PDA

View Full Version : 400ex problem, could use some help

Ichoptop
07-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I bought a 400 ex for the girlfriend a years ago. We have had no problems with it since we got it. I went to start it today to move it out of the garage so I could work on my 450R and she wont fire. Lights work, starter cranks the motor strong, can smell the fuel but it wouldnt even try to fire. Battery is at 12.8 but no spark. I pulled the wire and grounded the plug but no spark. pulled one bolt out of the coil so I could rotate it and put the volt meter on it and have no power. It has to be CDI or stator but I dont have the manual to figure out what to test. Anyone have any ideas?

JOHNDOE83
07-26-2012, 09:45 PM
worst case scenario change the cdi and coil at the same time, ebay it try to find a upgraded set or even a matched set for cheap.

Ichoptop
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I dont want to throw parts at it hoping it is the fix. Does someone have the manual that shows how to test the coil and CDI. I have one for my TRX but the 400ex may putting out different reading when good or bad.

powerbomb400
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
We have a 250ex do the same thing. Checked the CDI,coil. Thought it was the stator. Put a pulse generator on it still no spark. Ended up being one of the wires going to the coil from the wiring harness. Wiring harness for it new was 79.00. Fixed the problem. Got plenty of spark now with all the new components.:p

JOHNDOE83
07-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Well, in my experience testing it with volt meters doesnt work.

You'll have to either swap parts to test or buy new.

Really thats your only options.

Do a search at the bottom of the 400ex page, there is dozens of free online manuals if you look.

Ichoptop
07-27-2012, 03:47 PM
thanks, I will check it out. I went through 7 pages of search listings about the problem but never looked for a manual. dumb on my part. The wiring harness hasnt been hacked at all but with its age you never can tell. i'll just start at the battery and work my way forward....after I let the battery charge (I forgot to turn the key off yesterday). My trx is a kicker so the key thing is new to me.