PDA

View Full Version : Clunk in the front end

jkosakowski
07-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Alright when i turn left there is a clunk in the front end. It has Brand New bearings, the upper ball joint has a small amount of play in it. Do you guys think i need new a arms? thanks.

07-14-2012, 12:51 PM
If the ball joints get bad enough they will make noise, usually over bumps. Check the bearing at the bottom of the steering stem, mine would make a bit of noise when turning when they went bad. Kind of like a popping sound, and if I turned the bars while sitting still I could feel the bars jump a little also

jgar
07-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I had the same problem with the stem bearing making noise. Check you tie rod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings, a arm bearings and shocks. Shouldnt be to hard to figure out. If everything is tight besides the ball joint replace the upper a arm.

400exwhipper
07-15-2012, 01:07 PM
No need to replace a arms or tie rods, yet, just buy a box of grease fittings, drill a hole into the top of all the ball joints and tie rod ends, and screw a fitting in and pack it with grease, fixed my front end completely along with new steering stem bearing

jkosakowski
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Raced it today and now I gotta buy new a arms they are whooped :D

hondaREX
07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
jski, did you fix your "clunk" in your front end? I have a new noise and was curious what yours was. Mine occurs when i hit the front brakes. Theres a clunk like the caliper is shifting but it is tight. Started noticing it when i put the YFZ calipers on and they lock up stronger than the EX stock calipers. Didnt happen right away but soon after the install. I believe its the a-arm bearings and mounts shifting when the brakes lock up. Let me know what yours was. Thanks.

jkosakowski
07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
It ended up being all the tie rods were worn out

hondaREX
07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok thanks. Kinda hard to roll the bike, hit the brakes and look listen and feel for the culprit alone. Probably have to pull the front end apart to isolate the noise.

jkosakowski
07-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Ya it can be pain to figure out some noises!

Stickman400
07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I found that if you hold your hand against everything that you think could be making the noise it will vibrate the metal surrounding it and you can feel it. I found out my ball joint was worn out this way when I thought it was my bottom shock bearing.

hondaREX
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
When i apply the front brakes it looks as if the upper a-arms are shifting forward quickly, and ever so slightly. Theres def some play when using a prybar between the a-arm bushings and the frame mount. Again, im going to have to tear it apart but not going to get to it right now. Nothing is going to fall off so no worries for now. Prob just throw a set of delrin bushings at them while there apart, why waste the time waiting on the parts. Its an 02 so im thinkin there original.

jgar
07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by hondaREX
When i apply the front brakes it looks as if the upper a-arms are shifting forward quickly, and ever so slightly. Theres def some play when using a prybar between the a-arm bushings and the frame mount. Again, im going to have to tear it apart but not going to get to it right now. Nothing is going to fall off so no worries for now. Prob just throw a set of delrin bushings at them while there apart, why waste the time waiting on the parts. Its an 02 so im thinkin there original.

I replaced my a arm bearings this spring. This little set up made it easy.
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g412/jgar400ex/bearing%20tool/