PDA

View Full Version : New Project Ideas!!!

KP's lil'300
03-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Again, I am sorry for doing this, but I am KP's brother. But he is gone on a school trip, and I had an Idea I want to run by somebody...

I currently have a Raptor, and am still trying to sell it. I was originally trying to buy a 250R, but now I have had a change of thought: Around here there are lots of Raptors running in the woods, but few have any motor work done. I really hate the way I always get picked on by people just wanting to tell their friends they out ran a Raptor, so I would like to build a sleeper quad. In other words, I would like a quad that looks mostly stock and will stomp a piped Raptor. So here is my idea...

I can buy a yellow 2001 400EX locally in excellent condition for around 2800-3000. I am thinking about selling the Raptor, buying the 400EX and having $1800 to put into the motor. What would it take for the 400EX to outrun the local piped Raptors and Banshees?

I am currently looking into a Sparks X-6 Exhaust, IMS 440 Sleeve, a JE 11:1 piston, a Stage 2 Hotcam, and some mild porting and polishing. I know I would also need a stronger clutch and possibly a better oil cooler. I have even thought about using an E-series exhaust just to blend in better with the locals.

Would this package be competitive? Overall the quad would look stock, other than the pipe, and hopefully be able to prey on the bigger bores and still stay under the high performance radar.

Just a thought, Thanks

Nic

lil400exman
03-08-2003, 12:19 PM
sorry you wont be able to beat em buy a c-dale if you want to beat em or get a 250r with a 330 cylinder on race gas high iwht a powervalve and a hinson clutch and will beat everything out there man heck you can even go 350r.........

Sportrax10
03-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by KP's lil'300
Again, I am sorry for doing this, but I am KP's brother. But he is gone on a school trip, and I had an Idea I want to run by somebody...

I currently have a Raptor, and am still trying to sell it. I was originally trying to buy a 250R, but now I have had a change of thought: Around here there are lots of Raptors running in the woods, but few have any motor work done. I really hate the way I always get picked on by people just wanting to tell their friends they out ran a Raptor, so I would like to build a sleeper quad. In other words, I would like a quad that looks mostly stock and will stomp a piped Raptor. So here is my idea...

I can buy a yellow 2001 400EX locally in excellent condition for around 2800-3000. I am thinking about selling the Raptor, buying the 400EX and having $1800 to put into the motor. What would it take for the 400EX to outrun the local piped Raptors and Banshees?

I am currently looking into a Sparks X-6 Exhaust, IMS 440 Sleeve, a JE 11:1 piston, a Stage 2 Hotcam, and some mild porting and polishing. I know I would also need a stronger clutch and possibly a better oil cooler. I have even thought about using an E-series exhaust just to blend in better with the locals.

Would this package be competitive? Overall the quad would look stock, other than the pipe, and hopefully be able to prey on the bigger bores and still stay under the high performance radar.

Just a thought, Thanks

Nic
FST39mm carb also...

I think that will beat piped Raptors...

03-08-2003, 07:48 PM
put a yzf 250 motor in your 300ex get like a 270 big bore or something.....it should take a stock 250r easily

KP's lil'300
03-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for replying. I still don't really know what I want. I don't want a C-Dale just because of parts avaliability. Also the 300EX is not mine, it is KP's I am jsut using his username to post this idea. Currently I still have my Raptor. Thanks

Nic