PDA

View Full Version : Hand Blisters while racing

jpfmotors
07-22-2012, 04:21 PM
simple question, i need ideas to prevent blisters, Ive been racing xc for about 3 years and cant seam to prevent this. it happens worse in very hot wheather, hand sweat is the cause not grips, just need ideas thanks

DnB_racing
07-22-2012, 05:56 PM
work with a hammer during the weeks your hands will be like leather..

but seriously no substitute for good old fashioned hard work, to toughen up the hands and fore arms

xcracer416
07-22-2012, 05:58 PM
i just ordered some risk racing palm protectors from RMatv this morning. i have the same problem you do. i have taped my hands, but i got arm pump from it. ive also went with a glove that fit my palms good and cut the fingers out, got arm pumo from that also. if i wear an xl size glove i get blisters but 0 arm pump.

scrappy3
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
UnderWARE gloves from PCracing solved my son's blister proplems.

jpfmotors
07-22-2012, 07:40 PM
My hands are pretty tough iam a full time machanic i use my hands all day, i dont have a problem with arm pump at all just crazy blisters i might try a different type of under glove things like was mentioned thanks for the help

levi624
07-22-2012, 07:58 PM
I race desert and blisters were a big problem for me especially when the races are 100 plus miles.The biggest thing I have learned is to relax and get rid of the the death grip. You don't need the death grip for most of a race. When I started to relax my grip I started to ride faster and no more problems with blisters. Hope this helps a little.

lowbudget36
07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
A big thing that will help that no one really thinks of is the size of your gloves. When you grab your grips, the inside of your glove should be still skin tight against your callous'. if the glove folds up right there when you grab your grips they're too big. It may uncomfortable to wear a tighter glove but it helps.
You can also make sure the softest part of the grip is against your callous'.
If you have blisters and they have already popped or about to you can try crazy glue over them.once it hardens it helps really well til it wears off.
Keep switching grips find the one that works best. i have the best luck with the ourys and tag metals grips.
ride Ride RIDE also. Everyday every other day your hands on the bars quite often gets them used to it.
never put lotion on your hands anything thats gonna make them soft even soaps will make them back to really soft skin. You want to keep them hard. Hope this helps Good Luck

CJM
07-23-2012, 10:53 AM
I find you need the gloves to fit as lowbudget has explained. I had several pairs of gloves and always wear a sz lg normally. Well they would bunch up right at the top of my palm and cause blisters.

I switched to plane jane mechanix gloves and wear a medium and they are tight but they do fit. No more blisters either.

Also switched to ODI grips, much softer.

quad2xtreme
07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by scrappy3

X2 on this. I do like the ones with the fingers cut off.

ws450r
07-23-2012, 02:24 PM
I always wore the MSR underliner gloves. Also, I know you say grips is not the cause, but I would play around with them. I switched the Spider gel grips, and absolutely loved them.

jpfmotors
07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
odi grips were to big, i get less arm pump with thinner grips. Ive been useing tag metal grips might try the oury grips i here there like holding marshmellows. I am ordering some moose hand liners they are the same material as the underware ones, going to try them. I always tell myself while racing to loosen up on my grip so i think i have that under control. These are all good suggestions so i got some things to try. Question with the liners, they look like they will make your hands warm and sweat mor is this true or is it just the way they look?

bracey
07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by scrappy3

x3 best thing we have used

quad2xtreme
07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Glove liners keep your gloves from sticking to your skin. When you don't have the glove liners, your skin sticks to the glove. At this point something has to give, it ends up being the tissue between your skin and body thus a blister forms.

I type at a computer for a living and can ride 90+ XC races and not get blisters.

jpfmotors
07-24-2012, 05:30 AM
quad2extreme, i understand how the liners work just wondering if they will make my hands hotter and sweat more?

ws450r
07-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
quad2extreme, i understand how the liners work just wondering if they will make my hands hotter and sweat more?

It shouldn't, but I never really paid attention if my hands were getting warm or sweaty. I was more worried about dodging trees. Will it make that much of a difference if they do?

jpfmotors
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Well i think that the more my hands sweat the more ill get blisters, but i could be wrong i dont know i just hate getting blisters, once they open while ur racing they kinda tend to slow me down.

ws450r
07-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
Well i think that the more my hands sweat the more ill get blisters, but i could be wrong i dont know i just hate getting blisters, once they open while ur racing they kinda tend to slow me down.

I think the underliner gloves will help. I'd also check out some different grips and try to ride more loosely.

Like quad2xtreme, I am at a computer most of the day, and once I started wearing the underliner gloves and riding with the spider gel grips, I had no problem. And I raced with one leg, so I was doing way more holding onto the handlebar than most people.