PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension problem

bullett
07-31-2012, 07:58 PM
I sent my rear Axis shock out to GT Thunder to be rebuilt for my weight. They set it up to be used with their XC link. After I tried to install it the top of the shock head is hitting the mount preventing the shock from lining up on the bottom with the holes in the link. Anyone have this problem? I tried email Laz but hes not responding to any of my emails. Thanks

CJM
07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
I had same issue, you can get it on but it takes alot of work b/c the spring is fatter and hits the swingarm.

I had to adjust the spring with my shock on the quad.

bullett
07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm stumped. I've been trying for 2 hours and I can't get the bottom holes to line up at all. I'm wondering if I do get it mounted up, if I bottom for any reason if the frame mount will crush the top of my shock? I'm not using the stocker

Stickman400
08-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Okay so you are having a problem getting a bolt in the top shock or you aren't able to get one on the bottom? I had a problem getting one on the bottom because of how the link relocates the bottom shock mount forward. You can get it on there but it is a major pain and you just have to fudge it in there.

dustin_j
08-01-2012, 10:50 AM
If you can show a picture that would help a lot. Make sure the bottom of the frame is at least 12" off the ground. I like to put the top eyelet in first, then the bottom. Make sure your hose is routed so it won't contact anything through travel. Then, like CJM mentioned, you may need to rotate your spring so that the swingarm can fit in between the coils to line up the linkage hole. Also, check your lower shock mount to make sure that one side doesn't have more clearance than the other. If you need to, rotate the bottom eyelet to make sure the clearanced side is forward (don't unbolt anything, just turn it). Everything fits pretty tight, but works great once installed. I hope this helps.

Dustin

CJM
08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I actually found that if you had the shock with less preload on it thenit would fit. Then you gotta set the preload when its on the quad.

bullett
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by dustin_j
If you can show a picture that would help a lot. Make sure the bottom of the frame is at least 12" off the ground. I like to put the top eyelet in first, then the bottom. Make sure your hose is routed so it won't contact anything through travel. Then, like CJM mentioned, you may need to rotate your spring so that the swingarm can fit in between the coils to line up the linkage hole. Also, check your lower shock mount to make sure that one side doesn't have more clearance than the other. If you need to, rotate the bottom eyelet to make sure the clearanced side is forward (don't unbolt anything, just turn it). Everything fits pretty tight, but works great once installed. I hope this helps.

Dustin

Thanks man I set the quad at exactly 12" off the ground and after some hard pulling I finally got the bolts to line up. Im going to post a pic later of where the top eyelet mounts. I have maybe 1/16 between the shock head and the frame mount. When I jump will this damage the shock head? Im talking when the shock fully extends. Thanks again

dustin_j
08-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by bullett
Thanks man I set the quad at exactly 12" off the ground and after some hard pulling I finally got the bolts to line up. Im going to post a pic later of where the top eyelet mounts. I have maybe 1/16 between the shock head and the frame mount. When I jump will this damage the shock head? Im talking when the shock fully extends. Thanks again

If you can post a picture I'll be able to tell if you're alright or not. I don't think you have a problem, but a picture would let me clarify what you're asking and answer with more confidence.

bullett
08-02-2012, 08:22 PM
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s332/mbullett1/DSCN2714.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. There is very little room between the mount and the shock head.

CJM
08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Its bolted in there with clearance to spare-even if it is close. It cant contact as far as I know.

bullett
08-02-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm just worried about when I hit a jump. When I was trying to put this on the shock head was touching that mount.

CJM
08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Where did you get that shock, it doesnt look like a stock shock.

bullett
08-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Its actually not the stocker its an Axis shock

dustin_j
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
You will be fine. Like CJM stated, it's a bolted mount, so the head will never get closer to the mount, it will just rotate around the bolt. The shock will rotate back as it compresses; you can see you gain clearance in this direction on the mount. If it clears when the rear tires are off the ground, then it will clear through all the travel. It is good you are paying attention when installing new parts, though. You can get into trouble if you don't check things out; nice work. Custom Axis shocks are a good choice!

Dustin

bullett
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Phew. Thanks man. I was just worried haha. I dumped so much money into this shock between 2 rebuilds and paying for it and I didn't want to destroy it in 15 minutes haha. Thanks again for the all the help fellas

2001400exrida
08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Where did you get that shock, it doesnt look like a stock shock.

he said in the first post it's an axis shock that he sent out to gt thunder.

just like dustin said, you actually gain clearance when it pivots, the shock is most likely in there the most snug when it's sitting straight like that.

bullett
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I went out today and jacked my quad up and the shock is hitting the mount. I jacked it up to right before the tires leave the ground and the measurement from my grab bar to the ground is 32". On the ground the grab bar measure 28" to the ground. Its starting to indent the top of the shock head.

dustin_j
08-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Sorry, I thought you took the picture with the rear tires off the ground. It sounds like you need to file/grind a little off the mount to make sure it clears. Don't take off any more than you need and you'll be fine. Would you mind showing a picture of the shock mount with the tires off the ground? I think you'll find the contact is minimal, but it'd be a good idea to clearance the mount to keep from scraping up the sweet Axis shock!

bullett
08-04-2012, 09:06 AM
I'll try to get a pic today, my wife has the camera right now unfortunately. I figured I would have to grind a little bit. Will this make the mount weak, or make my frame rust?

bullett
08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s332/mbullett1/DSCN2715.jpg

This is the best pic I could get. Also the spring is touching the swingarm, that gonna be a problem?

bullett
08-04-2012, 09:58 AM
http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s332/mbullett1/DSCN2717.jpg

Stickman400
08-04-2012, 12:07 PM
That's the clearance issue that CJM was referring to with the spring contacting swingarm. You have to set your ride height and make sure the spring is turned so that the gap in the spring is right where yours is contacting now. I can post a pic of mine if you don't understand. As for the top, I would just carefully shave the top of the shock body down with a file or hit it very lightly with a grinder. Just take a little off at a time and check it everytime after you take of a 1/16" or so.

dustin_j
08-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by bullett
I'll try to get a pic today, my wife has the camera right now unfortunately. I figured I would have to grind a little bit. Will this make the mount weak, or make my frame rust?

I don't think you'll have to file/grind very much off. I think it's just he square corner of the mount you are hitting. If you file off just the corner it'll probably clear. I would prefer to grind the little bit on the frame over grinding the shock body. It would be a good idea to wipe a little paint on the raw edge you make to prevent future rust.

Stickman answered you on the spring; it's what we were referring to earlier. Everything fits pretty tight, but you'll love the ride!

bullett
08-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to file a little bit off the frame mount and then try to mount it back up. Hopefully it will be easier mounting the shock after filing some of the mount off. Last time was awful haha

bullett
08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
I filed the frame mount down a little bit tonight and it lined up PERFECT. It was so much easier this time around when I had to line up the bottom holes with the holes on the link. No pulling required whatsoever. Thanks for all the help

dustin_j
08-12-2012, 06:21 AM
No problem, I'm glad you got it fixed!