PDA

View Full Version : i pod touch 8gb or 32gb??

etccb
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Helping the 11 year old and 9 year old get touch's. Is the 8gb enough for music and all of these little games that they like to download? Office jerk, angry bird, etc etc etc that they like??? I do not want to get one that is too small but don't want to waste an extra 80.00 on each if the 32gb is not needed. I would like to get some advise from those that know if I could.
Thanks.

Scro
07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
It depends on the length of songs, but you can expect around 1000 songs. Apps really don't take up much memory.

ben300
07-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by etccb
Helping the 11 year old and 9 year old get touch's. Is the 8gb enough for music and all of these little games that they like to download? Office jerk, angry bird, etc etc etc that they like??? I do not want to get one that is too small but don't want to waste an extra 80.00 on each if the 32gb is not needed. I would like to get some advise from those that know if I could.
Thanks.

it depends on how much music your boys have. id say at their age, probalby not a whole lot, but i'll give you my perspective

..i had a droid, needed a new phone back in december, so i bought a 64 gig Iphone 4s......i at the time, had more music than what the 8 and the 16 gig could hold....thats excluding games and such

8 gigs is not a whole lot of memory. id say that, yes the $80.00 extra per ipod is a lot now, but it will theoreticall and essentially pay for itself in the next couple years with the music and such and games they will down load onto it, because they wont need to buy a new one with more capacity.

ben300
07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Scro
It depends on the length of songs, but you can expect around 1000 songs. Apps really don't take up much memory.

1000 songs is back when songs were around 4-5mb per song.....the average song now a day is around 8-10mb in legth....

bbender85
07-11-2012, 01:44 PM
there is a setting in iTunes in the summary screen when your device is plugged in that will convert all your high-bitrate music to whatever bitrate you choose thats saves a ton of space. i am at 893 songs and my phone shows 3.1GB of music space usage on the hard drive. unless you are using top-notch audiophile equipment with an unhuman-like musical ear on your best day, you won't notice a difference on a bitrate above 192kbps. hell i have mine set at 128mbps and its just fine. so for a kid it will be plenty.

on a slight tangent, i just went thru another similar debate. i've had a 32gb iTouch for a few years now with just over 2,000 songs on it, so i assumed i'd need a 32gb iphone as well. well a tech buddy of mine saved me $200 by recommending i just get the 8gb phone and use google music to upload all my music to a server, and buy the $.99 app to stream it when/wherever i want to. it also stays synced with iTunes, so any changes i make to playlists and whatnot automatically update.

save yourself the $160.

etccb
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I know bigger is always better but I am torn on this. So do you think an 8gb would hold 400 songs and all of the silly little free download app games they would want?

bbender85
07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
absolutely. i'm assuming you posted that before you saw my last post.

etccb
07-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
absolutely. i'm assuming you posted that before you saw my last post.

Yes, on the phone etc. I am working you know.
Thanks for helping an old timer.

bbender85
07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by etccb
..I am working you know.

i am "at work" too lol.

also, do your homework and find the most protective case possible, whatever that is i'm not sure. i had my 2-month old iTouch in my hoody pocket and bent over to put my shoes on and it fell out, hit the floor, and cracked the screen. i was FURIOUS. :mad:

HondaRacing83
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
i had a 3rd gen ipod touch that i got for christmas a few years back and i got a 4th gen for christmas this year. both 8gigs and ive never ran outta space. i buy all my songs on itunes so i dont have to many lol maybe a few hundred over the years and apps. i had a problem with my 4th gen holding hundreds of puctures of my quad because i went through a phase where i thought i was a pro photographer :o lol. but on a side not i have an otterbox on my ipod and it saved my life because ive dropped it on concrete so many times. my dad just ditched his otterbox on his iphone and got one of those lifeproof cases that are waterproof, we spent hours taking videos underwater lmao

Kickstarts-suck
07-11-2012, 05:55 PM
8 gigs will be fine for 400 songs + apps and everything else.

I have a 16 gb iPhone 4s, 16 gb flash drive and 8 gb iPod.

I have 1900 songs on my 16gig flash drive.

etccb
07-12-2012, 06:36 AM
We got the 8gb.
Thanks everyone.

OldGuyonaQuad
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
thanks guys I am upgrading to an iphone today and was undecided on which size to get, your replies were most helpful to me as well.