PDA

View Full Version : My 440ex leaks oil BAD PLEASE HELP WHAT CAUSES IT

440EXRACER#10
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a 440EX with everything done to it. It has 12:5:1 compression big bore head studs ported and polished stage 3 hot cams everything. It runs amazing but it leaks oil like CRAZY! It leaks out of the gasket where the crank meets the cylinder and the seal above that, it's just crazy. I dont know what causes this. It leaks when it gets hot. Im runnin 10w-50 FULL SYNTHETIC Castrol and it's been leaking when I got it. Please help. Thanks

Could it be from overheating? It's pretty hot here like 80°-90°.

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
from your description it sounds like a head gasket or maybe the valve cover gasket

440EXRACER#10
07-09-2012, 03:51 PM
But it's the gaskets under the valve cover. And it was just recently rebuilt, so why would the gaskets go bad?

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
that would be the valve cover gaskets if its the under under the valve cover, hince how it got its name. could be causes buy a bad gasket, damage during installation, valve cover bolts vibrating lose, bolts striped out.

why isint the matter of importance, how to fix it should be your concern.

gotta get it apart and check things out.

440EXRACER#10
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks. It leaks where the cylinder meets the crank case. As well. But you think if I put a cometic full top end gasket kit in it, that it will solve the problem.

TheAwesomehonda
07-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 440EXRACER#10
Thanks. It leaks where the cylinder meets the crank case. As well. But you think if I put a cometic full top end gasket kit in it, that it will solve the problem. Also make sure you get the gasket sealing surfaces really clean. Scarp off the old gasket material.

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 05:02 PM
were new gaskets even used in the rebuild process? lol

JOHNDOE83
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM
What jets are you running in that 440, thats were all of the heat issues come from.

JOHNDOE83
07-09-2012, 08:48 PM
The oil leak could be anything from not cleaned properly to scratched bonding surfaces or even messed up gaskets, could be studs got strip'd when they got torqued down.

From factory the torque specs are fine for proper install, after that you should throw those torque specs out the window.

Once the bolt has been torqued it stretchs and ceets it self, after the tension is released for the first time, the torque values will rip a bolts threads out and/or snap heads off.

Ive alway rebuilt motors with feel of hand torque and NEVER EVER had a issue.