PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

HondaRacing83
07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Ok so I realllyyy want my rims black. Can't powdercoat them or grt new ones because I have slime in my tires. What would be the best most durable way to have my stockers black?
2nd, Air filter cleaning. I got a foam uni and am sick of using gas to clean my filter. Is there a much cheaper way?

junior636
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
You could use por15 or a rustoleum paint that you brush on. If you use it properly it will level out and you will not see the brush strokes.

They sell foam filter cleaner in a spray can,it works well.

Stickman400
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
You can rattle can the rims black, but even with the proper prep work it won't stick on them very long. The only way to ge them to look good and stay that way is PC. And I'm pretty sure you can wash any foam filter with dish soap in the sink. Or buy their cleaning kit, but I'm not sure how much they want for it.

400exwhipper
07-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I just clean my uni filter in soap and water and then dry and re oil it

HondaRacing83
07-26-2012, 12:46 PM
How do you think black bedliner would hold up?

Drfat400ex
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
How do you think black bedliner would hold up? I tried that on some things I made for pitbikes, didn't really work for me, but you could give it a try I guess haha

Zakradu398
07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
I was thinking plastidip but It would probably peel off quickly. I already beat up my bajas and they're PCed.

For the air filter. I usually use this stuff called LA's totally awesome. Works pretty good and if I don't have that handy some Dawn works wonders.

CJM
07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Always used gas for the filter, cleans it better than anything. You only need like 1/4 of a cup of it.

As for black wheels, even powdercoated ones get beat up. Id just leave it be.

HondaRacing83
07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I really like black rims though. Maybe ill rattlrcan them and prime them well. But thanks guys, i always filled a tub with gas and drenched my filter and rubbed till it was clean.

JOHNDOE83
07-26-2012, 03:49 PM
My vote goes for spray paint.

Ive spray painted rims before and its easy to remove with no issues and you could always touch it up if you have to.

Acetone and a rag will take all the paint off safely if you wanted the stock look back.

Acetone and a rag will also wipe clean all the overspray onto the tires and make your oaint job easy and look good.

For cleaning foam filters, I use the blue dial dish soap or degreaser, let it dry and use silicone spray for oiling it up.

2001400exrida
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Dish soap sucks and takes alot of work and still leaves oil on the filter. I do what CJM said.....Gasoline takes everything off the filter and makes it brand new looking. I've heard claims that it breaks down the glues that hold the filter together, but have never seen this. Some filter manufacturers recommend using Kerosene.

Plastidip sucks for rims, mine didn't hold up at all, and i did all the prep work and used 2 coats on the rims. I would just get black spray paint and touch them up periodically as mentioned before.

Pittsburgh400ex
07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Kerosene works good. I've never used it to clean a k&n but friends have and it gets most of it out. I have used kerosene and diesel both to clean and re-use oil filters. Results would be similar.

Before i get flamed for those last 2 sentences...should explain. Ever swamp your quad? If so you know it can take anywhere from 1-10 oil changes to get the water out and have no milky color. Did this a lot on my pld '03 Rincon when i was in my liftkit and highlifter outlaw tire "phase" lol. clean the same filter till you get it out then slap a new one in. I know that's not what your asking but if you swamp it...this will save you 50 bucks in filters.

I've heard of using oven cleaner/degreaser on air filters also. Never tried it, no reason to, i just use the k&n degreaser. But if you want it cheap the K&N brand ceetainly isn't what you want.

My friend uses a spray coating..if i remember the name of it i'll post it...but it's an elasticsized sealer. Bonds to nerly anything, block walls, foundations, rust, used in some truck beds and this stuff it tough. a 2" square literally stretches to 10 inches and you can not tear it by hand. It's spray on and stays where you put it (no running, etc) Can try searching for that if i can't remember the name of it.

Pittsburgh400ex
07-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Polyurrea i think it's called.