PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Banshee won't run above idle

Rohr397
07-11-2012, 10:47 PM
So I took our 2002 Banshee out for a spin today after changing plugs and putting fresh gas in it (always run at 40:1, mixed with a Ratio Rite, using Yamalube 2R). At first things were going great, though it was a bit boggy. Then one of the cylinders started cutting out on the top end. It then came back on but was a little boggy through the midrange on the left cylinder. After continuing to ride it, it started to get boggy on the top end. We went and checked plugs and everything seemed good so we kept riding to see if it would get better or try to get an idea of what's going on. It ran that way for another half an hour then slowly started getting boggier and boggier. By the time we got home it wouldn't run above idle without dying. BUT it will rev all the way up in neutral just fine or with the clutch in, and when you give it gas really slowly it will work it's way into the topend and run with only one cylinder cutting in and out. Any ideas? I don't do two strokes, especially not the Banshee's so I have no clue where to start.

crlt250r
07-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Pull the caps off of the carbs. Sounds like a cable might have popped off the slide, or you may have a clogged main.

adamson350r
09-18-2012, 09:05 AM
You might have an air leek on one of your pipes. It made my wifes banshee misfire and not run right. It really stunk until I put a nice silicone hose, silicone, and a good hose clamp on it.

Another thought is check your parking brake at the rear brake. Buddy was out riding and had a rock flip up and hit it, causing it to run funny.

Hope you figure it out. Do you have compression?

Rohr397
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
That would make sense, the silencer cracked where it connects to the midpipe so that could easily be it. I'll also check that parking brake. Compression and everything is good. The other thing I was thinking was the air filter fell off while trail riding it awhile back. I luckily noticed it immediately and it only ran for maybe 15-30 seconds after. The topend is good but I'm thinking that it may be a plugged up carburetor. My mom doesn't want to mess with the thing though :rolleyes: she wants to trade it for a more fuel efficient car... apparently my 8mpg Chevy truck isn't "practical" or whatever that means :p

265 sleeper
10-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Sounds like the plug cap isn't on all the way. Causing a misfire