PDA

View Full Version : Kicker/Electric Start Binding

XC_Racer_129
08-04-2012, 03:06 PM
My kicker and electric start is giving me issues. When I try to kick it, I'll get a few good kicks out of it, and then it'll get stuck at the top of the stroke. I can stand on it with all my weight, and it won't move.

Backstory: I have an '09 with electric start and a kicker that I installed last winter. I was at the track two weekends ago, pulled the quad out of the trailer, hit the kicker, and it was stuck. It wouldn't budge (the day before, I had absolutely no issue riding around the yard). I tried the electric, and nothing happened. Screwed around with it for a while, decided to bump start it, and it fired. Rode back to the truck, shut it off, tried to kick it, and I couldn't get it started again with either the kicker or electric.

The two things that I thought immediately was the cam decompression or the starter clutch (which was starting to give me troubles).

If I put an allen socket on the crack, the motor turns over without any issues (this means that the decomp is working fine?)

I replaced the starter clutch this morning thinking that was my issue, which helped, but I'm still having issues. If I hit the electric start and kick at the same time, the quad starts fine. If I hit the electric, it turns over a few times, then seems to hit a hard spot and won't turn. The same thing happens when I use the kicker. I'll get a few good kicks, then it'll "jam." Nothing seemed out of the ordinary when I had the side cover off. I checked my valves and they are the same place I left them (I love kibblewhite valves).

So, now I'm at a loss. I'm not sure what to look at next. From researching a little bit, I keep hearing the "crank" word...which I'm not looking forward to.

Thanks for any help.

- Jim

XC_Racer_129
08-04-2012, 03:23 PM
My next idea is to take the side cover off again to see if I can find any binding. I'm going to try that after dinner.

DnB_racing
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
ya check your reduction gears and all there corresponding shafts and bearings,

try to make it bind before disassembly, it might still be wedged when you first take it apart, making it easier to find

sometimes the gear holder top right hand bolt will loosen up

when you assembled did you locktight that bolt? if not check that area out really good

XC_Racer_129
08-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Well, I think it's fixed. I tried to get it to bind this morning, and I couldn't. I took the side cover off again, checked it out, and didn't find any problems. I threw the battery charger on last night...I think the problem was that the battery was low from me trying get it running when it happened the first time, so the starter couldn't turn the motor over, and it wasn't disengaging. So I was trying to kick with the starter engaged. Simple fix, I should have thought of that sooner. lol.

DnB_racing
08-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by XC_Racer_129
I'll get a few good kicks, then it'll "jam." Nothing seemed out of the ordinary when I had the side cover off.
- Jim this statement still has me a little concerned,

nothing associated wit your battery being dead will make the kicker jam,the starter just turns, it doesnt engage or disengage, its in contact with the starting gears all the time, the one way starter clutch is made to slip in one direction,

on a side note: if It was me i wouldn't use the estart and kick at the same time,
you stand a chance of the kicker getting kicked back, and could break your cases,

along with putting force in the wrong direction, on the one way bearings in your starter clutch, this could cause things to jam, and "might" be what your original issue originated from

but as i said, only use one method of starting at the same time, especially until your sure there are no other issues

XC_Racer_129
08-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
this statement still has me a little concerned,

nothing associated wit your battery being dead will make the kicker jam,the starter just turns, it doesnt engage or disengage, its in contact with the starting gears all the time, the one way starter clutch is made to slip in one direction,

on a side note: if It was me i wouldn't use the estart and kick at the same time,
you stand a chance of the kicker getting kicked back, and could break your cases,

along with putting force in the wrong direction, on the one way bearings in your starter clutch, this could cause things to jam, and "might" be what your original issue originated from

but as i said, only use one method of starting at the same time, especially until your sure there are no other issues

I don't like to use both at the same time, but it was a last ditch effort at trying to get it started. I figured I would try it, and it worked. I hear of guys using both at the start of a race, but I'm not a fan of doing that. lol.

I hear what you are saying about the starter. My old starter clutch was worn and I could hear the starter spinning when I would kick occasionally, which I thought was my original problem. I haven't heard that since I put the new one in. So you're correct saying that the electric/battery wouldn't affect that. Now that I'm sitting here thinking about it more, I'm starting to get more concerned.

I'm pretty good with quads, and am very mechanically inclined, but when it comes to motor/trans problems, I'm not a great trouble shooter.

I started it 3 times in the garage and it seems fine now. I'm going to try to start it a few times to see what happens. I guess if it does it again, it's time for a trip to the quad shop for a rebuild.

Thanks for the help and tips, I appreciate it!

XC_Racer_129
08-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Back to this problem. :ermm:

I rode the quad over the weekend. I had issues on and off. I tore everything apart tonight, and put it back together.

Long story short, If I take the plug out, the motor turns over without and issue. If I put the plug back in, I can barely kick it over. The valves are dead on, so I'm guessing it's the auto decompressor. Since I have an '09 and they aren't adjustable, I think this might be the perfect excuse to throw in a new cam and switch to the old style decompressor.