both are great great bikes. we had a i think 85 zuki 230. still have it, great for hunting.. i dont have reverse, my brother does and when cruising the woods scouting and looking for new spots, pulling bushes out, yadda yadda yadda... the reverse on the z400 is hands down the most awesome thing to have. i love my quad for the trail riding but when it comes to hunting and work time.... having no reverse blows.. from a guy who uses a 400 for EVERYTHING to and guy who probably will too.. i say go for the Suzuki.

AtvKid4Eva
08-09-2012, 08:48 AM
fromt he pics, the 400ex looks like it might have a blown head gasket? Looks a little dark in that area. Check that before you trade, but wither way i would still trade that trailboss even if i had to rebuild the entire 400ex motor lol.

AtvKid4Eva
08-09-2012, 08:49 AM
oops didnt see someone said that in page 2

Racerjoey1
08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Well my boss had the gun racks on it when I got it. I do hunt some but not enough to need or want a utility quad.

Ruby Soho
08-10-2012, 04:09 PM
yeah that 400ex's gasket looks popped.

first things id look @ on a 400 is the frame where the front shocks mount, the swingarm bearings, axle bearings, and the headgasket.

KKiowaTJ
08-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Both will require the same amount of $$ to get either up to par. IMO id rather have a honda in a box than a new suzuki z. I use my 400 for farm use, Trails and mild mx and it gets the job done and then some.

To each their own, Id rather rebuild the honda. Cost less and will still have a better re-sale value. You can get the starter off ebay for cheap and make your own wire harness or plug. If the HG is going ride it till winter or it blows all out and put some new rings and a XR gasket on it. Good luck either way

Racerjoey1
08-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Well just to update this, I got the Z400 today. I'm sure I would have been happy with the 400EX too (well I know I would I had one) but having reverse is a real big plus for me since I ride trails only. That and I'm a wuss compared to you guys I'm sure so if I want to back up and go around something I can.

My plan as of now, is to clean it up the best I can and just work out any bugs I find and ride it. During the winter I plan on taking it apart and cleaning it up really good and paint or maybe powdercoat the frame. I'll ride these tires out until winter also and at the least get two new fronts.

I really appreciate all of the responses to my post. Hopefully I will get a few years of enjoyment out of the ole Z.

QuadOwner
08-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Racerjoey1
Well just to update this, I got the Z400 today. I'm sure I would have been happy with the 400EX too (well I know I would I had one) but having reverse is a real big plus for me since I ride trails only. That and I'm a wuss compared to you guys I'm sure so if I want to back up and go around something I can.

My plan as of now, is to clean it up the best I can and just work out any bugs I find and ride it. During the winter I plan on taking it apart and cleaning it up really good and paint or maybe powdercoat the frame. I'll ride these tires out until winter also and at the least get two new fronts.

I really appreciate all of the responses to my post. Hopefully I will get a few years of enjoyment out of the ole Z.

by looking at both quads, i woulda probably got the z too.

Racerjoey1
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I only paid $250 for the Trail Boss and I traded even. I figured I would come out ok either way I went.

It needs a little work, but it's nothing a little time and money can't fix.

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas.