PDA

View Full Version : PEP PB1 vs Axis TI

Burns310r
07-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Anybody have any experiance with either? Preferences or downsides to either? Just looking for some general opinions or experiancs.

I need to put some shocks on my DS 450 and not sure which route to go. I have some Custom Axis on my Laeger Narrow CR500 link frame and love them, but i have a shot at some PB1's for a decent price

Well the used PB1's are going to cost more than a new set of Axis. People are very proud of the PB1's. They are valved and sprung very close to my weight, within 10lbs and it excelent shape. So i doubt the PB1's will need much work.

Used PB1's valved for 200lbs - $2500
New Axis TI setup for me - $2400 the axis might get a bit more expensive if i had PRS and the X link bottle.

Guessi dont know how much better the PB1's are. I know none of the pros that i have seen run Axis anymore. Its all PEP or Fox. Id like to buy the axis, but i kind of want to know at what cost?

07-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I think at that point you're picking fly **** out of pepper. I'm sure both would be awesome.

hontrx265r
07-10-2012, 07:58 AM
My personal opinion is your getting a very similiar shock. the pb1s probably have a better valve setup, being a smaller company I think they work a little harder at getting it perfect then axis. However either of them can be setup to probably perform nearly identical. I would not go with the ti spring, unless it falls right on your weight range. They have many more rates available in steel and the springs are more consistent.

I choose axis because I like their customer service. I valve/service all my own stuff and am always messing around to learn more. Everyone there is more then helpful. Also they encourage servicing your own equipment which helps when you want answers.

laeger2fiddyr
07-10-2012, 10:24 AM
$2400 for PB1's?? Are you getting the PB1 Fronts & an PEP ARC rear? Because if you are paying $2400.00 for used PB1's fronts something is wrong. You can buy 2 new front PB1's for 1,995.00

Burns310r
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
$2500 for all 3.

laeger2fiddyr
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Get the PEP's. Your in Iowa and Seth @ SF Racing can help with any questions you would have with them!

bigmatt61
07-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Cal Seth BEFORE you buy the used pb1s. Have him quote you a new set price as a comparison.

redred55
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM
I'd give my opinion but I am a little biased....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/redred55/walnut1.jpg

laeger2fiddyr
07-11-2012, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by redred55
I'd give my opinion but I am a little biased....

Pete letting that thing eat!!!!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/redred55/walnut1.jpg

Burns310r
07-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Im actually leaning torwards the Axis. This is for my DS450 XMX that i run in the productino class's. My Laeger Narrow 350R Has Axis all the way around and i like it.

I can spend 2500 on new axis, or 2500 on used PB1's. Although some say i can do better than that.

I have posted on other sites, and it seams that its a wash between PEP and Axis. Its more in the setup than any technological differences between the shock manufactures.

hontrx265r
07-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Also plush ride works well if you go that route. In the rear at the least.

hontrx265r
07-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Fox are a good shock if you want an air shock I would go fox. I have axis proair also and they are awesome but flat out not for the average guy to dial in..

I also love the fox rear on my ltr but not sure if its the shock or savior or both.. but it works well.

Price wise fox can't be beat. But also keep in mind they do not make them correct for R which requires more work again.

On a side note he may not have acknowledged your fox comment but he also didn't ask about fox anywhere in the post.

Burns310r
07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
No offense but the fact you didn't even comment on what I wrote about the foxes kinda shows you don't care people's opinions your mind is set on pep or axis which is cool I guess but with custom axis your paying for the name the shocks really aren't all to good ad you can think I'm an idiot or whatever but call up Walsh and ask Nate what he thinks about axis someone who actually gets feedback from pros. Pep is the best hands down but I guarantee your not gonna send them out each weekend to get set up. Take it how you want ignore this post if you want but all this thread is basically is I have these shocks they are the best. At least I was giving a reason as wyo why I suggested fox front with pep rear... Anyway goodluck I'm over sharing my opinion anymore.

P.s. there is a reason 90% of atvmx racers not just pros use fox.

I have looked alot into fox's and i know alot of people buy them. I dont like the repair costs, and i dont like what i read about body roll. Not being able to ride one for myself, it makes it hard for me to justify spending 1000-1500 on something i havent tested. I know how the spring style shock works and feels.

When it comes to PEP and Axis i have not direct preference. But it seems to me they both are great shocks and similarly built. The axis is also considerably cheaper from what i read.

Im not against anyone or anything, but just because i dont aknowlege what your wrote does not mean i didnt read it and take it into consideration.

This is just a simple opinion thread. Not a convince me to buy one or the other. I will make the final decision myself. Im just trying to become fully aware of the facts before i drope 2k+.

You dont like it, Then dont post. Its that simple bud.

hawaiiysr
07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Fox is such a big company compaired to pep or axis. Im sure that has something to do with 90% of the pros that use fox shocks.

D Bergstrom
07-11-2012, 02:27 PM
89trx250r, really? You give advice so it has to be acknowedged? Just because someone doesn't respond directly to your post doesn't mean it was ignored. As Burns310r stated,he was looking for opinions. You stated yours, don't get upset because he didn't say you are right, I should run right out and buy a set of Evol's. Heck, I prefer Motowoz shocks, so Burns310r, make sure you get those or I will be very upset with you! haha

Originally posted by hawaiiysr
Fox is such a big company compaired to pep or axis. Im sure that has something to do with 90% of the pros that use fox shocks.

Exactly, Fox has deep pockets. Plus, most pro's run what they can get for FREE.

I had a set of Evol's at one time and was never really that impressed with them. Yes, they are good shocks, but they were far from perfect. My issues with them were in the way of valving. When I ordered my Evols, I was only asked what quad, what a-arms, and if I weigh over 225 lbs. Nothing about type of riding or skill level. (Every other shock I have ever ordered has asked me these things.) My opinion is valving should very depending on these items and Fox just uses a generic, "one size fits all" valving.

I feel the Evol's I had would have been helped greatly with a revalve. Never did revalve them, I ended up selling them and getting a shock I knew I wouldn't have to send out for a revalve after I got them. (Motowoz) Again, I feel Fox make a quality shock, I just didn't like their valving and feel it could be better. Unfortunately, Fox mass produces shocks, so I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

As far as the original question Burns310r, since you are looking at a set of used shocks vs. new shocks for about the same price, I would go new all the way, so Axis it would be if it was my decision. That way, you can have input on the way they are setup from the start. Plus, if you are not happy, you can usually send them back and get adjustments for free since you bought the shock from them. I do agree with others though, if both shocks are setup prefectly for you needs and wants, you probably would not feel that big of a difference between the two, they are both quality shocks.

Doug

Burns310r
07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Doug.

What body does Motowoz use in there shocks?

k7mm
07-11-2012, 02:50 PM
I just ordered a brand new rear no-link PEP shock from Baldwin for $1100.Bought my front PB1's barely used for $1300. I am having them set up for my wieght,bike and riding style.I have been seeing used front PB1's sell for $900. to $1100 all spring and summer long.In my opinion,the only way that you will be able to get an AXIS shock to compare to PEP,is if you get the plush ride added.And then I still do'nt know.I like the PEP's because,at least with Baldwin,he builds the shocks with just as much care and time as if you were a Pro rider.I have also heard alot of good things about SFRacing!Seems like the guy wants too much for the PEP's that you are looking at buying.Everyone that buys and sells used shocks needs to consider the cost to have the shocks redone for the new owner.I just lost over a $1000. selling a whole set of 3 EXIT shocks that only had six rides on them.Yes,they were still new,but reality set in,and it was my risk trying the EXIT's out without knowing anything about them. They were suppose to be better than AXIS.I had the EXIT's built new for my quad,and just so you know,since the EXIT shock is suppose to be better than the AXIS,my standard travel limited mass PEP's built by Baldwin were better than those EXIT shocks.I understand money may be an issue,but a shock that has not been set up for you and your bike is almost worthless,almost.It should at least be a goal when buying used shocks to have them redone for yourself,it is so worth it!It is smart that you are seeking advise!I think that you can find a better deal on some front PB1's though.Like I said,my brand new rear NO-LINK PEP IS ONLY $1100.00!
Keith

Pro1200
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
PB1s, totally worth the money! I ran PEP ZPS converted to piggybacks on my 250R and loved them. Now I run PEP PB1s on my 450R and they ride even better. Totally worth it 110%. The ride is perfect and setup gets dialed in very easily and I have yet to have any complaints from either shocks from PEP. But overall with PB1s you can tell the difference over my other PEPs

D Bergstrom
07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Burns310r
Thanks Doug.

What body does Motowoz use in there shocks?

What body? Don't really understand the question. As far as I know, all of Motowoz's parts are specific to their shocks. Guess I need a little clarifiction on what exactly you are asking.

Doug

hontrx265r
07-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't want to create an argument here but you guys who are very one sided need to realize that virtually all of these shocks are constructed the same. Valved using the same techniques. Run through the same oil... etc.. the old pep's/ works are the only exception because they are a check ball valve (which don't work as well) . So buy an ELKA, AXIS, PB1, MOTOWOZ, EXIT etc.. Valved/sprung correct virtually no difference.

There are some small differences but everything is very workable. What color do you like?

Burns310r
07-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
What body? Don't really understand the question. As far as I know, all of Motowoz's parts are specific to their shocks. Guess I need a little clarifiction on what exactly you are asking.

Doug

Oh the main part of the shock, body is the main tube that the valve goes in, if its a piggy back usually thats reused.

Some companys use other companies shocks, change the valving, settings and stickers and what have you. Maybe motowoz has there own style.

I know when PEP started they used works shocks.

I think EXIT uses Axis shocks.

07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
I don't want to create an argument here but you guys who are very one sided need to realize that virtually all of these shocks are constructed the same. Valved using the same techniques. Run through the same oil... etc.. the old pep's/ works are the only exception because they are a check ball valve (which don't work as well) . So buy an ELKA, AXIS, PB1, MOTOWOZ, EXIT etc.. Valved/sprung correct virtually no difference.

There are some small differences but everything is very workable. What color do you like?

Good post here.

D Bergstrom
07-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Burns310r
Oh the main part of the shock, body is the main tube that the valve goes in, if its a piggy back usually thats reused.

Some companys use other companies shocks, change the valving, settings and stickers and what have you. Maybe motowoz has there own style.

I know when PEP started they used works shocks.

I think EXIT uses Axis shocks.

Yeah, I kind of figured that is what you meant but wasn't positve. As far as I know Motowoz uses all there own stuff. I know they make some of the parts in house, then others are outsourced, but I believe everything is made specially for them to their specs.

I also agree with hontrx265r, all these shocks are basically the same design, so as long as the setup is matched to you and your quad, they should all work about the same. To me the big equalizer is customer service. Find someone you can work with and go with them.

Doug

sangheraent
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
Yeah, I kind of figured that is what you meant but wasn't positve. As far as I know Motowoz uses all there own stuff. I know they make some of the parts in house, then others are outsourced, but I believe everything is made specially for them to their specs.

I also agree with hontrx265r, all these shocks are basically the same design, so as long as the setup is matched to you and your quad, they should all work about the same. To me the big equalizer is customer service. Find someone you can work with and go with them.

Doug
Im pretty sure they make their stuff in house as well. I don't have an opinion on either axis or Pb1s but I know motowoz's customer service has been awesome.

k7mm
07-12-2012, 02:25 PM
This is what I am talking about.$1100.00 o.b.o. PB1's for sale.Not sure of the length.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=489023