PDA

View Full Version : Just not fair.

dxcody
07-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Ok so my nieghbor (the ones i like) have a 4 year old son.
He had cancer on the left side of his head when he was born. They had it all removed and everything but he wrecked his bike a few weeks ago and hit his head off the pavement. (yes, he was wearing a helmet..)

Well he was at Riley Childrens Hospital for almost 2 weeks. When he wrecked, he hit the left side of his head off the pavement and i guess from the cancer when he was born, the left side of his head by his ear is very weak. And he started leaking spinal fluid out of his ear, and they had to do surgery and completely rebuild that ear.

He had a 50cc suzuki quad, and he rode almost everyday. And now he isnt allowed to ride for a year, if ever.

He can never ride a bike again, he will never be able to hear out of his left ear, and he will not ever have his balance back again.

When they were leaving the hospital he asked his Doctor, "Can i ride my fourwheeler?" No. "What about the Golf cart?" No. "What about my bike?" No... His dad said his lips started shaking like he was going to cry because he got so mad, and the doctor said, check back in with me in a year, and we will tell youu if you can ride your fourwheeler again or not.

If you ask him he says, IM FINE!

Hes a cool little dude,... its not even fair that his happened..
And i feel really bad because we got him a card and i wrote, "Hope you get riding soon again little man, i miss having a riding partner!"

That was before i found out all of this.. I thought he was just a normal little kid.. It was a freak accident..

Its just not fair man.. The kid is 4 years old.

cloudpump
07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Makes you think when you or someone you know cries about something being unfair. I know, I see it everyday with my work. Work in a group home with mentally disabled people. They all have the mentality of teens. It can be disheartening, just need to look for the positive. Make sure to treat him normal, and make him laugh. That will definatly help him recover.

quadrcr161
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
As a long time racer/father of a 2yr old who wants to ride (battery powered) everyday, i would hate to have to tell him he couldnt do the things he enjoys so much. i hope the lil one grows out of it and he can enjoy those things again.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Yea it's pretty eye opening when you first realize your own mortality. I honestly thought this thread was going to end tragically but it really puts thing into perspective doesn't it?

I hope the little guy is able to get back out there soon.

finsteratv
07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Hopefully the little man will be back to doing his thing soon. Maybe it'll set a fire in him as he gets older to progress in riding because atleast i havnt seen many 4 year olds who sound as into riding as him. Hopefully all turns out in his favor.

KKiowaTJ
07-27-2012, 03:30 PM
My 2yr old loves to watch and ride along on slow laps, Hill climbs etc. Hes fearless more than i was and im pretty sure ill spend the same if not more time in the ER and doc offices than my father.

If it was my son id let him ride in a second. If it were up to doctors any type of movement or activity is dangerous and you should take caution.

But its not my son in that position so he will most likely miss out on fun riding. But that dont mean hes out, Teach him how to build them and work on them. If your going to pull maintence on it have him help you. If you are going to turn a few laps, Ask him if he wouldent mind watching incase you flop it.

Im pretty sure he would love to be around it and maybe by the time he learns a few things a year or so is gone by and he can ride again. He will be more awhere of what can happen and will know to wear that extra gear for his safety.
Just tell him its not over and the glass is still half full. He has many years ahead of him and to have to lay low to heal up is nothing new in motorsports. I hope the best for him, Good luck

dxcody
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice and sympathy guys.

Its just like Oldguy said... Its just eye opening. Its sucks that this kid has to go through this.

I wish there was something i could do, but ya know, it is what it is.

his dad actually used to race GNCC back in the day, and is an awesome guy.

Heck if i had to i would run beside the kid on his fourwheeler. Anything is better than nothing.