PDA

View Full Version : First time LT250r Owner,Help needed

Ciaran
07-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I bought an lt250r about a year ago with the intentions of restoring it but i soon realized it was to far gone,But yesterday a friend rang me and was stuck for cash an offered me another one for 200 euro (near mint) with a seized engine,Im hoping to make a good quad from the one I had from the beginning, The one I will be using as a doner quad is an 88 (As far as i can tell from the engine codes) The seizes engine was going perfect my mates said until it just stopped one day and wont kick and seemed to be sezied soild,He had a guy strip the engine and was told there was a bearing or something missing from the exhaust to make it seize,Any ideas what it could have been?And can i swap most parts from engine to engine,Sorry for the long and babbling post!

bobbo97f150
07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
You might try posting this in the Suzuki LT250R section. You'll probably get better ideas.

Based on your description, I'm pretty confident that your muffler bearing went out...

Ciaran
07-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by bobbo97f150
You might try posting this in the Suzuki LT250R section. You'll probably get better ideas.

Based on your description, I'm pretty confident that your muffler bearing went out...

Im new here and not sure what im doing to be honest:( Would a muffler bearing cause a moter to lock up?Would it damage a piston or any other part of the motor?

theduke300
07-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Hey and welcome to the forums. This is one of the easiest forums ive ever used so just play around with it a little and if you need anyhelp at all just ask and id be happy to help. As for your quadracer problem.. woah haha. First of all, theres is no such thing as a muffler bearing on any atv ive ever seen or heard of haha. And if there was, it probably woudnt cause the engine to sieze up. You probably misunderstood your friend or your friend misunderstood the mechanic. He proly meant a bearing sinside the engine, such as rod bearing, crank bearings etc. This is actually a very simple motor to workon and understand. Do some research on 2 stroke engines and how they work. Then youll understand exactly whats goin on when that ol zuki is up and runnin. Talk with a good atv mechanic also, and maybe let him see that siezed engine. He could probably point you in the right direction, maybe even just let him repair the engine hisself. Need any help just give me a holler. Good luck!

crlt250r
08-01-2012, 07:37 AM
It's really going to depend on what year the other LT is. Now, the one you just got is an 88, which is a pretty good starting point. Ideally, you want to be working with 87+. 87 was the first year for the cylinder reed motor, plus it has the powervalve. 87 cylinder is a one year only design, it had a much larger intake and reed cage, but the cylinder will bolt onto all bottom end LT's from 87-92. 85-86 was a bit of a turd compared to the 87+. The front suspension had much smaller front shocks, and different front drop tube for the front motor mounts.

The motor most likely locked up from a crank bearing spitting out a needle. Happened twice with mine. Depending on what year the other motor is, do a top end, with a Suzuki piston, RM wrist pin bearing, and only use the billet thrust washers. Take it to a good machine shop, and have them correct the squish angle on the head.

Do a little research, and do the bump steer mod on the front end as well. For a reliable LT, it doesn't take much money, and they can be made into good runners.

Check into quadracerHQ.com great bunch of guys that can help you out with any questions you have.