PDA

View Full Version : Holeshot tips?

01boneless
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
hey guys A few weeks ago I ran my 450 in a fair mx race first one I have done on my 450. Long story short i done awsome in practice (ran about 2nd) but when it came to the race I had trouble with my rear tires holding air so i had about 8 psi in them on a muddy track, anyhow i was on the limeter gate drops got a good take off but as soon as the rears came off the gate and hit dirt (mud) i spun the rear sideways bumped another quad which made me slow down to gain controll back then as I tried to catch back up i was wide open and rear ended a yfz hard as he slowed down for the first turn, my quad flipped 5 times got knocked out then ran over by another quad, Got a broken wrist and concussion (pretty lucky). Now there is another race coming up in about a month that I wanna try to run in. But i need tips for the holeshot other then run lower psi lol keep in mind this is a fair race and they allow all the hillbillys on there utilitys and then theres a few of us built race quads. so at the 50ft gate there will be prolley 15 quads at a close start. thanks guys!!!

HondaRacing83
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Sit at the back of the quad for holeshott more traction run lower psi

01boneless
08-02-2012, 12:53 PM
id do one i get taken off....with about 55hp you have to be on the tank at the gate

chronicsmoke
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
id do one i get taken off....with about 55hp you have to be on the tank at the gate

:D

I do the same.. on hard pack even if I'm on the tank it'll try and wheelie.. as soon as I know I wont go back I slide to the back to get more weight over the rear tires..

You're starting in second, boneless? Before the gate drops, try and pack the ground down where you're tires will be, and new tires help more than you'd think..

I don't hold it at the rev limiter before.. maybe 3-4 seconds at 1/2-3/4 throttle and then WFO when the gate drops.

You'll take some holeshots with that beast yet ;)

Edit: How's your recovery coming?

01boneless
08-02-2012, 02:21 PM
yea im ganna drop psi some next time and try it i wheelied on the take off and had to slip the clutch but no biggie.
and good get the cast off in a week then its time to get the new rear setup on and head to new vienna

08-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Where did you get your quad dyno'd? Sounds like she runs good!

slightlybent47
08-02-2012, 07:51 PM
You should be on the tank on launch then slid back as you move down the track.
Some like to dump the clutch but most feather it out the gate.
Start out in second and feather the clutch out of the gate. When you learn how to feather the clutch properly, you should be able to keep the front on the ground but still get off the gate quickly.
Watch some pro starts in slow mo and watch how they come off the line.
Most people don’t practice it enough, they go out and ride like hell but never practice there starts.
In a 2 hour practice, 30 minuets should be spent on starts.
Get a friend to drop the gate for you to get your timing down.
Remember the start is just a small but important part of a race so I don’t recommend using tire pressure to help unless you like that particular pressure for riding the rest of the track and its conditions.
You can’t control what the other racers do, but you can control what you do, like not running into the back of another rider. Use both front and rear breaks to slow down.
Many riders don’t use the front breaks nearly enough.

Practice, practice, practice.

slightlybent47
08-02-2012, 07:56 PM
One more thing is the condition of your rear tires. Even a slightly worn tire will not do as well as fresh rubber with sharp knobs.

I fine it better to practice your starts to completion. What I mean is don’t just go in a strait line and stop. Make a turn at the end so you can practice getting slowed down and through the corner.
Also practice starts that sweep to the right and left and not just in a strait line.
If you cant practice on a track, try to mak a spot you can use and make as close to a real start as you can.

01boneless
08-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
One more thing is the condition of your rear tires. Even a slightly worn tire will not do as well as fresh rubber with sharp knobs.

I fine it better to practice your starts to completion. What I mean is don’t just go in a strait line and stop. Make a turn at the end so you can practice getting slowed down and through the corner.
Also practice starts that sweep to the right and left and not just in a strait line.
If you cant practice on a track, try to mak a spot you can use and make as close to a real start as you can.
thanks bent you seem to have great tips! i practiced starts for like 2 hours the day before and got them great on hard packed but like i said the muddy track and psi just screwed it up oh well ill try again next time I guess, and my tires are in pretty good shape razr mx's got my rims fixed too so 3psi is what ill run on muddy tracks.....

01boneless
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 8686
Where did you get your quad dyno'd? Sounds like she runs good!

There isn't a dyno around me for miles and miles lol thats what my builder (quadified racing,out of latrobe P.A) estimated it to make based on the same setup's he has built and dyno'd

slightlybent47
08-02-2012, 10:15 PM
You never know what gate you’re going to get on the first moto so practice starting from the right side of the gate and the left and the middle. If you win the first moto you get to pick your gate on the second.
You can also use a cone in the first corner and move it around and practice going deep or cutting it sharp. You never know how the other riders will take the corner so practice checking up and avoiding them. Have a friend roll a tennis ball in front of you in deferent spots during the start and try to avoid the ball but still continue through the start, and do it all the way through the first corner.
This will help you increase your reaction time and avoid other riders.

01boneless
08-02-2012, 10:20 PM
yea where i did good in practice I got to pick the gate first...like a moron i picked the middle between two quads lol

slightlybent47
08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Quad racing is like open wheel racing in that tire to tire contact is never any good.
You definitely want to avoid tire to tire contact with another bike. Rubbing on the side is not so bad but tread to tread contact is to be avoided at all cost.
Some riders will spray the sidewalls with Armor All so if they bump wheels they can slip and not grab.

slightlybent47
08-02-2012, 10:43 PM
The general rule is to hold your line but you are not required to. Changing your direction quickly in a pack may not be safe so if you have to evade another rider make sure you’re clear to do so. You don’t want to jump out of your line if it means taking out another rider.
There’s a fine line between being reckless and being aggressive.
In most cases you’re just racing for a $10.00 trophy so try and race safe and clean.
We all have jobs and family to feed so we need to go to work on Monday.lol

blaster12s
08-03-2012, 07:50 AM
3 psi dude?
thats really low. for any type of track.

01boneless
08-03-2012, 08:26 AM
thats what i always run...works good for me

blaster12s
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
thats scary low.

Kovatch
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
In normal conditions, I run 12 & 8 psi for the front & rear, respectively. I might go down a little bit in the rear, but never lower than 5.5-6.

You are racing the faircross series. That brings out all the hill billies who tend to bump tires on all starts. Feather out the clutch when the gate drops and hammer down. Do you race any other local races where you can get gate practice?

ltrfofiddy32
08-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Nahhh man. rubbing is racing. start in 2nd gear drop the clutch and make sure you are the first person to the corner. if someone is in your way and you are faster use their tires as a berm. if you aint wrecking you aint racing. and if you aint first your last.

ltrfofiddy32
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
@blaster12s is that shane davidson? got that 470 kit in the yfz?

01boneless
08-03-2012, 03:53 PM
yea and the holeshot was about 20ft wide and 6 quads about a inch between , there were alot of crashes that night on the holeshot, just a ol fair race put on by hill billys no where to race a series around here or anything close

ltrfofiddy32
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
im telling you. pin it to win it. people will get the point when you run into them and they will stay out of your way next time.

slightlybent47
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Remember you have to finish before you can win. Trying to get too aggressive and start bumping around with other riders is most likely going to take you out of the race and may even get you hurt or killed.
If it’s a county fair race then you’re just racing for a ten dollar trophy.
If you’re racing a bunch of goons and there riding utility quads you should be able to pick them off one by one during the race so getting the hole shot may not be so important.
Ride smart, not stupid!

ltrfofiddy32
08-03-2012, 04:28 PM
everyone has a different riding style. i like to let people know im there. if they move then good. and if not then slam em in a corner.

blholtz
08-04-2012, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by ltrfofiddy32
everyone has a different riding style. i like to let people know im there. if they move then good. and if not then slam em in a corner.

With that attitude for your fellow racers I would think that sooner or later your gonna get it handed back to you. On or off the track. Ever heard the term "sportsmanship"? If not you should Learn it quickly.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by blholtz
With that attitude for your fellow racers I would think that sooner or later your gonna get it handed back to you. On or off the track. Ever heard the term "sportsmanship"? If not you should Learn it quickly.

He’s probably a beginner C rider and doesn’t know any better. And from the sound of it he thinks he knows best. Sounds like he’d fit rite in with those goons at the fair that the op is talking about.

tjsdaname
08-04-2012, 09:14 AM

your the type of rider that everyone hates. I got into it a little with someone like you at my last race, he was about 10 seconds slower them me per lap but got a better holeshot. then he decided he wanted to play bumper cars with me.....

he took a little detour off of the track..

and I wouldn't go that low on tire pressure...

ltrfofiddy32
08-04-2012, 09:59 AM
haha i have great sportsmanship actually. rubbing is racing. if you race aggressively your are more than likely going to run in to people. and no im not a beginner C rider.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 02:21 PM
haha i have great sportsmanship actually. rubbing is racing. if you race aggressively your are more than likely going to run in to people. and no im not a beginner C rider.

You’re so dumb you quote yourself and them argue with yourself. lol

I’ll bet you can’t answer the #1 way to help your starts. I’ll give you 24 hours to research and respond.
I’m going to PM 01bonless the answer rite now after I post this.

Good luck!

ltrfofiddy32
08-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I dont need to research and respond to prove anything to you. My holeshots are fine. I have the stats to prove it too. I have numerous plaques with my name on them from championships. do you?

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 02:54 PM
I dont need to research and respond to prove anything to you. My holeshots are fine. I have the stats to prove it too. I have numerous plaques with my name on them from championships. do you?

Yep I sure do!
I also have over 40 years of seat time.

Your mind is like a parachute
It works best when it’s open!

I take it you don't know the answer.

ltrfofiddy32
08-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I cant argue with 40 years of seattime. but what i can tell you is that when you race a highly competetive class in a large series you are going to run in to people.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Were not talking pro class in a national race.
Were talking about local races at the fairground.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 03:09 PM
It wasn’t a trick question, nor is it a secret.

The #1 way to help your starts.

Watch the guy running the starting gate on the other races to see how much time it takes him to drop the gate once he goes into the gate house.
Watch him and see if he is consistent every time he drops it.
If they are very consistent, you can anticipate the drop.

Some even watch the little pin that holds the gate up, it drops just a fraction of a second before the gate itself actually drops.

ltrfofiddy32
08-04-2012, 03:14 PM
you could do that, but you run a pretty big risk of hitting the gate if you anticipate it. i have never liked to do that.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
you could do that, but you run a pretty big risk of hitting the gate if you anticipate it. i have never liked to do that.

Ok so you’d rather risk crashing into another rider at speed then risk hitting a stationary gate?

01boneless
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
^Id way rather hit a gate then a rider belive me. I have a vid of my crash but there will be so much hate on how much it was my fault im not even gonna post it. lol
thanks for the advice bent you have some great tips

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 09:21 PM
^Id way rather hit a gate then a rider belive me. I have a vid of my crash but there will be so much hate on how much it was my fault im not even gonna post it. lol
thanks for the advice bent you have some great tips

Thanks man.
We all make mistakes and sometimes we do them over and over until we learn better.
What ever level a person rides at, doesn’t mean they are the only one that knows how to ride.
Anyone can just gas it and hope for the best, that doesn’t take any talent what so ever.
The best rider is a thinking rider and one that doesn’t insist on everything having to go there way all the time.
This is a sport that doesn’t really have an age limit. There riders in there 50’s that are fast as ****.
Winning or loosening a race is not the end of the world. There will be another race down the road. You can't ride if you’re not healthy and you can’t ride if your bike is trashed.

That guy will never have the respect of other riders until he calms down and gives them respect in return.

There is a pro rider that rides dirty and no one likes or respects him.
I’ll bet most everyone on here can guess who it is.
It doesn’t mean he’s not fast or is not a good rider, but he has little respect from other riders or the public.

When you have the respect and friendship of your fellow riders, it adds a whole new level to the sport. I would not want to give that up by being a dirty rider.
Being able to share tricks and techniques with your fellow riders makes everyone a better rider and makes the sport better as a whole.

slightlybent47
08-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Continuing on, there more things you can do to get a better start.

Grooming the gate. If it’s a concrete starting gate, sweeping the lose dirt off your gate is a must. Getting the dirt from under the gate and checking the gate so when it drops it lays as flat as possible. This will help keep the front down on launch and it will keep the rear tires from hopping over it when you leave the gate.
Check the ruts just past the gate, some like to pack it with there heals but depending on the soil I’ll brush the lose dirt out of the rut so I get to the good stuff underneath.

When you roll up to the gate get as strait as you can and center in the rut if it’s a dirt gate.
You want to be center in the rut so you don’t drift to the side when you come out of the gate. If it’s a full gate you want to come out strait and not drift. If you drift you may come into contact with the rider beside you and one or both of you may have to lift the gas to regain control.

Spread out on the gate and give yourself room so if you drift around a bit you don’t have to lift off the gas.

DP #000
08-07-2012, 10:14 PM
buy a holeshot device. i forget who makes them, but i think there around $200. i had one for my practice bike back in the day. couldnt get it for the race bike, because it didnt fit with my factory elkas. and also i heard if you hold down the front brake your gonna wheelie for days. i certainly knew that story with having 62hp (dynoed) coming from my ltr.

(which might be for sale, not to go off topic)

blaster12s
08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
@blaster12s is that shane davidson? got that 470 kit in the yfz?
haha yea thats me and yeaa cheap easy power.

ltrfofiddy32
08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Haha its Quiggle. Can you tell that guy that nobody has a problem with me around the track and that im well-liked. haha you been racing lately?

blaster12s
08-09-2012, 09:05 AM
haha yea bud you ripped holeshots all day.
and good broke my yfz in half at etown, borrowed a honda blew it up, borrowed another honda blew that up so yea been good haha.

ltrfofiddy32
08-09-2012, 02:56 PM
damn dude that stinks i just bought an 08 with a rage motor. hopefully it holds up. Ill be racing district 23 in minnesota as soon as i got home from this deployment.

blaster12s
08-10-2012, 09:31 AM
well you should be able to do very well out there considering how fast d6 was.