PDA

View Full Version : Got Some 4 Snows And Pro Wedge IIs And Need Help Deciding Which Ones To Run!

cheater13
08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Well i got a pretty awesome deal on some tires, but the only downside is they are 3 states away. But oh well. Anyway they are maxxis 4 snows on some type of rims. He said they were a different type of rim that don't let it expand a whole lot? I never heard of such a thing so can anyone explain?

And he had some pro wedge IIs too so i might as well get them. They only have one rim so i'll just put stock rims on them.

I'm pretty sure they both go on 9 inch wheels. I got the pair of 4 snows for 50 bucks and the pro wedge IIs for 30 bucks for the pair.

The only thing is, i don't know which set to run in a few weeks at the local drag race. I would mount both of them on rims, but i don't have an extra set of rims at the time until i get my douglas blue labels. The track is hard packed dirt because my razors spun all the time and they are pretty much brand new. I tried from 4psi the whole way down to 1psi, and they kind of hooked when i lowered the pressure to 1.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/3275c5cc.jpg

Pittsburgh400ex
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Looks like an awesome start for a tire fire!

Jt2005trx440ex
08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
those tires look like the same kind i had on my 650cc kawasaki gocart/dune buggy awhile back lol. i think u got a pretty good deal in them considering if u go buy a new set of atv tires the cheapest your gonna get them is 200 bucks

cheater13
08-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah for 80 bucks, two sets of tires aren't a bad deal! :D

I'm just having trouble choosing which set to run when i drag race since i can't mount both of them on rims at the same time.

JOHNDOE83
08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh man thats a good deal...:eek:

Im jealous...:chinese:

Run either pair, they are essentially the same tire, pro wedge is a higher quality brand but are almost identical to the 4snows, 4snows are generally just the cheaper option when racing on a budget.

If you can get them all mounted, bring both to the track and test both which ever one does better keep and the other stick a for sale sign on them at the track....:devil:

Try to get the g-force alluminium GP wheels, they are cheap and really nice and are comparable to the blue labels. Get which ever one is cheaper and they will generally benefit you the same.

I bought the blue lables because they are slightly lighter and in my lil world it is nesesscary, I do own a pair of GPs also.

If weight isnt a issue for you just get some itp steel wheels, I think they are only like $25 a piece, last time I bought some they were $20 a piece for fronts. "years ago"

The whole rims keeping the tires from expanding thing, he prob just put them on a wider rim which would have slightly less expansion. You wont have enough RPMs to expand them that much anyway so dont worry about it.

Jt2005trx440ex
08-02-2012, 07:22 PM
what kind of track are u drag racing on? sand dirt pavment? if it were pavment or dirt id say go with the smaller of the 2 sets it would give u more of a jump on the start but if its sand id probly say go with the bigger of the two sets

thats probly what i would do

cheater13
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

Run either pair, they are essentially the same tire, pro wedge is a higher quality brand but are almost identical to the 4snows, 4snows are generally just the cheaper option when racing on a budget.

If you can get them all mounted, bring both to the track and test both which ever one does better keep and the other stick a for sale sign on them at the track....:devil:

Try to get the g-force alluminium GP wheels, they are cheap and really nice and are comparable to the blue labels. Get which ever one is cheaper and they will generally benefit you the same.

I bought the blue lables because they are slightly lighter and in my lil world it is nesesscary, I do own a pair of GPs also.

If weight isnt a issue for you just get some itp steel wheels, I think they are only like $25 a piece, last time I bought some they were $20 a piece for fronts. "years ago"

The whole rims keeping the tires from expanding thing, he prob just put them on a wider rim which would have slightly less expansion. You wont have enough RPMs to expand them that much anyway so dont worry about it.
Hahaha i knew you might have been somewhat jealous! :D But, i looked into them gforce wheels and they only come in 8 inch off rockymountainatv so i might get one set of blue labels sometime for now. Or I'll just take the stockers off my old tires and put them on there for now.

But where did you find them itp ones for that cheap? And should i run them tires the opposite way they are supposed to be ran or what?

Jt2005trx440ex: It's hard packed dirt i'm running on. And i think they are both able to mount on 9 inch rims and i also think they are both 22 inches in height but expand to 24 inches. I could be wrong though.

cheater13
08-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Hahaha i knew you might have been somewhat jealous! :D But, i looked into them gforce wheels and they only come in 8 inch off rockymountainatv so i might get one set of blue labels sometime for now. Or I'll just take the stockers off my old tires and put them on there for now.

But where did you find them itp ones for that cheap? And should i run them tires the opposite way they are supposed to be ran or what?

Jt2005trx440ex: It's hard packed dirt i'm running on. And i think they are both able to mount on 9 inch rims and i also think they are both 22 inches in height but expand to 24 inches. I could be wrong though.

JOHNDOE83
08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
i was just at rockymountain, they have the gforce gp wheel in 9in.

8, 9 and 10 in actually.

cheater13
08-05-2012, 06:36 AM
I guess their not showing up on mine?
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp47/cheater13_photos/02b04e57.jpg

But should I flip them wheels and run them the opposite way than they should?

JOHNDOE83
08-05-2012, 07:36 AM
10 is 10 in

9 is 9in

and 8 is 8in

:rolleyes:

It looks like it shows up just fine.....:blah:

the first number is rim size, the second is rim width.

cheater13
08-05-2012, 09:22 AM
10 is 10 in

9 is 9in

and 8 is 8in

:rolleyes:

It looks like it shows up just fine.....:blah:

the first number is rim size, the second is rim width.

Ohh I though the last number was always rim size :P

But I checked and they are 38 apiece for the 9 inch.

Should I flip the 4 snows/pro wedges for hard packed dirt or keep them the way they are supposed to be?

JOHNDOE83
08-05-2012, 09:26 AM
they are easily flippable, you just flip the rim to the opposite side.

the only way to know whats best is testing it at the track.

I bring a ryobi battery powered impact gun with me to the track, it makes swapping sprokets and rims and removing and replaceing all bolts within minutes.

CSR400EX
08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
both tires works great for drag, 4 snows seem to wear out quicker, they use a softer rubber on them, which would work good on a hard pack surface. be prepared to strap your front end down cause its gonna hook hard!

cheater13
08-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Ok thanks guys. I might try them sandsnakes on .125 rims at the race in September then. I'll put them 4 snows and pro wedges on rims and test them out this time, sell one set and get them sandsnakes.

I just heard the same thing about 4 snows. I heard pro wedges IIs tread was harder.

And don't worry, I doubt my front is coming up. :p

Chukkinsod
08-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Many of the 4 stroke guys around here run Prowedge2 or 1. They do hook pretty hard due to the rollout. Great for med -hardpack surfaces where paddles not an option (you will rip them off) Running a larger tire will also change your gearing up a little bit so you may have to make a few adjustments.

cheater13
08-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Chukkinsod
Many of the 4 stroke guys around here run Prowedge2 or 1. They do hook pretty hard due to the rollout. Great for med -hardpack surfaces where paddles not an option (you will rip them off) Running a larger tire will also change your gearing up a little bit so you may have to make a few adjustments.
Yeah i heard alot good about pro wedge. But unfortunately, i can't get them, i can only get the 4 snows. So hopefully they will do pretty good and hook hard next friday. I'll be getting .125 rims for them sometime too.