PDA

View Full Version : want to run 22s all they way around

bergoff
08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Well went for a ride and got a flat. A huge gash in the rear side wall. I only trail ride and pull the kids on a sled in the winter and want more ground clearance. I've been looking at some Kenda Kutters on ITP. 112 rims black. What should I run to keep my gearing close to stock I was thinking maybe dropping 1 tooth in the front. My gearing is stock now and motor is stock except for timing key, jetted, and lexx slipon. I need to ride more I'm actually still on the original tires and it's an 02. :D

HondaRacing83
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
thatd look retarded. atleast do 23 fronts and 22 rears if your gonna do something like that but im never stuck with my 20rears and 21 fronts and i ride some knarly ****

400exwhipper
08-03-2012, 01:29 AM
I must say aside from looks the 22s give quite a boost in traction

bergoff
08-03-2012, 05:55 AM
I wasn't sure if 23s would clear my air scoops. I ride some rocky stuff and well be going to denver next summer. You need more clearen be cause i was dragging the skid plate all day with my fat *** on it.

TacicalRedneck
08-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
thatd look retarded. atleast do 23 fronts and 22 rears if your gonna do something like that but im never stuck with my 20rears and 21 fronts and i ride some knarly ****

same lol

dealer told me the strongest rims you'll ever have will be the stock rims, 6-ply 20's ought to be fine... 21's in the front..

Pittsburgh400ex
08-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Will pull 22's fine. You want the GC for the snow and the kids. No need for 23's on the front lol. Who cares what it looks like? If it does the job you want it to do, its fine. People who worry about how their quads look dont ride them hard enough. Ive run old 25" McCreary trailbreaker tires on my 300ex for the snow. It did what i wanted it to.

2001400exrida
08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
i usually run 20's in the rear with 21's in front for woods. I had 22's for a season and ran them with 22 fronts and everything was fine. the four wheeler didn't appear to be tilted forward at all. I personally think 22's are too tall for 20" rears, but they will go just fine with 22" rears.

powerbomb400
08-03-2012, 02:15 PM
I run 22's on the rear and 23" on the front. The 22's make a world of difference on the rear clearance.

bergoff
08-03-2012, 07:51 PM
What gearing would you suggest. And does anyone run those ITP 112 rims. I don't jump to hard anymore I've sprained both my wrists and it hurts to bad anymore. I'm one that likes to have a pretty quad also.

powerbomb400
08-03-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm running 14/39. I was running 13/38 but I wanted more top end.

mainah
08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
same lol

dealer told me the strongest rims you'll ever have will be the stock rims, 6-ply 20's ought to be fine... 21's in the front..

I am new to this site so I really don't want to offend anybody but the fact that actually two of you think that 22" tires on front and back wont LOOK good and the fact that you listen to what your dealer tells you almost makes your input on the op's question pretty unreliable...lol When I read this I thought he was more worried about performance issues.. :o

JOHNDOE83
08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by mainah
I am new to this site so I really don't want to offend anybody but the fact that actually two of you think that 22" tires on front and back wont LOOK good and the fact that you listen to what your dealer tells you almost makes your input on the op's question pretty unreliable...lol When I read this I thought he was more worried about performance issues.. :o

Never trust the dealer, they are nothing but salesmen.

If you bring your atv there for jetting, they will do nothing more then turn out your a/f screw, charge you a outrageous amount of money and tell you everythings fine when its not.

I once went to the honda dealer to buy jetts, the first question out of the service techs mouth was "Why would you have to change the jetts".

I once brought my ford to the dealer, it randomly would had a cylinder misfire and would act like it was running out of gas and the a/c would stop working at the same time. The fuel pump worked fine and everything else worked fine but intermittenly these porblems would occure while driving.

I told the dealer "its not the fuel pump" Ive changed it out and that is not the problem.

After my ford was there for a week they called me and said its the fuel pump and its $450 to fix. I told them they have no clue what they are doing and I would come pick it up that day and not to do any work to it.

After some online searching, it was discovered that the #21 wire at the harness was broken, further investigation revealed that it was broke at the wire harness, a simple wire crimp and the ford ran better then it ever has.

Long story short, dont trust the dealer, dont even trust the mechanic or the machine shop.

They are only there to do their one job and thats all they know.

Last time I was at the drag strip, there was a zuki 450 that was racing, he had his mechanic there, everyone there said that guys amazing with atvs, the zuki was revving up at the line then after launch was popping and a lil spark would come out of the exhaust, this would happen every shift down the track.

They couldnt figure it out to save their lives, all it needed was richer jetting. I tried to help and ask if they had bigger jets, the reply was "its backfiring to much and the power seems weak, I doubt the jetts have anything to do with it".

So I said ok man and walked away.

bergoff
08-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I never trust them. Half the times they are snot nosed kids and think they know everything. They told me when I traded my 02 crf450r even up for my 02 400ex privately that I was ripped off and that the crf didn't require as much maintenance. Well they are rock heads. The only thing I buy from them is oil filters and oil because their prices are good. I do most of my wrenching myself unless I don't have the tool or the time then it goes to a friends house that's an awesome mechanic and builds motocross engines and races himself. Plus he only charges me beer and a nice home cooked supper from my wife.

JOHNDOE83
08-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Your right, the 02 crf 450r is on craigslist all day for $1200.

A 02 400ex is always between $1200-$3000 depending on mods.

That was a even trade for things that both parties wanted to trade for, nothing wrong with that.

And the people I know that have crf450s have been through many more valves and pistons then my 01 440ex ever has, So by the dealers standards how is that more reliable or easier maintenence? That statement by the dealer almost doesnt even make sense.

The only thing I would want a crf over a 400ex would be to swap motors even though they are less reliable I mainly drag race and the power and speed is all that matters for me, that is the only benefit of the crf450r.

bergoff
08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
I loved my crf but it wasn't practical anymore trying to teach my son to ride his crf50. I seen an ad on Craigslist for my 400ex and asked about a trade. It was 15 below 0 and he wanted to see my bike run. I had my kerosene shop heater in the bed of the truck and fired it up in the drive way trying to warm my bike up. Thank God it started on the 3rd kick. He actually just sold it after 3 years. It didnt look like he rode it much. I asked if he ever touched the top end and he said no. I never did either. The only thing that i miss is the torque but i will never get rid of my 400ex. I just wish that I was able to ride more. Between work and kids I don't get out but a few times a year.

TacicalRedneck
08-06-2012, 07:56 AM

I was buying beadlocks at the time...

OP asked about the itp wheels..

It's a sport quad, it's normal to run 1" bigger in the front....

2001400exrida
08-06-2012, 09:09 AM

couldn't agree more. 22's on both ends will work just fine. the stock wheels are aluminum and bend very easy. Please don't trust the dealer. Definitely not good input, could be more harmful than good.

TacicalRedneck
08-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I've seen a LOT of bent douglas aluminum wheels, but heres a quote from another site:

The stock 400EX rims are going to be stronger than the Douglas .190 rims because of the rolled edge. Something with a rolled edge or reinforcement ring or beadlock will also be stronger than just a plain .190 rim.

Stock rims should hold up fine for the op.... Heard this from the dealer and 2 other guys from a quick verify search :D

Surely theres a reason we run 1" higher in the front.... lol i just don't know why to be honest.......

CJM
08-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Stock wheels are the best for the money, you really have to beat them to ruin or even dent them.

I have douglass backs and they dent and chipped way to easily.

As for why we run slightly higher in the front, clearance.

2001400exrida
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
It depends on what douglas wheel you're talking about. They've got 3 or 4 different thickness's, and i'm betting you guys are talking about the thinnest ones.

Stock rims are great for the money, nobody's arguing that, but they are weak compared to many aftermarket wheels.

bergoff
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I'm not asking about Douglas rims or stock rims either. I have an extra set of rears with mud sharks that I use in the winter if my friend don't need them. I'm asking about gearing and ITP. 112 rims. I don't race and I've heard that they will snap if jumped really hard. I only trail ridea and play in the mud.

HondaRacing83
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
they are the ss 112 rims right? worst rim and dont belong on sport quads. they are heavy as ever. my dad has them on his grizzly and they hold up but i dont believe in them on a sport quad.

CJM
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I have the best douglass non beadlocks they make, they still bent and there are pretty much no rocks where I ride.

Anyways as for the itp ss112s, I wouldnt waste my money on them unless all you ride is the dunes, they will get ruined and all the money you spent on such nice wheels wont be worth it.

HondaRacing83
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
beadlocks, reinforced rims or stock rolled lip is the only way to go. i like itp bajas or dwt evos. theres rock beadlocks too that are very very cheap