PDA

View Full Version : ESR 330pv jetting?

the dude
07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
So I had this new engine built probably 2 years ago, and its had at the MOST 4 gallons of fuel through it. The last time I rode my R at the dunes, I was playing with the jetting...but got too nervous about rising coolant temps to really get on it. (I was jetted with DGH 2nd to 3rd clip down, 175-185 main, 50 pilot.) Later I did realize that my temp gauge (in line from radiator to engine) was resting on the pipe (maybe falsely increasing my temps?)

Anyways....toys have sat un used since

Fast forward to today. I mix up some new fuel (50/50 110 VP and 91 pump, 40:1 Klotz R50) dump it in and the bike fires up on 2nd kick! just won't idle for longer than 30 seconds on its own, seems to run boggy low/mid but hits good up top, and smokes a lot! (much for than my stock bore 250r that i fired up today as well)

Im looking for a little guidance as the which direction to head to get this engine tuned!

As it sits right now:
1986R
Fresh bottom end when 330 kit installed.
ESR 330 power vavle, TRX9 porting
Pump gas dome
ESR TRX5 pipe w/silencer
Stock electronics (cdi, ignition, stator)
NGK BR9ES @ 20
38 A/S carb
DGH needle @ 3rd clip
185 main
55 pilot
screw 2-3 turns out
did a leak down test and it passed with flying colors
cold compression #'s (verifed by 2 gauges) 150 psi (too low?)

I feel like I remember it running best with the clip 2nd down from the top, but its 112* here in PHX right now so Im going to wait till the sun goes down before I try that out.

Thanks!

the dude
08-15-2012, 08:42 PM
well i have it running pretty good.. jetting is as follows:

52 pilot
175 main
DGH needle 2nd clip from top

with the needle moved up to the 2nd clip from the 3rd, it solved all my excessive smoke and idling issues.

I threw a new plug in it and went and romped it up and down the street, maybe 1.25 miles (total) down and back. I had been doing this a few times before, so starting coolant temp (leaving radiator) was 175* and when I parked it after was 210*. Granted its 730 at night here in Phoenix and still 95-100* outside, but this seems to hot, no?

Plug looks great though, nice light brown/tan color.

Still running the 50/50 race/pump mix, wonder if I am running too much octane? I have the "pump gas" dome and compression is only 150 psi...so my thinking is that's why it likes running leaner? I'm going to try just straight pump 91 on the 3rd clip to see how it runs too, probably next week.

Just trying to get the bike ready for my cinders trip next weekend.

What does anyone think of my temps?

DnB_racing
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by the dude

Still running the 50/50 race/pump mix, wonder if I am running too much octane? I have the "pump gas" dome and compression is only 150 psi...so my thinking is that's why it likes running leaner? I'm going to try just straight pump 91 on the 3rd clip to see how it runs too, probably next week.

unless you can get fuel without any ethanol i wouldnt even run a mix ... Ive had too many bad experiences with pump gas in my area, if your going to run pump gas try to find a station that doesnt run the usual 10% mix, you might get luck and find one, if not try to find some 100LL, or raise your compression enough to run 100% race fuel... do anything possible to avoid ethanol in your fuel