PDA

View Full Version : I hate scammers

CJM
07-31-2012, 07:50 AM
found a sweet 450r for sale last night on craigslist, emailed the person and this is the response i get back.. Are people really stupid enough to think this crap works? I mean i knew the price was a bit too good to be true, but I figured the motor was shot or something..

Thanks for being interested in buying my 2004 Honda TRX 450R atv.
First of all i want to tell you that I'm currently out of country, so pick up isn't an option. I'm in Spain, I just arrived here 3 days ago but before I leaved the US I found a buyer and I had everything arranged. I agreed with the buyer to make the deal through Google Checkout and I paid for the shipping and everything, but yesterday the buyer asked me to wait another 4 weeks because he suddenly had other priorities and he is out of money for the moment. I can't wait this long as I arrive here 3 days ago, and I also need the money because I'm in the moving process, I'm changing my work place and stuff like this.
The atv runs and looks excellent and was well cared for. It is in excellent condition, exactly as described ! If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me. For this transaction I want to use Google Checkout because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me.
The atv is now located at a Google's shipping center and from there they will be shipped to my buyer's address.
You will make the payment to Google Checkout and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the atv. ONLY AFTER you will receive the atv and you will inspect it(you have 5 days for inspection) Google Checkout will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the atv at your address. Meanwhile Google Checkout will hold the money into their deposit. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the atv before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the atv before buying it.
The atv was priced to sell quickly and the final price that I'm asking for it is $1950 including shipping and handling costs.
If you are really interested in purchasing the atv please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. Google Checkout will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.
If you need other info or photos regarding the atv or instructions regarding the transaction thru Google Checkout please let me know!

Warmest regards,
Patricia Wood

chronicsmoke
07-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Anyone who ends their e-mail in "warmest regards" can't possibly be a scammer could it? :p

I wonder how many have fallen for that.. there are so many its ridiculous..

CJM
07-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Anyone who ends their e-mail in "warmest regards" can't possibly be a scammer could it? :p

I wonder how many have fallen for that.. there are so many its ridiculous..

As soon as I see the email almost reads like a form letter I trash it.

I mean really, are people really stupid enough to fall for it? A normal persons reply woulda been something like "yea still for sale, l'll be around after 5 if you wanna come see it". Not some huge form letter lol.

I once was interested in a toyota tacoma on CL, the person emailed me the vin and I carfaxed it (back when you could pay for unlimited) and it doesnt even come back to a toyota lol.

blacknblue#2
07-31-2012, 09:04 AM
I was ALMOST a victim of a scammer back before it got real bad. It was 2003 and i was selling a 2002 Banshee for funds torward the new 450's that were coming out. I put the banshee on cycletrader for 4k. It was no time before i got an email saying the guy was in the service and was out of the country. Said he wanted the quad and was willing to pay for shipping to a business in his hometown. He said i will send you 6k to cover the quad and shipping and whatever money is left to please place it in an envelope In the crate that the quad was in and send it back with it. I was young and stupid and dead set on owning a new 450 so i agreed. he sent me the check and to the bank i went. It was a legit cashiers check but luckily my bank president said something didnt sound right. He said "let us hold the check for 2 weeks before you ship to see if it clears" Sure enough the bank that it was from rejected it. I got emails from that address for 2 years saying "THIEF" lol. Lesson learned for me. Luckily it worked out good.

fastrnrik
07-31-2012, 09:19 AM
Google has a "shipping center"? LOL

I see those scams all the time. Makes you wonder how many people fall for that crap.

pmg8134
07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
warmest regards..... Pat Wood!

blacknblue#2
07-31-2012, 11:58 AM
It wasnt this very same sweet deal was it???

http://evansville.craigslist.org/rvs/3153675360.html

TheLane
07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I got the SAME EMAIL from this lady! it was a fully built race quad for 2k. And her name was the exact same.

TheLane
07-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
It wasnt this very same sweet deal was it???

http://evansville.craigslist.org/rvs/3153675360.html

And yes it was that exact same one.

CJM
07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
yup! SAME ONE!

http://cnj.craigslist.org/rvs/3172462485.html

I figured it was too good to be true-but you never know. I wouldnt have cared if the engine was toast for that price either.

Ruby Soho
07-31-2012, 02:28 PM
ive gotten plenty of those about my stuff for sale. i dont even have to read anything.. when you see its a paragraph you know its bull ****.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-31-2012, 04:54 PM
IDK if CL changed the format to prevent it or not but they (scammers) used to have a button on the Ad to click for e mail, that was give away #2 , #1 was the 19' seadoo with twins for $5500.

I still get e mails @ work form that a-whole who claims to be a pastor in Africa that wants to ship granite (and everything else under the sun) to his orphanage.

I believe that everyone gets what they have coming to them, might not be true but it helps to ease my mind of such scourge.

Drfat400ex
07-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Sure must feel cool to be one of those dinks wasting people's time and trying to get all thier money. I never used to get any junkmail and now I must get 10 things a day! It's rediculous how unconvincing they are, in all the subjects there's always an underscore instead of a space or an @ in there somewhere... Who's going to open an email that says "Win_10000_NOW@" really. Man would I be jacked if I fell for one of these.

CJM
07-31-2012, 05:36 PM
Ive gotten the nigerian email scams before. Dead tip off is A) why would anyone offer you money over the internet and B) they are written in way to proper english-like they learned english from a book.

This, this is what happens when you get someone who doesnt like scammers..
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Also this is a whole group of people dedicated to screwing over scammers http://www.419eater.com/

blaster99
08-01-2012, 05:45 AM
I had gotten an email from Patricia Wood a few years ago too, its funny that they use the same name over and over.

Drfat400ex
08-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Ive gotten the nigerian email scams before. Dead tip off is A) why would anyone offer you money over the internet and B) they are written in way to proper english-like they learned english from a book.

This, this is what happens when you get someone who doesnt like scammers..
http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Also this is a whole group of people dedicated to screwing over scammers http://www.419eater.com/ That's greeeeeat hahahaha

CJM
08-01-2012, 05:57 PM
^ great isnt it haha.

Drfat400ex
08-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by CJM
^ great isnt it haha. I think I actually LMFAO'd if you know what I mean haha

zyoung04
08-02-2012, 06:42 AM
A buddy of mine just about lost 15,000 over a scam like this it was on a pretty new chevy 1500 fully loaded win everything low miles and he got pretty much the same run around she was kn Spain and got a divorce and just wanted enough to pay he truck off and thisI hoopla it sounded fishy to begin with to me but he's one these hard headed dudes that dont listen he got a reply back within about an hour then all I could was "told ya so" lol

CJM
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
^ That sucks.. cant say you didnt tell him tho.

zyoung04
08-03-2012, 03:33 AM
But u know the sad thing is that's how some people make money by scamming others I for one dont have the heart to hardly take a dollar from someone let alone thousands of dollars and u know they gotta feel good about it....I wish they were like wylie coyote and be walking around somewhere and a random piano would fall out the sky and land on them

motofreak2772
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Just lead the guy on. I wasted a scammer's whole night one time. They are so desperate that they don't even realize when you've caught on to them and are just playing around.