PDA

View Full Version : carb switch

smiley-400ex
07-24-2012, 12:10 PM
06 450er will not idle right found out that there is a little witch on the carb where the choke cable hooks to does anyone know what it does and if i need to do anything to change it. my local shop said something about the ohums on it ? im lost with this any help please

DnB_racing
07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by smiley-400ex
06 450er will not idle right found out that there is a little witch on the carb where the choke cable hooks to does anyone know what it does and if i need to do anything to change it. my local shop said something about the ohums on it ? im lost with this any help please im not sure which switch your talking about,

there is no choke cable,

but the fcr carb thats stock on the ER, has 2 switches, 1 micro switch and 1 rheostat
the rheostat is for the TPS, (throttle position sensor)
this switch is the one that needs to be setup with an ohm meter,
the tps is just a signal fed back to the cdi from the rheostat varying in resistance depending on the position of the throttle, it doesnt really do much with a stock cdi,
its made to adjust timing with different throttle positions,great for an aftermarket ignition, but next to useless with stock

the stock cdi has very little in the way of timing advance, and Ive ran many 450R's with out the tps hooked up with absolutely no ill effects,the stock cdi only has one timing sequence built in, and shouldn't cause any idling or high speed issues if the TPS is unplugged

the other micro switch is for the carb safety TORS,or as Honda calls it (closed throttle position detect system) this switch is in case your throttle cable is too tight, it will not allow the quad to run unless cable slack is in spec, this switch is usually jumped to eliminate any issues in the middle of the woods or race,

this switch will not cause any idling issues, but will not allow the quad to run at all, if slack is less then 5mm,

i would say your idling issues are more related to a dirty pilot jet,or poor quality fuel,
give your carb a through cleaning followed by compressed air into ALL passages

desratt
07-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Did you change to a twist throttle. The switch that was in the original housing needs to corespond with the switch on the carb. I believe if you unplug both you are fine.

DnB_racing
07-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by desratt
Did you change to a twist throttle. The switch that was in the original housing needs to corespond with the switch on the carb. I believe if you unplug both you are fine. one of the switches needs to be jumped to ground for the quad to start