PDA

View Full Version : workout

mike2001400ex
07-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Started working out today for racing. Did p90x cardio a 20 minute bike ride through trails, did 20 laps in my pool and now sitting in a ice bath. What did you guys do

HondaRacing83
07-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Well today I drank a few cans of mtn dew, ate some frozen pizza, played with some kittens, slept past noon, and sat on my ***. top that lmao. im goin on a ride with some friends in a few though so i gotta go get ready for that lol

mike2001400ex
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Well today I drank a few cans of mtn dew, ate some frozen pizza, played with some kittens, slept past noon, and sat on my ***. top that lmao. im goin on a ride with some friends in a few though so i gotta go get ready for that lol

That will be hard to beat

ben300
07-21-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mike2001400ex
Started working out today for racing. Did p90x cardio a 20 minute bike ride through trails, did 20 laps in my pool and now sitting in a ice bath. What did you guys do

i do a lot of different workouts, but here goes:

3-4 days a week i lift, not super heavy, but heavy. I focus on push/pull power movies such like bench, shouldder press, dips, pull ups, chin ups, squats, uprgiht rows, etc...

im currently using a modified texas method/joe defranco 3x4 method. thats 3 exercises with 4 sets per body body part. monday chest tris, wednesday bi's and back, friday shoulders legs, and friday is chest tris and back and bi's days

also on a days i lift, i do 30-45 minutes on the rower, and ill run 3-5 miles

days that i dont lift, i'll do crossfit or ill do crossfit style workouts that are offered at the gym im a member at, and i'll still run on those days as well. on average, i work out 5-6 days a week, sometiems 4, some times six..it just depends.

quad2xtreme
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll start with my diet which is probably more important than your workout regiment:

Drink mostly water
No soda
Some tea but only small amount of sugar (and wish I didn't need it)
Only 6 oz of red meat a month
Only 3 oz of chicken a week
No dairy except if it is unavoidable in a recipe
No egg except if it is unavoidable in a recipe
Drink a concoction of Organic soy milk, organic Inka Meal, Akea supplement (nearly organic), and another organic "greens" supplement.
Eat nothing but organic fruit and vegetables
Only organic raw nuts like almonds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds
Eat salads 3-4 times a week
Eat fish 4 times a week
Eat black bean burgers 3-4 times a week
Eat a fair amount of oatmeal and it is the only thing I eat from McDonalds
Eat zero fried foods

Weakness is chocolate chip cookies (which I get vegan from Whole Foods) and chocolate cake.

I workout with a trainer 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes but also work out on my own for another 30 minutes after I am finished with him. I generally have an average heart rate of about 140-145 for those 60 minutes.

I work out on my own 2-3 times a week for 60 minute sessions and generally have heart rate in that same range of 140 bpm.

I've done 2 complete cycles of P90X during the last 18 months.

I am capable of going with an average heart rate of 160 for 60+ minutes but realize this isn't something you do on a daily basis (running near your peak will actually shorten your lifespan and is actually worse than not working out at all). I've peaked my heart rate at 185 even this past week (definitely not healthy and in heart attack range for my age...I am almost 48).

What I can tell you is I see pictures of my classmates on Facebook and I look 10 years younger than most of them.

Pacheco_450r
07-22-2012, 01:46 AM
My plan is very simple workout wise. I do cardio 2-3 times a week from any where of 30min to 1 hr depending on intensity. I lift and do full body workouts 1-2 days a week and try to ride at least one a week, usually sundays if I do at my local track.

Nutrition-wise my plan is very different than Quad2extreme's diet. I definitely don't wan't to start a debate about organic's but coming from a farming and dairy family organics aren't necessarily healthier and even dangerous in some instances. I very rarely eat out, and never eat fast food. I eat balanced meals, with a meat (beef, chicken, pork) (or fish about once a week.) Good whole grains like wheat bread or brown rice. Lots of good fresh fruit some veggies, I usually cook them if I do. For snacks I like peanut butter and honey sandwiches, or some more fresh fruit or even some cheese and wheat thins crackers or mixed nuts. And I drink lots and lots of milk always whole. My favorite post workout or post moto drink is a big ice cold chocolate milk. It's perfectly balanced with calories, carbs, fat and protein and I feel great for my 2nd moto!

dxcody
07-22-2012, 06:09 AM
If you have a place to ride thats close, pounding laps for a few hours a day is the only thing that preps me for riding.

I could do a years worth of p90x and go take off riding and be tired in 20 mins if im not used to riding everyday.

Exrider434
07-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
If you have a place to ride thats close, pounding laps for a few hours a day is the only thing that preps me for riding.

I could do a years worth of p90x and go take off riding and be tired in 20 mins if im not used to riding everyday.

I completely disagree with that. When I started racing I was totally out of shape, then started to work on cardio (3-5 miles a day) and it mad such a difference doing just that alone. I could pump out 10 hard laps on a Mx track where before I was only able to do 3-5 hard laps. You would be surprised what a little cardio work will do for you.

madskrillz2
07-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
I completely disagree with that. When I started racing I was totally out of shape, then started to work on cardio (3-5 miles a day) and it mad such a difference doing just that alone. I could pump out 10 hard laps on a Mx track where before I was only able to do 3-5 hard laps. You would be surprised what a little cardio work will do for you.

Yeah. I don't think there's a better substitute than riding, but doing some kind of cardio is a whole lot better than doing nothing.

HondaRacing83
07-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly nothing will help me than riding. I go ride mtn bikes with friends and stuff but its not daily, I play soccer also. Only thing that I've found extremely helps me is extensive stretching before riding.

Ruby Soho
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
its funny, i never work out. for my everyday life my job is a workout enough for me. but when i ride, especially race you can absolutely tell i dont keep in shape for it. a hot couple of laps and im kicked. :p

i dont take it seriously enough anymore to do a thing about it though. pitbike cruises through the town or a quick ride in the trails on the cr is about all i see these days.

ben300
07-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434

I totally agree with this. I agree wthat there is no substitute for seat time on the bike or quad or what ever you bay be on, but if it was true that if you just went out and rode adn you'd be in good shape then thats what all the pros would do, mx, quad, mx, gncc, supercross, etc.....there is a reason why these guys are insane when it comes to their work out regimine and their physical fitness...

ben300
07-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Honestly nothing will help me than riding. I go ride mtn bikes with friends and stuff but its not daily, I play soccer also. Only thing that I've found extremely helps me is extensive stretching before riding.

you'll think this now, but wait till you start racing. you'll change your mind. if your going to go out and race for 4-6 laps, or 2 hours in an xc and become and XC1 pro like you want to become, then your either going to have to get serious about your fitness, or you'll just get left behind

ask adam mcgill, borich, walker fowler, brian wolfe...any of htose guys,

or wienen, thomas brown, natalie...any of those guys will tell you they are just as dedicated to their fitness as they are to their riding

it may not seem like such a big deal now that you are 14 years old, because when your fourteen and active, your pretty healthy, but when you hit your 20's, you'll see a BIG difference if you dont keep yourself in shape. take it from a 25 year old for what its worth

madskrillz2
07-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ben300
it may not seem like such a big deal now that you are 14 years old, because when your fourteen and active, your pretty healthy, but when you hit your 20's, you'll see a BIG difference if you dont keep yourself in shape. take it from a 25 year old for what its worth

Best thing I've read so far. When I was in my teens I could go laps until I ran out of gas. Last time I rode, which was at least 4 months ago, I could go 2 laps before I was pretty much gasping for air. (I'm 23 btw) That pretty much was a wake up call and I have been back in the gym regularly again. I've lost 16 pounds since then. I haven't had a chance to ride lately but I'm sure just the weight loss will help out quite a bit.

finsteratv
07-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Eat healthy, run during XC and Track season (distance) Swim in winter. Both during summer along with logging and I'll do weights mixed in there at different times. Water water water. I can't do moto or quad races since im a big running racer and can't get hurt. But that keeps me in shape for riding hard all day

dxcody
07-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Not entirely true.

All borich does is pound laps all day at his house. He does no training what so ever.

Ask anyone who knows Borich, i talked to him personally and he said all he does is Seat time.

I never said seat time is better than cardio work outs... What i said was, FOR ME i could work out all the time in the world, but if im not used to riding than the work outs dont help me at all.

There is nothing that cures arm pump except riding and getting used to riding. That i have found anyways, and i find that i dont get out of breath, but cant steer because my arm pump gets so bad.

ben300
07-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Not entirely true.

All borich does is pound laps all day at his house. He does no training what so ever.

Ask anyone who knows Borich, i talked to him personally and he said all he does is Seat time.

I never said seat time is better than cardio work outs... What i said was, FOR ME i could work out all the time in the world, but if im not used to riding than the work outs dont help me at all.

There is nothing that cures arm pump except riding and getting used to riding. That i have found anyways, and i find that i dont get out of breath, but cant steer because my arm pump gets so bad.

borrich is just in a whole nother class of his own when it comes to his ridding ability. He's kind of like ricky carmichael, michale schumacher, michael phelps, jordan, jamie bestwick, shawn white, usane bolt...these people poses a physical and mental gift given to them, that you nor i have. they have this gift always, and will always have it...

with that also being said, back to borrich. it comes down to ability for him. borrich here in PA used to show up at local XC races on a bone stock z400 and would beat anyone and everyone. he would just walk away from teh competition. that is a gift, not an acquired ability. sure if he wasnt out practicing, hes probalby not goin to be as dominate as he is...he's in hsi prime, he's at his best, and he has a gift that only a couple others share right now...

with all that being said, id imagine borrich puts more prep time into his fitness that what he leads on.....and for arm pump, i rarely get arm pump at all anymore, unless im goign all out as hard as i can on a really rough mx track...i account this to my physical preparation not just seat time. last race i did, a-arm pump wasnt a factor, cardio wasnt a factor......my knees hur tthough..that could be because i was a month out from geting cleared after breaking my femur...

i see guys say it all the time. especially guys that race thart are 20-25 years at age.. "oh, i dont need to train, il ljust ride" ya..thats great, you get seat time, you know your bike real well...but these same dudes, ALWAYS get passed in the last lap by younger ridres, or ridres that are my physically prepped because these dudes are just sucking wind like a fat kid running down the block....

ben300
07-23-2012, 10:25 PM
i now other quad forums have them, but this forum could greatly bennefit from having a heatlh, fitness, training forum where we could all share ideas, and stories, and traning techinques and work out advice......this would be great for some of you younger guys that want to get your racing carriers going

Exrider434
07-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Seat time isn't the cure for everything. I practice 3 times a week plus one race day and i am far off the top guys in my class simply because i do not have the stamina they do. I can hang with them right off the gate but fall back due to my lack of cardio training.

madskrillz2
07-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Maybe not for you but high rep forearm exercises always helped me a lot. Especially wrist rolls and farmer's walk.

honda400ex2003
07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
ive been doing some pedal biking at night along with some jumping jacks or sit ups depending on the night.

been doing it almost 2 weeks now :D i took the weekend off though since it was 90+ all day so i have probably 6-7 days in so far riding.

pretty proud of myself!

sorry that doesnt pertain to getting in shape for riding at all haha

steve

ben300
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
ive been doing some pedal biking at night along with some jumping jacks or sit ups depending on the night.

been doing it almost 2 weeks now :D i took the weekend off though since it was 90+ all day so i have probably 6-7 days in so far riding.

pretty proud of myself!

sorry that doesnt pertain to getting in shape for riding at all haha

steve

hey man, its a start! just keep it up and try and progress yourself. you'd be amazed at how much bettre you feel and life is hwne you live a healthy lifestyle

HondaRacing83
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
i never get armpump. the only thing that bothers me is sometimes my legs

ben300
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Maybe not for you but high rep forearm exercises always helped me a lot. Especially wrist rolls and farmer's walk.

dude probably switch hit spanks it consistently :devil:

madskrillz2
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
dude probably switch hit spanks it consistently :devil:

Duh. Why do you think I'm ambidextrous? Lol:muscle:

honda400ex2003
07-24-2012, 09:07 PM
hey man, its a start! just keep it up and try and progress yourself. you'd be amazed at how much bettre you feel and life is hwne you live a healthy lifestyle

yup, that it is, a good start.

ive been feeling pretty good, wish i could sleep better though.

steve

Jake250ex
07-27-2012, 08:55 PM
you'll think this now, but wait till you start racing. you'll change your mind. if your going to go out and race for 4-6 laps, or 2 hours in an xc and become and XC1 pro like you want to become, then your either going to have to get serious about your fitness, or you'll just get left behind

ask adam mcgill, borich, walker fowler, brian wolfe...any of htose guys,

or wienen, thomas brown, natalie...any of those guys will tell you they are just as dedicated to their fitness as they are to their riding

wolfe doesnt workout either, or even lead somewhat of a healthy lifestyle lol those guys party harder than anyone. also have a close friend, wont say who or give it away but just recently won a national A class championship and the dude does nothing to train and smokes bud all day everyday.

granted some of the guys are more strict and disciplined as others youd be shocked of some xc1 guys habits.

I think dirtbike mx is more extreme cause alot more of those guys make a living, and are paid a hell of alot better than quad guys so they train and sacrifice more. Jimmy decotis slams mountain dew like its his job.

mental toughness and being comfortable on your bike is what makes you fast, not being able to run for hours. not knocking anyone who works out but look at wolfe and ballance they both had bellies and would whoop any of us

dxcody
07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex

granted some of the guys are more strict and disciplined as others youd be shocked of some xc1 guys habits.

Ever notice how Borich always has a MTN Dew after every single race? haha

Im not disagreeing with anything anyone said here.

I never said, working out wouldnt help. I just meant that it takes a combo of both, riding and working out for me to get anything out of it.

You can be as phyically fit as possible and still get smoked out on the track if you are not used to riding, for those 20 min motos, or those 2 hour GNCC's.

For me, riding wears me down very awkardly. I dont get out of breath usually ever. But Arm pump and thumb goes completely numb after about 25 - 30 mins of hardcore, head down, charging, riding.

Now, maybe if i worked out, i wouldnt get arm pump, but i have before and it didnt help... maybe i jsut didnt do it long enough, maybe i just didnt do it hard enough... Not sure, but either way, i just wanted to get my point across that i wasnt saying working out didnt help, i was just saying (as stated above) For me, it takes just as much riding, as it does physical fitness or else i see no gains.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
I have a video from when I was 16 that I rode a full half hour all out, pulled off to the side of the track and told dad where to stand then just kept busting laps at race speed. Not on video but I remember sneaking cigarettes behind the truck that day and I was hungover. At 22 I can do 3 laps all out if I'm having a good day! It will catch up with you youngsters.