PDA

View Full Version : water pump weep hole leak driving me nuts

rtrocket59
08-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Just bought an 04 450r. The kid said it has been sitting for awhile. Noticed a little oil all over one the bolts on the crankcase cover. Replaced the gasket, along with new right side crank cover, mechanical seals, water pump seals, water pump bearing, water pump cover seal and impeller, and some nice CV4 hoses.

The atv would leak out the weep hole drop by drop very slowly without the quad not even on at first than i pulled it apart again and realized i forgot the copper sealing washer and had the water pump seal on backwards.

Leak stops. Now when the quad is running i get the same leak when idling and even after a few pulls down the street. but when the atv is off the leak stops. After riding for a while the engine has a really bad cooling down click like a lot of fords do.

I've done literally everything on the right side to fix this leak and its driving me nuts.

Anybody have input on what the problem would be? I have 10 days before I go to college football camp and after putting 800 bucks into this quad I want to at least get one good ride and maybe a race out of it with out blowing the motor. Thanks for looking!:D

DnB_racing
08-04-2012, 08:53 AM
sounds like you might have damaged the seal when reversing it

rtrocket59
08-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I never started the quad while the seal was reversed.

I was doing some yard work today using the quad for transportation, I let it idle while I wasn't riding it and out of the blue it stopped leaking. Did a few hard pulls down the street and it was still good. Maybe there's no more fluid left? The reservoir was at the lower point. I don't know, I'm going to check once it cools down. Hopefully the seals just were not broken in.

Does the white part of the water pump seal face the impeller or the mechanical seal? This will tell whether i had it on backwards or not.

rageatvlawson8
08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
white faces the seal. Bad mechanical seal is gonna be your problem if it keeps leaking. If you had it white facing impellar then it probably worn the mech seal alittle untill you turned it around the right way. Then it might have sealed up again after turning back around right way

rtrocket59
08-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by rageatvlawson8
white faces the seal. Bad mechanical seal is gonna be your problem if it keeps leaking. If you had it white facing impellar then it probably worn the mech seal alittle untill you turned it around the right way. Then it might have sealed up again after turning back around right way

Well that means i had it right the first time.... looks like its time to pull the cover again, throw a different seal in and hope for the best.

rtrocket59
08-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I put the seal the way rageatvlawson8 suggested and it leaked a lot worse. Leaks the same with the seal the other way when the engine off and when the engine was running it made a huge mess in my garage.

I than reversed the seal the "wrong way" and put a brand new impeller in and it still leaks when running. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DnB_racing
08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
check the shaft for wear if seals are good there must be too much clearence between shaft and seal