PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue start not working?

junior636
07-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I went to start my 400 and the battery was dead. Put it on the charger for a few hours and came back and now it will not do anything at all. I haven't tried to chase the problem much yet because I do not have a test light or my multi meter here at home right now. So....when I hit the start switch nothing happens at all! No click, no attempt to roll over, nothing. I thought maybe my cheap battery charger was junk so I tried jumping it off my truck and that produced the same results. I played with the kill switch and all the wiring a little to see if a connection was loose but didn't come up with anything. The only thing that happens when you hit the start switch is you can see the neutral light dim a little. Any ideas? Or at least a good few things to check first? On a side note, are there any known culprits that slowly drain the battery when the key is off?

AtvKid4Eva
07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
check the fuse right next to the battery, its in a small fuse holder. Also take off the battery connections and clean them and then re connect them. Sometimes they get corrosion between then. If neither of these work, check the grounds and look for burnt/ touching wires. Also your battery could just be completely dead and wont build ant charge to start the bike, although jumping it should have started it.

junior636
07-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Well, its not the fuse or corrosion on the connections. Guess I will have to get a light or my multi meter and see what is going on. I will never buy another 400ex again, this quad has been nothing but trouble since it came home with me. Looks real nice though! lol

junior636
07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a guy coming to get this thing in a few days hopefully, anyone else throw out some ideas please? I need to get this fixed asap.

AtvKid4Eva
07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Thats weird, because everyone will tell you that they are pretty much bullet proof, unless they were poorly maintained by their previous owner.

junior636
07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Well, its just been a series of carb issues and starting issues I guess. Im just frustrated and over it.

williams255
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Mine was doing the same thing, nothing would happen and the light would dim. I replaced the starter relay solenoid and it works perfect now.