PDA

View Full Version : Secrets out. My hybrid!!!!

blacknblue#2
07-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Well guys I was gonna try to keep it hush on this site until i got it done but i cant wait any longer lol. Im going hybrid. CRF in a TRX... 05 chassis, 06+rear and. Lonestar front end with long travel elka, GTT rear setup...Here is our progress so far. Tell me what ya think

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/hybeast.jpg

01boneless
07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
looking great so far!!!

jigg14
07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Nice stand :D

Keep us updated!

blacknblue#2
07-30-2012, 10:49 AM
We had to drain the stand to set the frame on it "Sorry if we leave some stuff loose" haha :devil: . Im chasing after a close replica of my favorite quad i ever built. It wont be exact but iy will be close. This quad got attention everywhere. Many old guys said "That Suzuki sounds pretty stout" Haha

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/011-10.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/008-12.jpg

zyoung04
07-31-2012, 06:26 AM
I wish this thing was together the other day to help blow through some ruts lol

blacknblue#2
08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Just a little update. Quad should be down on its feet today...IM PUMPED. I have to confess though me and my wife just had our first child 9 days ago. So 97.9% of this build has been done by my buddies. I guess they got tired of my riding the scooter

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/hyhy.jpg

zyoung04
08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
it made me tired watching u pick thing up off the ground

blacknblue#2
08-21-2012, 07:36 AM
Well its done....It took exactly 1 Month from the time the first bolt was broke loose on the bike to the time the last bolt was tightened up on the quad. I havent even got any still shots yet. I need to clean it up and get some. I Been riding it too much lol. This thing is waht i alwasy wanted. I loved the handling of all my 450R's but never was satisfied with the stock power and always made them too tempermental with plenty of motor work...This thing has good power from a bone stock motor. Here is the only picture i have and its the best kinda picture..an ACTION SHOT

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/hyy.jpg

chronicsmoke
08-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing some still pictures!

That's the best quad stand ever BTW.

patrickj75
08-22-2012, 06:27 AM
What did you do for the exhaust? I'm putting an 06 CRF in my LTR over the winter.

blacknblue#2
08-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by patrickj75
What did you do for the exhaust? I'm putting an 06 CRF in my LTR over the winter.

The exhaust was one worry i had when we first started. I didnt wanna sink 500-1000 bucks in some curtom made exhaust. I got real lucky. An 05 Yoshimura trx450r exhaust bolted right up like it was made to....bolted right to the head and all the exhaust mounts lines up perfect

blacknblue#2
08-27-2012, 09:00 AM
here are some still shots guys....Ill agree with anyone who says its a little on the ugly side hahaha. This winter i plan to switch to maier plastic with a quadtech hood. Plus once my graphics get done will help it out 150%. right now its a little too much yellow

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/bug.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/qt.jpg

patrickj75
09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm now thinking of parting out my LTR and putting my CRF in a TRX frame instead. What frame mods did you have to do? What are those top motor mounts? Looke like your front motor mounts are custom?

blacknblue#2
09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
We started at the swingarm mount. We had the trim the spacers back there just a hair, not much. We got it bolted up there where we thought it needed to be then we checked out chain alignment. We ended up having to flip our front scrocket around backwards which was fine with me. Its not givin me any trouble. We then moved forward to the bottom mount on the frame. It was off about an inch. Not a big deal there. We cut it off the frame, Moved it forwards and rewelded it in place and put a bolt through it. Now with 2 mounts lined up we moved on forward to the lower front mount. This is where teh carboard motor mounts started. We were doing this in the floor of a machine shop so that helped some lol. We made mounts out of cardboard, Trimmed them up and ran bolts thought them to see how they were gonna fit. Once we got them where we wanted them we traced them out and burnt some steel ones out on the wire EDM. Moving on up we had a couple choices on the top mount. Make the frame accept the stock CRF headstay mounts or fabricate new headstay mounts to the stock frame location. We all know this is a weak point in a honda frame and i already had plans to fabbing out a gusset for this location. So instead of having to fabricate 2 gussets and 2 headstay mounts we decided we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make one big gusset and drill it to accept the stock CRF headstay mounts....Ive rode this quad almost every weekend and love it. The power is awesome and this motor is bone stock. Only thing makes me mad is noone realises its a hybrid. I have to tell everyone haha

patrickj75
09-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
We started at the swingarm mount. We had the trim the spacers back there just a hair, not much. We got it bolted up there where we thought it needed to be then we checked out chain alignment. We ended up having to flip our front scrocket around backwards which was fine with me. Its not givin me any trouble. We then moved forward to the bottom mount on the frame. It was off about an inch. Not a big deal there. We cut it off the frame, Moved it forwards and rewelded it in place and put a bolt through it. Now with 2 mounts lined up we moved on forward to the lower front mount. This is where teh carboard motor mounts started. We were doing this in the floor of a machine shop so that helped some lol. We made mounts out of cardboard, Trimmed them up and ran bolts thought them to see how they were gonna fit. Once we got them where we wanted them we traced them out and burnt some steel ones out on the wire EDM. Moving on up we had a couple choices on the top mount. Make the frame accept the stock CRF headstay mounts or fabricate new headstay mounts to the stock frame location. We all know this is a weak point in a honda frame and i already had plans to fabbing out a gusset for this location. So instead of having to fabricate 2 gussets and 2 headstay mounts we decided we could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and make one big gusset and drill it to accept the stock CRF headstay mounts....Ive rode this quad almost every weekend and love it. The power is awesome and this motor is bone stock. Only thing makes me mad is noone realises its a hybrid. I have to tell everyone haha

OK. That doesn't sound too bad. I assume you had to make a kicker extension?

blacknblue#2
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Yeah i had to use a little spacer is all. About a half inch spaced and it cleared. I had to shave the rear fender and since the pictures i have put a set of rath monster pegs on it and am not able to run the heal guard on that side. I think my kicker is gonna end up getting modified this winter. Im either gonna try to fit a shorter maybe 2 stroke kicker on it or something. The stock CRF kicker is almost too long on the quad. the guy that owns the machine shop that we done the fabbing in swears he can make it kick forward. If he shows me what he is doing before he does it that may be an option also

patrickj75
09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Yeah i had to use a little spacer is all. About a half inch spaced and it cleared. I had to shave the rear fender and since the pictures i have put a set of rath monster pegs on it and am not able to run the heal guard on that side. I think my kicker is gonna end up getting modified this winter. Im either gonna try to fit a shorter maybe 2 stroke kicker on it or something. The stock CRF kicker is almost too long on the quad. the guy that owns the machine shop that we done the fabbing in swears he can make it kick forward. If he shows me what he is doing before he does it that may be an option also

Check out a 99-01 YZ250 kicker. They're shorter than the CRF. How much would you charge to make those front and upper motor mounts?

blacknblue#2
09-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Ill call the guy at the shop in a little bit and see what he would charge me to burn some more mounts out. Ill PM ya when i talk to him and let ya know how much he says. It shouldnt be bad, We saved all the programs when we done it because we had several local guys ask about maybe doing it for them in the future......If anyone else reads this and is interested in possibly doing it let me know. While the machine is set up it would be easy to burn out 4 or 5 sets while all the tooling is setup for it.

simon7
10-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Im thinking of doing an 05 build using a CRF engine. I would also like a price if you could on the engine mounts. What year engine can I use I'm looking at a 03, will that work?

blacknblue#2
10-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Ive been waiting on my machinist to give me an answer still for patrick lol. Ill get on him tonight and tell him we have some more interest popping up...Only thing he said was "I have to make enough to run my machines but then again i dont wanna scare any business off" He also wants to get involved in the quad world more. He owns a full CNC machine shop and rides an MX kFX450. I told him his options of being involved in the sport with a full machine shop is endless, So ill get ion him and try to get you guys some hard numbers.... As for motor years without seeing them in front of me iu cant say....I know the 03 motor will work i just dont know if it will have the exact same mounting points as the newer motor thats something we could prolly find out pretty easy tho with all the hybrid guys on here....Im fresh to the hybrid world but definitely glad i went this route..

simon7
10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
THANKS!!

patrickj75
10-05-2012, 06:26 AM
I decided to just use my LTR frame so I don't need a set of motor mounts.

SHIFTx450
10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Ive been waiting on my machinist to give me an answer still for patrick lol. Ill get on him tonight and tell him we have some more interest popping up...Only thing he said was "I have to make enough to run my machines but then again i dont wanna scare any business off" He also wants to get involved in the quad world more. He owns a full CNC machine shop and rides an MX kFX450. I told him his options of being involved in the sport with a full machine shop is endless, So ill get ion him and try to get you guys some hard numbers.... As for motor years without seeing them in front of me iu cant say....I know the 03 motor will work i just dont know if it will have the exact same mounting points as the newer motor thats something we could prolly find out pretty easy tho with all the hybrid guys on here....Im fresh to the hybrid world but definitely glad i went this route..

Definite interest in these mounts. Let me/us know!

polinipower
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
could you show some pictures of the intake tract around the frame?

atvmxer79
12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
How hard was the intake to get lined up? And how ab the CID box and coil? Did it fit in place of the 450r ones or did I make new tabs?