PDA

View Full Version : Will this setup work?

J51S
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I kinda got into a bind. I jumped on buying this 88 length no link setup for my 250R, but the more I search peoples say its only good for TT and also you can't run a no- link unless you get an aftermarket frame.

I will be racing MX so whats you opinions?

rektec250r
07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
You should be fine as long as the shock is centered in the swing ARM. Length should be fine I'm running a -1 swingarm on my Walsh.

J51S
07-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I Just read you cant run a no link swinger unless you have a no link frame (aftermarket). Is this true?

And is this going to be a good setup for mx?

thanks

4wheelmx
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
P.M. sent

Deuce426
07-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Lets see here...

A no link setup can be run on a stock frame, it just requires the proper shock length to work as intended (the shock will be shorter than stock).

Now some swingarms will not work with a stock link frame and some will. I believe the only ones that will work with a stock frame are the roll design and lonestar dc-4 swingarms which put the shock mount at the bottom or below the swingarm. The swingarm you show I am not sure because I can't see how high it mounts.

Also the shock length. I have an Arens chassis that the upper rear shock mount is at or around stock height, but it is a no link chassis (weird setup I know). My rear shock is around 15.5" eye to eye. If yours is at 16" or more it probably wont work right because the shock angle may be off or the shock just too long to work with a stock frame and make the bike sit too high.

Many people have raced MX on a no-link setup, heck the roll lobo chassis is a no link chassis.

The other downfall to running a no link on a stock frame is rider weight. I believe the magic number is 185 for a stock length swingarm because the upper shock mount isnt built to take all the force that a no link puts on it when a rider is above that weight. If the swingarm is longer than 18.5" center to center than the max recommended weight is lower, if it is shorter than the weight can be higher, how much I don't know.

It is all a gamble, possibly worth a shot, if it doesn't work you can sell it. I can tell you I do love how my no link bikes ride, but then again they are properly set up for me.

Motofool250r
07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
that swingarm/shock combo will not work with stock frame.

your choices are modify your stock frame to a no-link setup. buy a No-link frame

or resell it

no-link is great for mx, but you need the complete package

deathman53
07-25-2012, 02:02 AM
also on a no-link you need to move the airbox way back or get a airbox that uses the lt500 boot in conjuction with moving it back.

J51S
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'm going to pass on that setup. I'll see how my 450 swinger and mx link work out on it instead.

Deuce426
07-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Be careful on that 450 swingarm setup... I think the geometry will be off with it

J51S
07-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Deuce426 Be careful on that 450 swingarm setup... I think the geometry will be off with it

Really?, I had read people were having good luck with them as long as you use a 250R shock.

wolvman
08-07-2012, 02:24 AM
you could add the top no link mount to the stock frame right on top and behind the oem mount fairly easy