holeshot19
03-08-2003, 06:32 PM
who makes the sleave that comes in the ims 440 kits

Big - D Racing
03-09-2003, 02:40 AM
L.A. Sleeve Company

nick23
03-09-2003, 08:48 AM
just get a stock sleve that is bored out!

Juggalo
03-09-2003, 08:02 PM
ummmm pretty sure you can't bore a stock sleeve that much!! :rolleyes:

e gracie
03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
just took mine apart ims 440 kit. all seams fine but only giving 90psi on tester wat av i dun wrong now. now going to remove base gasket . should i deck the barrel also best i can read it its approx 28 thou in the jug with base gasket . using milled out std steel gasket next time round last 1 came with the ims kit any ideas guys,,, best route to take.

holeshot19
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
i didnt even get that about 70psi ive gotin so dissuct with this thing my 416 didnt give me any trouble. i paid some jackas* and i let me down in the gncc race in ga hel1 i finshed second in fl and was runing third when it quit.

quadman21
03-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Holeshot19, Are you saying your 440 let you down? I bought my 440 parts seperate. Advanced sleeve, weisco 89mm piston, and cometic steel gaskets. Hasn't let me down yet (knock on wood). That sucks that it broke down. However, I did have a lot of trouble at first with it blowing head gaskets. Everyone kept telling me I was SOL and the 440 was too much for the studs. Well, in my opinon, that's just nonsense. I'm not even running a true 11:1 because I never had my cylinder decked. Just some joker who did the work didn't clean the studs and threads very well and cross threaded it when they put the studs back in. I just bought a new cylinder from honda and did it all again. This time I put the studs in myself after I cleaned it. No problems since and it's been about a year.

holeshot19
03-11-2003, 06:01 PM
wish i could smile i got a 440 kit from magic racing the week before the first mideast race and got shon to have his quy install it. well i got it back and put it back together and its low on comression has only 60psi well i run it in that first mud fest and finshed 4th in a class it dosent have good bottom end but i made good lines during the race. tore it down monday and checked every thing and the intake valves are seeping a litte so i orderd new valves and installed a new set of rings this makes 2 sets of rings only ran motor one race took it to fl and finshed second in jr but engine still has low comression so by now im pissed so a-s-s around when i got back from fl so i got a new head and put it on before i went to ga well still low on comp i got on sat to race well its a bad sign when i get it off the truck and the only way it will start is to have it dragged off.but i raced a half a lap before it quit. so i order a new cly and a .80 over piston going back to a 416 motor it lasted half a year and i was having fun sorry so long eddy.

@Bad465EX
03-11-2003, 06:18 PM
I never had any problem with mine when it was a 440

ptomp
03-11-2003, 06:53 PM
it sounds like none of you guys or your tecks are checking the squish clearance between the piston and head. The squish for an air cooled 4 stroke should be 1.25mm this is a reliable clearance spec,you could run it tighter but this is what i use for all my air cooled motors any less the piston will hit the head when running at redline under high loads. Any more clearance and compression will suffer and the cumbustion efficency will suffer. squish is measured by placing little balls of modeling clay on the piston around the outter perimeter of the dome. instal the piston on the rod no need for clips or rings install the base gasket ,cyl, head gasket ,and the head .torque down the head and cyl ,turn the crank one revoultion. disasemble remove the piston measure the clay and you have the actual clearance between the head and cyl "squish clearance" note check the clearance in many spots. add base gaskets or plane the cyl to get the required clearance. I am a honda and ducati teck and any time i install any non oem pistons or cyl i do this because all it takes is one mistake buy the piston suplier or the person instaling the sleve and you could have a catastrofic engine failure

holeshot19
03-11-2003, 07:09 PM
but thats not the problem i removed the rocker box.and install a cly leak down gauge well its leaking pressue around the rings not the head gasket but you can hear it in the crank case take the timming plug out it blows out of it i rehoned the cly and install new rings i have the guys at the honda dealer check it 4 cly taper and had the piston and cly miked and check the ring gaps so i dont know

quadman21
03-12-2003, 05:55 AM
I hope it's nothing too serious. Like you said, your 416 hasn't let you down. You've done well at the Mid east with it so may be you should go that same route in this 400? I think 440 kits are kind of like buying cars. Some you'll never have trouble with and some you will. I think it also depends on the person doing the machine work. FYI I had my 440 honed before i got the new cylinder and I had blow by through my rings. That old clylinder I could never get right. It even losened and shifted to where I had oil seeping between the sleeve and cylinder. Just food for thought. You and Shon know morw about engines than I do, I'm just shooting out ideas for ya. By the way, are you bringing you 416 to Uncle lems Sunday?

holeshot19
03-12-2003, 03:27 PM
may drag out the old dinosor. that old no link lonestar i hate to. the thing is just 2 much 2 handle im thinking i might take the powervalve engine off and put on a 300 trinty engine i has a lot of botton end and midrange but it dosent fell like its ripping my arms out of the sockets. hope to get the 400 going youll have to check out my new gpr pampener out and roll stem.:scary: :mad:

holeshot19
03-12-2003, 03:27 PM
may drag out the old dinosor. that old no link lonestar i hate to. the thing is just 2 much 2 handle im thinking i might take the powervalve engine off and put on a 300 trinty engine i has a lot of botton end and midrange but it dosent fell like its ripping my arms out of the sockets. hope to get the 400 going youll have to check out my new gpr pampener out and roll stem.:scary: :mad:

holeshot19
03-12-2003, 03:30 PM
i think im going to send the cly and a new head out to duncan and have the fix i up. it willl cost mw but ill feel better if its all good:confused2

quadman21
03-13-2003, 06:05 AM
I will come check it out. Do you like the GPR? I'm just running the PEPS but was looking at getting the GPR or even WER.

holeshot19
03-13-2003, 07:39 PM
seems to be killer. all though sometimes i catch myself looking down at it during a race a wondering if i should play with it:eek2:

quadman21
03-14-2003, 05:53 AM
I'll have to see how much quadshop sells them for. See ya Sunday!

quadman21
03-14-2003, 05:53 AM
I'll have to see how much quadshop sells them for. See ya Sunday!