PDA

View Full Version : Caliper\Piston Q

HondaRacing83
07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Me and my dad changed the brakes on the front of my quad earlier, the pistons in the caliper were froze up. we got them somewhat loose and put the new pads in but they rub on the rotor and my dad says itll be fine and eventually they will break loose. I was advised by a friend to take them apart and clean the pistons and theyd be fine and it wouldnt rub. My dad refuses to help me with anything after this and that im on my own even though i did most of it before. Brakes arent exactly my strong suit. If someone could guide me in the direction as to what i need to do and give me some instructions itd be greatly appreciated.

Drfat400ex
07-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Well I havn't did it before but I'm pretty sure you need new seals. The seal kit is only a couple bucks from honda I think because they are just a couple of little seals haha. I need to do it to, my brakes arn't that bad but one locks harder than the other and it gets kinna annoying. I'm sure it's not very hard to do, but one of the experts will tell ya on here anyways haha

Drfat400ex
07-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Oh but it also depends it might just be rubbing because the pads are new especially if they're sevre duty, I'd drive it for a couple hours and see what happens if they still rub or if like myn one locks harder or before the other then you probably need the seal kit.

HondaRacing83
07-20-2012, 12:05 AM
ive had the brakes apart numerous times and never used new seals haha and they are just some $11 front brakes off ebay. got a free pen? i was in a pinch and needed brakes.. usually i woulda got dp or ebc. i have brass or bronze rear pads i forget but they are custom and will never wear out

400exwhipper
07-20-2012, 09:06 AM
There's two plugs, with two hex bolts the go through the pads, clean them up on the wire wheel and grease em, then grease your slide pins, there's a small one and then one big one which is also a hex bolt, also compress the piston all the way in with a c clamp and you could spray some WD 40 in there, if it turns out you actually need seals take everything back out, take the bleeder screw out, put compressed air on it and watch the piston shoot out, be careful though I usually aim it at a table or something, brakes are the easy stuff man!

HondaRacing83
07-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks, but can someone go a little more in depth and guide me. It helped I'm still a bit confused though.

Balaz_73*00
07-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Theres really not much to a caliper once you actually take it apart. Just dig right in, it should be pretty intuitive once you have it apart.

D3structive
07-22-2012, 11:19 AM
As with any machine they require basic periodic maintenance that will keep it efficient and long lasting. head to autozone and grab a tube of caliper grease and a grease gun for under $20 and grease those calipers every few rides. you will avoid issues like this in the future.