PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil/clutch question?

Modge518
03-08-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a 02 400ex that is being prepared to go to the shop for it's initial service. I spoke to the Honda mechanic and said that I was providing him with some synthetic oil for use. He related that it wasn't a good idea to add synthetic oil to the engine unless I first soaked a new set of clutch cloth pads in the synthetic oil so they would be absorbed. He said if we just added synthetic oil to the engine, it wouldn't mix with the regular oil that was already soaked into the existing cloth clutch pads and make the clutch slip.
In all the threads that you folks have posted about the use and advantages of synthetic oil, I have never seen any warning excpet to make sure the engine is broken in before switching to synthetic oil. Can anyone elaborate on this issue. Thx!
:confused:

shamisc
03-08-2003, 10:10 PM
If you run synthetic oil you have to MAKE SURE that it is wet clutch compatable. If you get just any kind of synthetic, you'll be lucky to get 5 hours out of your clutch. BEEN THERE DONE THAT! I suggest using AMSOIL. It's Tha bomb! Everyone around here's uses it. But there again, make sure you get the wet clutch compatable type. It's called AMSOIL Motorcycle oil. It will tell you on the back of the bottle.

Modge518
03-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks! I have some Mobil 1 4MXT 10W-40 oil that is specifically made for 4 stroke motocycles. I know this is the good stuff and can't understand what the mechanic is worried about?

Razorback
03-09-2003, 04:48 AM
Your are fine with that. Mobil 1 will not harm your 400. The only stipulation is that when new or after you get motor work done, it should be broken in on regular oil, then you can use the synthetic.

Modge518
03-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Thanks Razor!

I thought as much.

I value the posts that I read in this forum more than what I hear from the Honda dealer!

:)

trxex
03-09-2003, 07:09 AM
i also use amsoil for motorcycles.love it

03-09-2003, 08:04 AM
There are tons of members on here using syn. oil and have been for years including myself with no issues at all except a smoother running motor..

Look in the Maint. forum for lots of good info on motor oil..