PDA

View Full Version : ??for people with a 450r carb on EX

qlphoton
07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
I have an 08 400ex and just got the 450 carb on,and there is no way the heat sheild under the tank will fit .Do you run with out it?the tank seems to fit right over it with no problems.I dont like the idea of running without the sheild on it.

CJM
07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
I cut my heat shield slightly and I took a heat gun and formed the tank (empty of course) ever so slightly.

I also raised the front plastics slightly using some carriage bolts and mounting a nut under the mount and then the front mount and another nut.

dxcody
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by qlphoton
I have an 08 400ex and just got the 450 carb on,and there is no way the heat sheild under the tank will fit .Do you run with out it?the tank seems to fit right over it with no problems.I dont like the idea of running without the sheild on it.

Thats always one of the first things i take off lol

It just makes it alot fast to adjust your valves and what not if you take it off.

hondaREX
07-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Just got in from installing my 450r carb and my heat shield just needed to be trimmed. Def wouldnt install the tank without it. In my case, the tank sat completely on the carb and i didnt want that. With the little rubber cushions on the heat shield, the tank sat just above the carb. Looks like it previously rubbed on the carb so i may try CJMs heat gun trick or try washers and longer bolts for the shield. I plan to get a bunch of pics and post them if i get the time. Tonight was just mock up. Tomorrow night jet it and finish the install.

Stickman400
07-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I had that same problem when I first installed my heat shield. But after some fiddling it fit right in, barely.My tank does rub on the top of the carb. slightly, but it isn't going to rub a hole in the tank so I'm not worried about it.