PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever used a hygear dual rate rear spring kit?

jhtrx250r
07-12-2012, 05:51 PM
looking for info on this set up Hygear dual rate rear spring kit, anyone ever tried one?
or have a used one for sale?

dustin_j
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I would recommend upgrading to a GT Thunder linkage and reavalve/respring over a dual rate spring kit. The dual rate spring kit with no valving changes will lower your ride height, but it won't fix the bucking from the stock linkage. The GTT links work great with a reworked stock shock!

Stickman400
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
x2 Especially since I had Dustin do the re-valve to my stock rear shock for my GT Thunder XC link and it came out perfect.

jhtrx250r
07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
That may be a better option , I'm trying to lower the ride height and get the correct amount of sag.
I am putting a set of pep zps shocks I had built by jet suspension on the front, they are set up for xc stock width arms and lower the quad a lot.
They have the correct amount of sag which is about 1/3 of the travel compressed with the rider on the quad .
I need something on the rear to match it for now , until I have a matching rear shock built.

I'm not sure what to do to make a 400 work in the rear?
On my 250r's I just send out the rear shocks have them built for long travel, and use a durablue adjusting dog bone to correct ride height.
The 400's use more complex linkage the 250 is just a dog bone style and only changes height.

Any help and info is appreciated

dustin_j
07-13-2012, 08:04 AM
The problem with the stock 400ex rear suspension is the linkage is too progressive. Meaning, as the wheels go through their travel (travel upward), the leverage on the shock increases a lot. This gives a lot of bottoming resistance since it gets so stiff, but this also works against you when your shock rebounds. It rebounds very strong and gives the "bucking" feeling Hondas are known for. The GT Thunder linkages correct this geometry issue to give appropriate linkage progression that is use-able and smooth. GTT Link (http://www.gtthunder.com/Product/04-001Link.htm)

However, the linkage is not enough as it changes how the suspension works. This means you will need to have your shock revalved and likely resprung. What do you weigh? What tire sizes? Like Stickman mentioned, the GTT links really change the ride of a 400; they work great! Please let me know if you have any more questions.

jhtrx250r
07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Rider weight with gear 180-190 , this is a spare bike I picked up for novice riders and my wife when we are riding dirt. (We mostly ride dunes)
I'm not ready to tear into the rear shock yet , the quad only has about 15hrs total time on it and everything is like new (we picked it up from a friend who had it stored the last 7 years)
I am going to check into links today.
I'm guessing the spring is too stiff ?
I have a assortment or rear springs from my 250r's and think I still have the stock shocks from my 06 450r somewhere?

dustin_j
07-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Actually, the spring will be too soft once the linkage is put on. You will need a 375-400 lb/in spring to use with the linkage. If you already have the correct spring, that'll cheapen up the conversion bill quite a bit. You could try just the link and swapping springs, but I can guarantee you won't be too impressed. The stock comp and rebound valving are too soft. I can understand not wanting to fix a shock that seems new, but you'd be surprised how nasty the oil is just from sitting in the shock that long. You probably changed engine oil before riding, the shock would benefit from similar treatment. The stock 450R shock wouldn't help much either since the spring rate is even softer and the lengths are slightly different. I hope this is helpful. I won't ride a Honda without an aftermarket linkage; I would feel much better having my wife on one also.

jhtrx250r
07-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I found a site on ebay that sells rear links and states they are the same as GT Thunders , so im guessing I need to start with the XC link ?
Dose that sound right?

dustin_j
07-13-2012, 12:41 PM
If you'll only ever use 20" or taller rear tires, and you want to lower the ride height for better control with the tall tires, the XC link is for you. Who sells the copies? I know GT Thunder sells some on ebay sometimes, but I haven't seen many copies. Check your PMs.

jhtrx250r
07-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks dustin, I sent a PM reply