PDA

View Full Version : I'm screwed.

Rohr397
07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Last Tuesday I went for a trail ride and when I got back I had to throw my quad in the carport and leave. In a hurry I took my key out because I was uncomfortable leaving my quad in the open with the key in it. Thanks to my terrible memory I have no idea where I put my key, I've been ripping my house apart all day looking for it. I have no idea where it is and I'm supposed to go to the dunes in two days. :mad: I'm worried I'm not going to find it by then, what are my options?

I don't need any hindsight, I don't think good when I'm in a hurry and I have the memory of an 80 year old with Alzheimers, I even think I've lost my phone while I'm talking on the phone. I just want to make sure I can ride in two days cause this is my only shot to go to the dunes until next year.

2003TrX400eX
07-31-2012, 01:48 AM
Search the car!

hondaREX
07-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Better start trying to hot wire it. Not sure if its possible. Sure someone on here can get it going for you. Get ahold of someone that is going to the dunes or you will be going by on your way to the dunes and borrow theres for the trip. Or have one shipped overnight from a member or business to someplace near the dunes. Either way, bring the quad. If you dont get a key, make sure the cooler is full!!! Id lend you mine but im nowhere near you. Sure wish i could join you though!!! Dunes have been a dream of mine for 10 years now. Id have my ATC250R together in a week if i knew i was going to the dunes!!! Which dunes you going to?

ish416
07-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Hot wiring a EX is pretty simple. We had to do this to a friends after he had the same issue. He lost his key in a parking lot in Michigan on the way back to Indiana. We hot wired it and it worked for several years. We ended up finding his key in his driveway in a pile of snow after we plowed his driveway. No idea how that happened. Just one of those things.

To hotwire it, just get a toggle switch and cut the key harness. Hook up the switch and it should work. It took us about 30 minutes total. We ended up putting the toggle switch under the hood, zip tied to the frame rail.

CJM
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Hotwire it, pay a locksmith a few bucks they can cut a key. Take the ignition to the dealer they can cut it too.

on the rocks
07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
hot wiring is easy, in the learning process you will blow some fuses lol. a new key and ignition switch from honda isn't too expensive.

Stickman400
07-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Yea, with the time frame you have I'd either hot wire it or take it to a local dealer and have them cut a key for it.

Pittsburgh400ex
07-31-2012, 08:30 AM
If you know your key code can take it to a dealer. Would be in the back of your book that comes with the quad...if you remember where that is.

Drfat400ex
07-31-2012, 10:34 AM
If all else fails, honda only has 7 different keys. But there's only four wires it wouldn't be hard to hotwire.

Rohr397
07-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah I can pop the ignition off and take it to the dealer, I'll call around and see who can cut me a key the fastest. I can't bring myself to hotwire it though I'm sure that'd work the best, I just have a feeling I'd make the situation worse. s

TacicalRedneck
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
i really don't like the idea of "how to hotwire a quad" on the internet ;) :D

better start searching! :) I know how you feel, i lost the key to a 2012 rzr the... 2nd ,i think, day.... Not even mine either! Finally i found it in the grass in front of my garage! shew!

Like the other fellas said, take it to a locksmith or dealer

:p

Drfat400ex
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Check your dirty laundry too I always loose my keys in my pants

Rohr397
07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Man I have looked everywhere haha the entire house has been ripped to pieces looking for this key. After 4 and a half hours of searching and only so much time to get this thing done I gotta either find it this morning or get a new one ASAP.

bergoff
07-31-2012, 01:03 PM
You will have the new key cut and just get done installing the switch and you will find it. At least that's how it goes for me.

dxcody
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Look out in the garage, in the top of the tool box, or on the drill press.

Found my keys there many of times.

we ended up taking my foreman ignition to a lock smith and had 3 keys cut.

Just 2 as spares. .

Look in truck consoles, glove compartments,... etc.

Like i said, mine was usually 9/10 in the top of the tool box, just because it was right by the door and if your anything like me, you prolly put it somewhere, where you wouldnt lose it! lol!

KKiowaTJ
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Are you sure you took it out of the quad? Did you hide it on the quad, Under bar pad, Seat etc?

Check the seats in the vehicle you rode in, Visor and dash cluster. I loose things looking me right in the face. Did you happen to open a door close to the quad at your house or garage? Also check you car/truck key ring, Thats where i found mine after hours of throwing tools and parts and calling it everything but a honda.

The only bad thing about hot wire is what if they stop you at the dunes and you have a no key and some twisted wires. If you go that route make sure you have proof you own it and have a # they can call to check the vin #.
I would wire in a toggle switch, Cheap and does the same thing except you can hide it and makes it hard for anyone but you to start it.

That or pop the ignition cylinder out real quick and take it to a lock smith or the whole quad if you have that option. Good luck either way

Rohr397
07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Spent the entire day searching, absolutely nothing. Called the dealership, they'll sell me a new ignition for $300 with proof of ownership (registration and title). Can't get a key cut though, with the crime rate around here it's just not gonna happen.

Drfat400ex
07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Spent the entire day searching, absolutely nothing. Called the dealership, they'll sell me a new ignition for $300 with proof of ownership (registration and title). Can't get a key cut though, with the crime rate around here it's just not gonna happen. Better get snippin then, I'd take the ignition and zip tie it to the frame so it doesn't look so bad if you happen to get stopped with no key :P

mainah
07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
same thing happened to me but $20 and 3 days later i had a brand new ignition and two keys still in the factory honda bag right of ebay...

CJM
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Just call a locksmith. They will cut you it no problem.

jgar
07-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Ebay 20-30 bucks.

A lock smith will cut you a new key. Just bring the quad so he can see the vin# and proof of ownership.

dc01
07-31-2012, 07:07 PM
I did the same thing when I did a winter rebuild. Called the local dealer in Louisville, KY and gave them the VIN off the frame, 30 bucks later TWO brand new keys with a new switch. I thought it was kind of scary that they would do it so easy but I was riding later that day.

Rohr397
07-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna try to find the nearest locksmith (probably an hour or two away) and get myself keys made that way.

As far as hotwiring, they don't give a crap as long as you're licensed and tabbed, cause we have to renew every year and display them in plain sight and they'll run your VIN and license to make sure it's in your name. Although it does look funny and it's certainly not ideal since peoples stuff gets jacked all the time anyways.

UPDATE: As of writing this there are no locksmiths in the area, going to have to look to other parts of the state for one or suck it up and buy the ignition they have in stock at my dealership so I can at least do a ride session this weekend.

jgar
07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
You must love to ride if you are going to spend 300 for a new ignition. I would park it for a the weekend and get a ignition off of ebay and then put the rest of the 300 to some mods.

KKiowaTJ
07-31-2012, 09:10 PM
For 300 id rather use a screw driver or metal shim and break it and order a eBay one. That way you dont piss away the extra 270 for nothing but a few hours if that of riding. To each their own

Stickman400
08-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Where are you guys getting $300 from? He needs a new key and ignition SWITCH, not the entire ingition as in magneto and everything.

dxcody
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Where are you guys getting $300 from? He needs a new key and ignition SWITCH, not the entire ingition as in magneto and everything.

He said the shop told him $300

BUT HE FOUND IT! lol thats what he informed me on facebook a little bit ago.

Lol

A ghost hid it from him :devil:

Stickman400
08-01-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh, didn't read the other page. That's insane that they want $300 for a key ignition. Good to hear he found it though.

Rohr397
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
Longest story ever, definitely not in a very obvious place and it took a lot of work to find it. Just glad I have it

hondaREX
08-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Def want to hear the story when you get time. Always funny and informational where one mine put/leave keys.

CJM
08-01-2012, 05:53 PM
And people wonder why I have an extra set of keys for everything.

I got 2 ignitions (one came with some plastics I bought) and 2 sets of keys. I got 2 sets of keys for my truck, 2 for my cabin, etc.

Hell I got 3 sets of keys for some stuff. 1 at home, 1 in my truck and 1 stashed elsewhere.

You just never know.

btw, where do you live that theres no locksmiths nearby? Even at my cabin in east bumbleF_ _ _ theres a locksmith about 15 miles from us.

HondaRacing83
08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
my one key is in my field somewhere, lol. i always keep my key in my ignition id lose it if i put it anywhere else. fortunatley, i keep mine in my garage which is actually always unlocked but i live in a good area in a good town and everyone knowns im a crazed gearhead redneck and if **** went down they wouldnt leave alive..

toomanytoys
08-23-2012, 08:39 AM
People still have key switches on their quads? I had my 2012 400EX 2 days and I took the dash board off, did away with the neutral switch, and wired a nice toggle switch on the plastic for my key.

I just end up losing them anyway.

Stickman400
08-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by toomanytoys
People still have key switches on their quads? I had my 2012 400EX 2 days and I took the dash board off, did away with the neutral switch, and wired a nice toggle switch on the plastic for my key.

I just end up losing them anyway. That's one less thing the thieves have to worry about when they get your quad back to their house. I'd rather have the extra piece of mind.

cheater13
08-23-2012, 10:32 AM
When i lost my key, i just dug it out so i can turn it with a knife or rock. :p

toomanytoys
08-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
That's one less thing the thieves have to worry about when they get your quad back to their house. I'd rather have the extra piece of mind.

If they are going to steal your quad the least of their worries is a key. A few minutes with a set of wire strippers and they will have the bike started.

We 'stole' a friends RZR by using the key switch out of a Ranger. It took all of 2 minutes to swap the ignitition.