PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler fan combo

jgar
07-22-2012, 01:44 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of making this oil cooler fan combo work. It says the fan pulls 6amps. Is that to much for the ex's electrical system? What do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.com/70298-Hi-Tek-SuperCooler-Oil-Cooler/dp/B000CIGEA0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

CJM
07-22-2012, 02:10 PM
All you need is a spal 4 inch puller fan. Look it up on ebay, it draws like 3 amps at most.

The EX already has an oil cooler.

Also in the link in my signature theres a write up on this fan.

jgar
07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Yea, I have been looking at the 4" pullers. Just thinking about trying something different.

CJM
07-22-2012, 02:44 PM
You could use a larger cooler if you wanted, Im not sure how much its worth all the trouble b/c jetted right these things run fine.

ds268
07-22-2012, 02:49 PM
All I'm going to add is that adding that bigger cooler on mine was a night and day difference when out riding the dunes even without the addition of a fan.

junior636
07-22-2012, 02:56 PM
I have been checking ebay occasionally for months for a 4" spal fan and haven't seen any on there, they are out of stock on there site too.

on the rocks
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
there is where i got my fan from. dirt cheep, cheapest price i found. great shipping.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=30103018

when i ordered my fan i also bought the wiring pig tale offered. turn out that does not fit the little 4 inch fan and they were nice enough to call me an explain that and ask if i still wanted it since it would not work. i was very impressed and i would tell any one to shop through them

CJM
07-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ds268
All I'm going to add is that adding that bigger cooler on mine was a night and day difference when out riding the dunes even without the addition of a fan.

I honestly dont think it can get any hotter there than here, but Ive gone riding when it was at least 95F outside outside more than a few times. Add in humidity being at least 90% and it was probably closer to 110 in the shade. I never had an issue and hardly use my fan.

Ill also add that I ride in a combo of woods, sandpit and dunes as well.

ds268
07-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I honestly dont think it can get any hotter there than here, but Ive gone riding when it was at least 95F outside outside more than a few times. Add in humidity being at least 90% and it was probably closer to 110 in the shade. I never had an issue and hardly use my fan.

Ill also add that I ride in a combo of woods, sandpit and dunes as well.

Well right on!

I've never had over heating issues either. Anytime you can keep critical fluids cooler the better and longer it will last. I'm not going to compare my riding preferences to you but anything over 100* I have zero desire to ride, just sayin.

hondaREX
07-22-2012, 04:26 PM
John, just go with the 4" Spal fan like I have. You saw how much it cooled first hand and it's only a $50 mod. Or go with the CXRacing cooler that is in the stickies, that looks like a sweet setup and I priced it out in the area of $200. That one you gave the link to could be a pain, why not go with one that someone else already worked the bugs out of for you.

headache
07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I put an external cooler on a 350 warrior a while back and used a fan out of a computer. they are only about 3.5" i think but it still helped pull the heat out. they are very low draw on amps and 12v of course. water and mud didn't hurt it either

junior636
07-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Are you guys running a temp sensor or just letting the fan run constant?

jgar
07-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by hondaREX
John, just go with the 4" Spal fan like I have. You saw how much it cooled first hand and it's only a $50 mod. Or go with the CXRacing cooler that is in the stickies, that looks like a sweet setup and I priced it out in the area of $200. That one you gave the link to could be a pain, why not go with one that someone else already worked the bugs out of for you. After seeing how well yours worked I was weighing my options. I was thinking fan, oversized oil tank and scoops. The price is about the same as a larger oil cooler with fan. I like the idea of 1 factory unit. After doing some reading I think the 6amps would require a stator upgrade :ermm: .

on the rocks
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by junior636

i have a temp sensor, fan will kick on at 180. i had a bung welded in the bottom of my oil tank and it threads in there.

CJM
07-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by junior636

I let mine run on and off myself with a switch. Turn it on when putting around and turn it off when moving alot.

hondaREX
07-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Now do you guys think too cool is a bad thing? I run mine almost all the time while riding. I mostly ride trails and ride as fast as i can but theres alot of slower, tight technical stuff too so i dont want to have to remember to turn it on. Ive been wondering if it is better or worse to keep it running. I mean i let the bike warm up then turn it on a few minutes into the ride. And i have a switch relayed into my hi-beams. I run with my lights on all the time so i just did it that way. No extra switches. I run a consistent 200 degrees on a 85 +/- degree day. After a fast run, ive seen it down in the neighborhood of 170-180 on the same day.

CJM
07-23-2012, 08:07 AM
I dont think its possible for it to be too cool just using the fan and or larger/extra cooler.