View Full Version : Primitive mx issue.... Newbie problem

wfo4rv
08-06-2012, 11:47 AM
So I did some harescrambles been Riding awhile. Just recently got into mx. I'm a really smally and light guy too. So whenever I went to jump my whole body including feet lifted off the bike. It didn't matter how much I gripped the tank with my knees I still flew up. If someone can help me with my bad technique lemme know. Don't bash me either please. Thanks!

Stickman400
08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
How much do you weigh? I weigh 130lbs. and I have no problem staying on the bike when taking off a ramp. I do know that you want to stay limber and bend at the knees when going up the ramp, don't keep your legs locked because then the force gets sent straight through you and forces you up and off at the lip. As you go up the takeoff bend your knees and start to squat down nearer to the seat, then stand back up as you launch off the lip.

HondaRacing83
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
dont sit down.. lol

wfo4rv
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm 125, and I wasn't sitting. Only made that mistake once lol

TheLane
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
yeah buddy that is something that will come with time, eventually you will learn to anchor yourself to the bike.

bend your knees, move with the quad, youll get the hang of it. Just keep hitting them jumps!

wfo4rv
08-06-2012, 12:43 PM
And I thought xc to mx wouldn't be a big leap lol. But yeah I'll try moving with the quad and try to get there. It doesn't help that it was an ungroomes rough as hell track

ltrfofiddy32
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
with time you will get it man no worries. when i first started i was stiff and sketchy when i jumped. now i throw my 450 around like a bike. you just have to feel it out and spend time on it.

slightlybent47
08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
How much you weigh should have nothing to do with it.
Sounds like you may have a suspension problem. Technique may need work.

If everything is set up correctly you should not have to force the bike in any way when you jump.
When you leave the face of the jump, most beginners and even some veteran riders will let the bike influence them. You should always be in control, even in the air. Ride the bike in the air just like you do on the ground.
In other words don’t just go limp when your in the air and wait for the landing. Keep riding it.
When you’re in the air, stay ready to shift your weight and work the controls like the breaks, throttle and clutch or shift gears.
You can jump from a standing or sitting passion it really doesn’t mater, once you get the hang of it.

The most important thing to remember is to stay smooth on the gas all the way up the face till you leave the ground.

The size and shape, length of the jump, have everything to do with how you attack it.
Once you get the hang of it, you can start working on deferent techniques, like scrubbing and preloading.
Start small and practice.

Kovatch
08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
You stated you squeeze the tank with your knees. I am 6'4" so I have a high center of gravity and notice on a few jumps that I get bucked off the seat. Try to slide your butt farther back on the seat and squeeze the frame rails with the ankles. There's more area for your boots/ankles/legs to squeeze than just your knees. It will (most of the time) keep you planted.

I have tried to ride without squeezing on those jumps and it's trecherous (for me).

Jake250ex
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
sounds like your way to stiff and locking your joints out

DP #000
08-07-2012, 10:06 PM
it all comes with seat time. try riding everyday, and find someone with there own track. that helps lol

bbender85
08-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Sounds like you may have a suspension problem...

yep. if you're as small and light as you say you are, your rear shock is probably way too stiff and is rebounding too fast on the face of the jump after you start to come up the face. probably need a revalve/respring to do it right, but try turning your rebound as far down as you can and see what you come up with..