PDA

View Full Version : sell or keep on all the way

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Ok,

my 400 has had a lot of problems.... 1st i dropped a valve, then a seal went bad, now the starter (i think) is bad, the carb needs a few things, I cut my chain 1 to many links short trying to adjust it...

So far, i've put a lot into it! Beadlocks, labor, a new chain/sprokets when i didn't really need them, but the chain mishap came.... Just bought new tires.... I've sunk a lot into this....

I'm stuck.... it's an awesome quad! But i have 2 choices....

1) Sell it cheap and get a normal 450.. :(

2) Sink more money into it, until i have a truley awesome quad... A dependable quad!!

So if i go with choice #1 I'll never get what i have into it back out of it....

So if i go with choice #2, I'll have a ton of money in it, and still a 400ex.....

SO if i mod it more, after i get it lined out, i'd like to get front beadlocks, or rok outs....

I'm debating between HiPer fronts, Douglas fronts, or nonbeadlock front..... (Hiper, or the rok-outs)

Then i'm debating swapping my TC shorty for a sparks....

Thoughts?

(sorry for the so's, and going on and on... but its just bad :( ....you know.....)

:chinese: :ermm:

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Current Pic

chronicsmoke
07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Depends on what you're doing.. If you intend on racing, 450.. But you could end up in the same situation with a 450.

You can't fault the chain incident on the quad, but you do have a nice looking bike.

If you're not trying to compete with 450's and not racing it than stick with it, why change?

You could probably strike a deal to keep your beadlocks if you trade for a 450 though.

HondaRacing83
07-18-2012, 11:33 AM
if you sell it put your stock rear rims on it keep your beadlocks maybe your old set of tires and keep xrexs

dxcody
07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck

I'm debating between HiPer fronts, Douglas fronts, or nonbeadlock front..... (Hiper, or the rok-outs)

So you mean to tell me, after all the threads you have told people repeatedly , Dont buy hipers, they shatter blah blah blah, now your considering buying hipers?

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, i've been keeping the facts in mind..

The only reason i'd go with Hipers is because... they do look pretty cool... And their customer service is 10x better than DWT... :o

bottom line is...... i'm confused... but ones things sure... if i keep this quad... definetly getting new fronts!

And hey... Chronicsmoke....

Thats a real nice... ehmmm... 250r you've got!

You like my 400? :D :D

j/k :D

2001400exrida
07-18-2012, 02:21 PM
the starter, carb, and chain are easy fixes. I would say if you're wanting a 450r, then get yours tip top so you can get the most out of it. Otherwise, that's a nice looking 400ex, if you can catch up on the repairs and then just maintain it, you will surely be happy with it!

chronicsmoke
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
And hey... Chronicsmoke....

Thats a real nice... ehmmm... 250r you've got!

You like my 400? :D :D

j/k :D

Come and buy it from me :D

slightlybent47
07-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Way you didn’t think you could be in this sport without spending a lot of money did you?lol join the club!

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Come and buy it from me :D

How much?!

Looking at this yfz! ↓

(waiting for a call)

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 04:43 PM
i just got a call from......................

the local phone company warning of a scam in which they said obama will pay their phone bill for a month, wanting personal imfo!! Dead serious! :D :D :chinese:

CJM
07-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Atleast you know your 400 will be dependable. I myself have way to much sunk into mine to sell it for any profit. In all honesty besides the frontend mine rides good and I can keep up with the 450s fine. Where I ride you never really utilize the power of the 450 fully.

Plus in my case I need 2 quads, case I crash or break one I got a back up.

junior636
07-18-2012, 05:39 PM
I have been in the same boat, ever since I bought mine I have had a lot of troubles. I have an extremely clean 400 with every part aftermarket other than a steering stem. I have had it for sale for months and can't even sell it for $2000. I have just decided to keep mine, if I sell it I'm parting out all the aftermarket and selling as a stocker cheap. Not much else you can do. I have also tried to trade for stock 450's with no luck.

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by junior636
I have been in the same boat, ever since I bought mine I have had a lot of troubles. I have an extremely clean 400 with every part aftermarket other than a steering stem. I have had it for sale for months and can't even sell it for $2000. I have just decided to keep mine, if I sell it I'm parting out all the aftermarket and selling as a stocker cheap. Not much else you can do. I have also tried to trade for stock 450's with no luck.

Everyone that has a 450 wants another 450, and everyone that has a 400 wants a 450.... or thats the way it seems! :D

The 450 guys just won't take anything but another! Its depressing! lol

jgar
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Ok, so we know what you have done to it. Now we have to know what it needs? Are you going to be on the track or trail? No matter what you buy or keep you will be dumping some coin into it.

TacicalRedneck
07-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by jgar
Ok, so we know what you have done to it. Now we have to know what it needs? Are you going to be on the track or trail? No matter what you buy or keep you will be dumping some coin into it.

I've been getting into trail more here lately, we have a laid back area to ride in, i still like to ride on the "redneck mx track" sometimes. The jumps are real long, you'll see utilities getting air! (i once saw a mule get air!, but nosedive.)

Pretty much 2 acres of uphill jumps, berms, a few doubles, and 2 big tabletops at the top!
I'll ride that off and on all day, the trails lead right up to it...

The place i do most of my riding, The trails have mud, and LOTS of rock!! Smooth rock, loose rock, jagged rock, every kind of rock you can think of.... I beleive they did some sort of xc type stuff at the place, and i'm for sure they had a hillclimb competiition.... some big wig stuff!!

Anyway.........

jgar
07-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I could be wrong but I dont see how a 450 would be any good in really rocky place. Your trails sound like mine. If you do decide to upgrade give some serious thought to a 700xx. You will understand after you take one for a test ride.

CJM
07-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Ride a 450 in that area first. I will tell you right now, a 450 likes to be in the upper rpm range and you need to shift alot on tight stuff.

smelly$cat
07-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Keep the 400. It looks good :)

Unless you drag race all the time, that's the only thing a 450 will help you with, else, I think the 400 is just as good in all other areas.

I currently have a 440ex and a kfx450r, if the knuckle heads I ride with at the dunes didn't like to drag race all the time, I'd probably never ride the 450 as my 440 is widened out with elka's etc... so is much more plush to ride and has more torque down low.

toomanytoys
07-20-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd keep the 400 for the riding you are describing.

I recently bought a 2012 400EX. It was down to the 450 or the 400. I knew how a 400EX ran I had a 99 back in 2000-2003 and I sold it when life hit me and I haven't owned a quad since.

I trail ride, and very rarely hit the track for little bits. But I'm almost 30 now, vs when I used to ride a lot of was 18-19 and didn't give a crap about my body and if I busted myself up. And I had to have the biggest baddest quad out of my friends. Back before the 450s the 400EX was king of the mountain IMO, better than the raptor 660 that my friend had.

I rode a friends 450, out in the open that thing is a freaking monster! It will haul ***, gobs of power, and just a blast. Get in tight stuff, and I hated it! No reverse, liked to be revved up and I hated how big it felt.

I bought the 400 and it is perfect for me. Plenty of power stock and rides plenty nice for the amount of MX I do. But keep in mind at this point in my life I no longer care how fast my bike is or if I can beat my friends around the track. I just want to have fun and enjoy myself. My bike will see no motor mods, only some nerfs and different front bumper since I already smashed the stock one off a pretty large rock.

It comes down to what fits you. If you are young and still want to get out the tape measure everytime you ride then go with a 450. If not then fix your bike and enjoy it. Your problems aren't bad. I've fixed much worse on my bikes.

TacicalRedneck
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Ok...... i guess i'll keep it for a while....

But... an owner who had it way before me saw it on craigslist and he wants to buy it back.... he had $2500 or an f150..... nahh.... I wouldnt take $2500, once i get front rims i'll have $1,000 in the wheels and tires alone! So i told him i'd give him a shot a it when i'm ready to sell it.... :) :)

So now, back to modding :p

For the pipe..... you guys think i should swap my tc for a sparks?

Front rims..... DWT beadlocks or non beadlock fronts? Black or orange rings? :rolleyes: :D

dxcody
07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
i think black rings up front would look good.

$2500 is a high $$$ offer around here... It doesnt get much better than that.