PDA

View Full Version : Apex 90 help runs **** after mods

boosted22
07-22-2012, 04:29 AM
ok guys need some more help with my sons pro 90, we brought it second hand, and from day one it was all ways **** off the line, would sound **** up the straight like it was hesitating and surge'n, so recently went out and brought and upgraded to the following
Hetrick slipper clutch ( silver spring ? )
Malossi variator kit 4.7 g rollers standard belt as the Malossi stretched or some thing after first race as it was loose as crap so put standard one back on
pcs pipe
standard engine etc
standard carb with alloy airbox ( 125 main jet 45 pilot ) air screw well about 1 1/2 turns out
but just not going right
first race he took off but just bogged down or something up the whole straight just sounded like it flooded hardly got up to speed, got around few corners and it takes off heaps better, would kinda run **** down low then just take off pretty good, then next thing it's back to running rough through hole power range, I adjusted the idle and air screw took him out the back for a few starts and took off awesome still didn't sound full crisp but no hesitation at all, lined up for second race, does the same thing bogged or something down the whole straight then comes good on and off for rest the race, he's about 50kg with his gear on so about 110lbs for us terms, I'm just little unsure where to start jetting or parts I've installed any ideas would be great thanks :) still on the learning curve :)

dewutfan
07-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I would first make sure and recheck every ground wire and make sure you have a ground to the frame..2nd i would check you timing and see if it has moved .. those will mess with you like that..

boosted22
07-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by dewutfan
I would first make sure and recheck every ground wire and make sure you have a ground to the frame..2nd i would check you timing and see if it has moved .. those will mess with you like that..

any particular spot they run a earth to the frame just ive never noticed one will pull all the plastics off and go through all wires etc and pull the cover off to check the timimg thanks :)

dewutfan
07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I put a ground wire from one of my side cover bolts on clutch side to the frame .. but alot of time its one of your existing connections not together tight check everyone of them...

boosted22
07-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Ok so update, had to remove the new exhaust as its destroyed it self around the mount after 4 races got know idea why this would happen, went over all connections everything looks fine, put back on the standard exhaust started the bike on the stand to check the variator was throwing out etc that seem fine throw out and sucked in on the clutch decided to go up the alley with the cover off and straight away just reved and hardly got up to speed the variator didn't look to throw out at all now, came back in the shed and the clutch was hot as **** but the variator wasn't too bad could hold me hand on that fine any suggestions :)
does anyone have a email for hetrick racing or a diagram install for there slipper clutch setup they can email to boosted925@hotmail.com

jake55
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
www.hetrickracing.com is the web site.
hetrickracing@hotmail.com is the e-mail.
phone: 1-814-676-0477

ontargetracing
07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
decent thread that should help you out with the clutch and var..

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=484343

ontargetracing
07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
here is a youtube vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dugnyRt4iY

selbygirl
07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
check all your factory connectios make sure there clean and tight check your spark plug wire .somtimes i cut a 1/4 inch off the ends of the wire and check the plug cap , sometimes a weak shoe spring will make it feel like a bad carb , what color is your spark plug it should be brown , where do you have your clip set at on your needle in carb . rais your clip it will let less fuel in carb, and if you can swing it get a pvl less headachs , and one way to see if your wghts are to heavy . take one roller out and do test run .take care tommy

boosted22
07-24-2012, 09:50 PM
thanks guys il keep trying different things, all wires etc look fine, plug is fairly black tho not brown, and clutch is pretty hot after few runs so guess got alot sorting out to go through would the 120 main/ 45 pilot jetting sound about right I know would slightly different to each country etc, needle clip is in the middle :) not sure why the clutch would be slipping when it's all new ****, defiantly don't know why it destroyed the pipe maybe the motor is moving or flew but the pipe been bolted too that would think it would move with the engine it did sit close to the nerf before it went into the head but didn't think it was hitting il keep on keeping on :)

boosted22
07-25-2012, 02:39 AM
so i put the old stock variator back on with some near new rollers I got with the bike not sure the weight, some slight jetting changes and it goes awesome so I'm stump'd ?? The new exhaust fell apart, and the variator didn't work not too happy !!

selbygirl
07-25-2012, 06:19 AM
i would contact marc at hot quads ever set up is differant wghts top end squash and pipe top end and pipe is like a maried couple some times it takes 3 mariags to get it right , just email him . he may even no a good dealer down under,