PDA

View Full Version : help with GTthunder head studs

on the rocks
07-07-2012, 10:41 PM
checking out the GTthunder head stud stuff. ran in to a problem. the instructions say to use a drill bit that can be taped to 7/16 course thread. that drill bit is "U" well that drill bit falles in to the STOCK head stud threads. so i got out micrometers and measured.

the stock stud measure to be .461 thousands of an inch on the out side of the threads

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/stud2.jpg

the GTthunder head stud measures .432 on the out side of the threads.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/studs.jpg

so the GTthunder head studs are smaller. i cant drill out something that is too big. im really lost here and im wondering if it got the wrong studs some how ( i did order from ebay i got the studs from quadparts111 )

here is a pic of the directions

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/directions.jpg

if any one can clear things up for me i would really appreciate it.

and to maybe help identify these being the wrong studs there longer the stock, could just be that i have to drill deeper then stock.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad194/sas10_bucket/4%20wheeler/stud3.jpg

new thought in my head, are these meant to be used with helia-coils?

Stickman400
07-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Here's a pic of mine that I never installed. They look about the same. I could go out and take some measurements if you want, maybe someone else can help out.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0256.jpg

on the rocks
07-07-2012, 10:55 PM
some measurements would be awesome! see if there the same or not

and yea the more help i can get the better!

Rivet
07-08-2012, 08:28 AM
The third line on the instructions says,
"Use only a roll form thread top.
I believe it should say,
a roll form thread tap.
A roll form thread tap actually draws the material being threaded to create a smaller threaded hole than what you start out with.
But for it to work properly it needs to start out with the right size hole diameter.
But like you said, you can't drill out what isn't there! If you can find a piece of scrap aluminum I would try to simulate the existing threaded hole in the cylinder and try it. But that would require determining the correct size and pitch of the existing metric threads and buying that tap also.
I'm very interested how this turns out as this was one of the mods I was going to do to mine next.

on the rocks
07-08-2012, 10:30 AM
well i have been thinking about this and for what i have dumped int o this project im not gonna try to do it my self as a learning process. i got on GTthunder's website and turns out there in millersburg ohio, thats like half hour from me, so im just going to get alod of them and have them do it for the 55 doller fee, i see it as a small price to pay for knowing its done right. so iver the week i will call and see whats gonna happen.

Rivet
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by on the rocks
well i have been thinking about this and for what i have dumped int o this project im not gonna try to do it my self as a learning process. i got on GTthunder's website and turns out there in millersburg ohio, thats like half hour from me, so im just going to get alod of them and have them do it for the 55 doller fee, i see it as a small price to pay for knowing its done right. so iver the week i will call and see whats gonna happen.

Yes, I hear you about wanting it done right.
But there must be hundreds of guys who have done this already, hopefully they'll post up if they see this thread.

In my opinion, I would be very surprised if a reputable company would just drill them deeper and install those other studs.

CJM
07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Local shop here had no issues installing a friends of mines GTT studs. No idea what he exactly did but its been running great ever since.

AtvKid4Eva
07-09-2012, 05:52 AM
for $55 its definetly worth having GTT Install them. My brother has had his in his bike for a while now and they have held up great!

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
i called and talked to the guy there and he said i could bring it up and it would take 3 to 4 days and 55 bucks and it would be done. so now i gotta get it to millersburg. with me being away at school Monday to Thursday im gonna have to try to get it there Friday.

Honda5
07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
It looks like the ones you took out are not stock studs it looks like they have been replaced with the heavy-duty aftermarket but not the GT thunder

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
can any one measure a stock stud and confirm this? im away at school and cant. i do have a buddy dropping my cylinder off at G T thunder tomorrow so i might have to tell him to scrap the idea.

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
i cant find any after market studs that resemble the ones that i am calling the stock studs.

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 05:43 PM
looks like honda5 is correct! i had my dad run out to the garage and take a stud from a stock cylinder and it measured .387 thou of an inch. so they are after market studs, which sucks because they look chinsy as stock with the narrowed center section, but one plus of them is the OD of threads on the bottom side are bigger then the gt thunder studs, i don't think there any better quality though. so looks like i will be running these ones. also sucks that i have G T thunder head studs and no use for them. might put them on craigs list. or return them through the ebay seller.

and i really wanted to use the gtthunder studs. another case of know what you have before you buy something. but from looks of the studs i would have swore that they were the stock studs. just a dumb mistake buy me.

Honda5
07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
It's hard to tell from my phone but that's what they looked like. Someone sold those on eBay years ago as a fix for stud pulling out problem but they didn't do much better then the stock ones. We ran a lot of psi in and the GT thunder was the only one that worked. I have one cylinder in my shop somewhere that had the GT studs in it but I pulled the studs out for another cyl I'm not sure of the bore but I can check if you are interested.

on the rocks
07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
i have another cylinder at my house if i want to go that rout. think im just gonna stick with this cylinder and see how it goes.

but if it is a 440 ready for gt thunder head studs shoot me a pm with pricing .