PDA

View Full Version : checking oil

deadman
07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
am i doing something wrong ? when my quad sits for a few days it reads almost full. after starting it or riding it i shut it off pull the dip stick and i can actually see oil at the top of the oil reserve. after wiping the dip stick and putting it back in to recheck the oil it still has oil coming to the top of the dip stick and i can see the oil in the reserve ( or whatever they call the place were you put oil in)....is this normal? im confused.

on the rocks
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
well like everything oil expands when its warmed up. but sounds like you have too much in it, if it at the top of the dip stick.

deadman
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
after letting it set for 3 days i checked it just now before starting it and it was in the middle between the lower and upper level.... after idling for a few minutes i shut it off pulled the dip stick and it was to the top were i could see oil. i wiped off the dip stick and put it back in and checked it again and it was still were i could see oil in the oil tank....

CJM
07-17-2012, 09:04 PM
1. Drain all the oil.
2. Change the filter
3. Refill the oil. Add 1.5 qts, let warm up for 10 mins then add another 1/2 quart.

It will be perfect.

Drfat400ex
07-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Do what CJM said, but just so you know, the proper way to check oil level is to start the engine and let it idel for about 10 minutes until it's completely warm, unthread the dipstick, wipe it off, thread it all the way in then take it back out and that's where your oil level is. Oil expands when it's warm as stated but when it sits it also drains back into the crankcase making it read lower.

TheAwesomehonda
07-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
Do what CJM said, but just so you know, the proper way to check oil level is to start the engine and let it idel for about 10 minutes until it's completely warm, unthread the dipstick, wipe it off, thread it all the way in then take it back out and that's where your oil level is. Oil expands when it's warm as stated but when it sits it also drains back into the crankcase making it read lower. You don't screw the dipstick in when checking the oil level!!!

Drfat400ex
07-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
You don't screw the dipstick in when checking the oil level!!! You don't screw it all the way back in? I always did.

CJM
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
You can if you wish. it makes it have maybe a teeny bit more if you dont screw it in and check. I dont screw mine in fwiw.

TheAwesomehonda
07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
You don't screw it all the way back in? I always did. No you just set it in without threading it in.. If you don't believe me look at a manual.

Drfat400ex
07-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Lol good to know, doesn't seem like it matters anyhow, but that's how I check myn.

TheAwesomehonda
07-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Lol good to know, doesn't seem like it matters anyhow, but that's how I check myn. Well if you screw it in then it will seem like there is more oil when there actually isn't.. I'm just stating the correct way to do it.

Drfat400ex
07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Well if you screw it in then it will seem like there is more oil when there actually isn't.. I'm just stating the correct way to do it. Yep I realize that, but really if it's right at the bottom by checking it either way, then you're in trouble, which is what really matters anyways. Either way you do it as long as you do it the same way every time you will be able to tell when you're losing oil.