PDA

View Full Version : 39mm First ride noticed problems

rhandw69
03-07-2003, 09:30 PM
I just took my bike out for a test run. Just got it out of the shop, so I wanted to try the new Port work and new carb and pipe. The bike fires up easy, i notice this low end hesitation that everyone talks about. What fixes that problem??

Mid range is awesome,,,however when at top, i cant tell if im hitting my rev limiter,,or if the jetting is off. It kinda sputters a tad at top speed. Now i did lower the main jet that it came with, but if the bike is lean,,,what would the performance do at top end. Would it sputter or pop. How would it be different if it were too rich?
Thanks

R-Crazy
03-07-2003, 09:43 PM
unless it is REALLY lean, it probably wont do that. sounds rich. Go down till it gets better or if it doesnt, go up till it does. Also, move the clip up or down one to see if it is at optimal jetting right now.

dave

Doibugu2
03-08-2003, 07:52 AM
I think the air screw driver thingy that C&D sells will help with the hesitation. Talk to Extremeracer, I think that solved his problem. The thing I am talking is about 20 and you leave it on the carb so you can adjust it at any time.

nakomis0
03-08-2003, 10:04 AM
Check you plug cooler.

You defintely might be hitting the rev limiter, I also had that problem, and it was hard to tell if it was the limit or bad jetting.

About the lowend hesitation, its kinda up to you if its a big enough problem to try and fix.

If the bike is running pretty decent and the plug color is good. You may just want to leave it. You also have to consider that the weather is going to be changing alot and could effect it either bad or good.

You also might wanna try a few runs with the air box lid on and off, see if you feel any deferences there.

Extremeracer167
03-08-2003, 10:22 AM
yeah ill tell ya what, i gotta give it props. That little adj. screw does wonders! Ide get on the phone and order one. Everyone that has a FCR should get one of these!!

nakomis0
03-08-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
yeah ill tell ya what, i gotta give it props. That little adj. screw does wonders! Ide get on the phone and order one. Everyone that has a FCR should get one of these!!

Hey man could you give some more detail? How much does it change the jetting, is it for midrange, topend, ect.? And anything else you feel is helpful.

Extremeracer167
03-08-2003, 11:13 AM
well u dont have to change jetting. Alls it does is allows u to adjust your air screw without taking the carb off or struggling to get a screw driver up in the hole. But with the recommended position on the screw, it just seemed to work out perfect. i dont have any hesitation anymore when i really LAND on the throttle. And thats what i was trying to get rid of. I think i payed $24 shipped to my door. Not a bad price to get rid of that hic-up. Becuase i know ppl that invested some big time cash in jets and differant parts for that carb to try and rid of that problem. And its all in a $24 adj screw. LMAO:p

KandK952
03-08-2003, 11:35 AM
if this is an fcr carb we are talking about than it is probably the accelerator pump pumping too much gas when you hit the throttle. mine does it sometimes, my brothers does, and a couple friends that have fcr's usually do it. if i am right it will usually only do it when you idle and then punch the throttle quick. i wouldnt worry too much about it

KandK952
03-08-2003, 11:36 AM
oh yeah and if you want you can adjust the accelerator pump somehow. i dont know how but you can.

Extremeracer167
03-08-2003, 11:43 AM
from what i was told be some carb guys is....it does that becuase it takes in a HUGE gulp of air. Your accelorator pumps supposedly runs for about.....4-5 seconds after u land on it. So i doubt its from the acc. pump

TDBRPH
03-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Couple of interesting threads........

http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5834&perpage=15&highlight=pump&pagenumber=1

http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42224&highlight=pump

trx400ex
03-08-2003, 08:58 PM
What is the deal with raising the tank? My carb wont fit under the tank. ANyone else have this problem?

TDBRPH
03-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Stock tank or aftermarket?

I have had no trouble at all.......

Carb fits perfectly....

nakomis0
03-09-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
What is the deal with raising the tank? My carb wont fit under the tank. ANyone else have this problem?

I think I know what your talking about.

If its the part where you have to trim the snorkle, for the throttle cable to sit .
Shouldnt have to raise the tank.

trx400ex
03-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Well i have a stock tank, but no airbox or snorkle. Right now the engine isnt in the frame, but when it was the tank was resting on top of the piece on the carb where you screw in the cable. I guess ill just have to wait untill it all gets back together again and take some pictures.