PDA

View Full Version : What to buy next?

jgar
07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Ive been slowly rebuilding my 02 ex. Over the winter I replaced all of my bearings, brakes, 450r shocks, clutch, air filter, removed welds from header and other worn out parts.
This season Iam getting parts for rebuilding the motor over the winter. Already have 10.5:1- 416 piston. Next week Iam going to order a few more parts and install them right away. What will give better gains? Stage 2 cam and hd chain or a lexx slip on. Iam getting both this season but I want more power asap.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
dont get a lexx slip on. get a motoworks. lexx is junk

jgar
07-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Whats the db level on the motoworks? I did a search but didnt come up with anything and Iam not looking for anything loud.

crazya**400exer
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
i think motoworks is like 98 db they're not very loud

TacicalRedneck
07-08-2012, 03:48 PM
a motoworks won't add any power, everyone here has them, because i guess they are cheap, $200.

An FMF or HMF is another hundred, and they are a bit lovable.

crazya**400exer
07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Im with tacticalredneck i ant a fan of motoworks either

TheAwesomehonda
07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
^^^^ 2X

jgar
07-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
a motoworks won't add any power, everyone here has them, because i guess they are cheap, $200.

An FMF or HMF is another hundred, and they are a bit lovable.

I know you love your loud pipes.

jgar
07-08-2012, 04:52 PM
OK, so is everyone telling me inexpensive pipes wont produce any real gains and go with the cam for my next purchase?

TacicalRedneck
07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Pretty much :D , but your stock pipe is going to be Very restricive with all those mods!

jgar
07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
Pretty much :D , but your stock pipe is going to be Very restricive with all those mods!

Yea, I really dont expect to gain much at this point because my motor is stock. But it should help after the build. Problem is around here a loud pipe will just cause issues for me.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Tacical, no offense, but are you stupid? An Hmf or Fmf will not produce any more power gains than any other pipe. All slip ons are virtually the same with different cores for different sounds a different name slapped on the side. An hmf is no more extravagant than a motoworks except its obnoxious so for some reason that makes the price tag go up? A lexx will make virtually the same power as any other slip on but it has a terrible mounting set up.

Rohr397
07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
Tacical, no offense, but are you stupid? An Hmf or Fmf will not produce any more power gains than any other pipe. All slip ons are virtually the same with different cores for different sounds a different name slapped on the side. An hmf is no more extravagant than a motoworks except its obnoxious so for some reason that makes the price tag go up? A lexx will make virtually the same power as any other slip on but it has a terrible mounting set up.

^ x2 I was just about to go on this rant too. They all provide almost the same amount of flow in fact the Motoworks provides a ton of it. It's all about the building materials and what not. If the Motoworks doesn't make any power they wouldn't be using them on most of the top level race quads. You know why Motoworks are only $200? Cause they're not powdercoated, the design of the canister is simple and they cut costs by doing things like using a sticker instead of a badge. The cost of creating the pipe is lowered by doing this while the performance is not any different. I GUARANTEE, you'll get identical dynos out of a Motoworks, HMF, FMF or any other for that matter. Buy what you want but PLEASE get your facts straight before you spread this info. :mad:

Rohr397
07-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Just looked at some dyno info for all of the people saying Motoworks won't make power...

A test on the Ds450 showed that the Motoworks makes more HP and torque than the Rossier, a louder and more expensive pipe.

Johnny at Motoworks will tell you that they make 6hp more on the top end of 450's if correctly tuned and paired with an open intake.

From Dirt Wheels on the Motoworks tested on a Trx450r "The Motoworks exhaust system created more rideable power. It doesn’t come on in a rush, but pulls steadily and drives hard off the bottom end. It pulls longer and harder through the mid-range and has a decent amount of over-rev on the top-end. This, combined with the overall quality of construction, good looks, and smooth and easy fit, made this a worthy accessory match up for our Honda. "

Finally here's a nice video from ATVonDemand http://atvondemand.com/index.php?page=videos&section=memberview&vid_id=100165

Any questions? :rolleyes:

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
If I could get a motoworks and hmf,fmf,yoshi,two brothers, big gun, etc all for the same price id take a motoworks solely because they are great pipes. bout the only other pipe I would get is a pro circuit, ive always been fairly fond of them. motoworks is fairly similar to pro circuit also. my only complaint about motoworks is if you dont have a black or red color scheme going on they stick out like a sore thumb lol

Rohr397
07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
If I could get a motoworks and hmf,fmf,yoshi,two brothers, big gun, etc all for the same price id take a motoworks solely because they are great pipes. bout the only other pipe I would get is a pro circuit, ive always been fairly fond of them. motoworks is fairly similar to pro circuit also. my only complaint about motoworks is if you dont have a black or red color scheme going on they stick out like a sore thumb lol

That and the price is much better. Also if the colors don't look right just peel the sticker off! haha

hondanator
07-08-2012, 08:59 PM
i liked the lexx on my old bike

TheAwesomehonda
07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
Just looked at some dyno info for all of the people saying Motoworks won't make power...

A test on the Ds450 showed that the Motoworks makes more HP and torque than the Rossier, a louder and more expensive pipe.

Johnny at Motoworks will tell you that they make 6hp more on the top end of 450's if correctly tuned and paired with an open intake.

From Dirt Wheels on the Motoworks tested on a Trx450r "The Motoworks exhaust system created more rideable power. It doesn’t come on in a rush, but pulls steadily and drives hard off the bottom end. It pulls longer and harder through the mid-range and has a decent amount of over-rev on the top-end. This, combined with the overall quality of construction, good looks, and smooth and easy fit, made this a worthy accessory match up for our Honda. "

Finally here's a nice video from ATVonDemand http://atvondemand.com/index.php?page=videos&section=memberview&vid_id=100165

Any questions? :rolleyes: Ok that's all well and good but 1. do you actually think motoworks or any other company is gonna admit if there product isn't as good as another???? 2. They were using a full system in the video. Please just think about it.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 09:23 PM
a full system is pointless for a 400ex.. you cant get much better than the stock design ither than the header welds.

Rohr397
07-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Think about what you're saying lol for the love of god, what about the HMF pipe gives it better performance? As far as I know there is no difference in the design of the HMF to make it a significantly different or better pipe. If you can explain to me, in detail, the difference in design between the HMF and Motoworks that makes the HMF SOOO much better please do so because as far as I know the cores are nearly identical, the diameter of the endcaps are nearly identical, and the shape and design are not far off either.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
i can make my motoworks almost as loud as an hmf if i take out the spark arrestor lol

TheAwesomehonda
07-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I didn't say hmf is better. I just said don't believe everything that you see and hear. There just trying to sell there product. but i am a fan of the full system, mostly b/c i've heard stock headers crack.

HondaRacing83
07-08-2012, 09:43 PM
ive seen 2 in my whole life crack

chronicsmoke
07-09-2012, 05:57 AM
..this Motoworks crew VS HMF crew has got to stop.. I know you guys like your pipes but for fack sakes every second thread turns into this ******* debate. It's sickening.

Unless you have proof from a dyno stop blowing hot air out of your a$ses, because that's all it is without proof.

/endrant

jgar
07-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Iam going to JACK my own thread...... :rolleyes:

CAM or PIPE?

chronicsmoke
07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by jgar
Iam going to JACK my own thread...... :rolleyes:

CAM or PIPE?

I say cam, yes you will be restricted with any pipe that isnt HMF or Motoworks :p But you can add the exhaust in a month or two when you can gather the scratch to get it. Then you wont have to go back inside the engine to change the cam after the rebuild, just slap the exhaust on and rejet.

The build without the cam wont yield the gains you're hoping for, the cam will change how the quad delivers the power, making it pull harder in the higher rpms.

FWIW I had a 426 without a cam and a full exhaust, and adding the cam made all the difference.

jgar
07-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
I say cam, yes you will be restricted with any pipe that isnt HMF or Motoworks :p But you can add the exhaust in a month or two when you can gather the scratch to get it. Then you wont have to go back inside the engine to change the cam after the rebuild, just slap the exhaust on and rejet.

The build without the cam wont yield the gains you're hoping for, the cam will change how the quad delivers the power, making it pull harder in the higher rpms.

FWIW I had a 426 without a cam and a full exhaust, and adding the cam made all the difference.

Thats more allong the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks

hondaREX
07-09-2012, 07:55 AM
John. James from New England Riders. Im planning on the same build as you this fall or winter. Im going with the stage 2 cam, CRF chain and new guides and tensioner and high compression stock bore piston. Prob timing key too.I also worry about noise with an exhaust and have put it off for awhile now. Josh from NER has a Lexx and the mounting and the header-to-silencer seal is awful. Cheaply made in our opinion. He likes the performance but it has given him trouble with staying on his bike. HMF comp series has a nice setup with their 3 different inserts for sound and performance. I was putting off getting a CT Racing slip on for the tuneability but they stopped making them and the complete system is $500. So im looking at the DMC slip on. Havent heard much good or bad. But if we do the motor work, might as well have an exhaust soon after to reep all the benefits. There is a full HMF comp system in the classifieds for $300. Pretty good deal. Hope we can get together and ride soon.

crazya**400exer
07-09-2012, 08:23 AM
what does the crf cam chain do?

chronicsmoke
07-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by crazya**400exer
what does the crf cam chain do?

Its cheaper and stronger than aftermarket 400ex cam chains

crazya**400exer
07-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Does it do anything other than that?

TheAwesomehonda
07-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by crazya**400exer
what does the crf cam chain do? It is better quality and is supposed to last longer then a stock 400ex or other aftermarket cam chains (i'm not sure if that's actually true but that's what i'ver heard). @chronicsmoke please settle down man! No one has to stop b/c nothing started. I would recommend a good quality full system if you have the money, if not a good quality slip-on will work. btw all aftermarket exhausts are pretty loud if they aren't restrictive.

chronicsmoke
07-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
@chronicsmoke please settle down man! No one has to stop b/c nothing started. I would recommend a good quality full system if you have the money, if not a good quality slip-on will work. btw all aftermarket exhausts are pretty loud if they aren't restrictive.

Oh I'm calm, I'm just sick of the same people bickering about who has the better slip on exhaust.. seriously after 10+ threads of that it gets a little annoying. That's why the 400ex forum has become a 'kiddie forum'. If you have a valid opinion, post it, but if you dont have an idea what you're talking about dont clutter the thread. Just sayin'

CJM
07-09-2012, 09:06 AM
DO NOT RUN A TIMING KEY WITH A HI-COMP PISTON! It can cause you to problems. A timing key is only for a stock comp piston. member Wheelie makes custom keys to run with higher comp pistons but you must use 110 octane.

As for exhausts:
1. Stock header pipe is worth keeping and using a slip on with, due to the design of the headers on the quad you really cant get much more performance out of the setup even with an aftermarket pipe.

2.All slips ons are the same thing, a straight thur design. Maybe, just maybe one gives you .5hp more than another

A CRF chain is preferable to a 400ex chain b/c its the same size but uses more links making it slightly thicker and of course strong.

hondaREX
07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
CJM. If i remember correctly from other posts. The timing key can be used with 11:1 compression pistons with no problems. With 93 pump gas. I may be incorrect but ill check again.

hondaREX
07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
CJM is right as usual. +6 key for stock comp only.

Stickman400
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
There's a few members on here who run it that way but you're running the risk of melting your piston running it like that from all the heat. If your engine is jetted right to keep the temps. down and you are running an oversized oil tank and maybe a fan you can get away with it. But if it starts getting really hot you're gunna be in trouble.

jgar
07-09-2012, 05:35 PM
James I think Iam riding on sunday. The door is open if you want.

My plan is to build a 10.5:1- 416, stage 2 cam, crf cam chain, pipe, fan and oversized oil tank. 90% of the trails I ride are "local" so I really need a quiet pipe. Fines start at $250 and go up. I dont want to dump huge $ into a pipe. I dont care about brands, style or how it sounds. Just want to uncork it a little. I have no problem with a lexx not fitting well. My buddy ownes a machine shop and told me he can make a lexx fit snug.
Is there any good way to mod a stock pipe? Because in the next town over there is a guy who builds drag bikes and he has a flow bench, dyno and all kinds of cool stuff. He was telling me a P&P would be about 250. Got me thinking, P&P with a stock pipe or get a slip on?

Rohr397
07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
If you have a valid opinion, post it, but if you dont have an idea what you're talking about dont clutter the thread. Just sayin'

Just to clarify that was my point, saying that only the more expensive pipes like HMF and FMF will give you more power is a load of crap and I was proving that all of these pipes make power not just the ones with the highest price tag.

HondaRacing83
07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
well if you need a quiet pipe I think a tc shorty or czr is right up your ally ;)
in all reality though if you need something quiet motoworks makes a quiet core for like $30 on top of how quiet the pipe is originally. or you can get a stock 450r pipe, i guess they flow better and you can get an hrc tip for it