PDA

View Full Version : Spiderwebbing

rockingkfarms
07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Restoring an old GNCC bike w OEM 89 plastic that suffers from mild spiderwebbing. The plastic was new in 1997 but has been sitting ever since. I thought it wouldn't bother me but my OCDness is getting the better of me. What have you guys found is the best method to use on the spiderwebbing? Thanks.

250Renvy
07-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Since I find the spiderwebbing to be in the finish of the plastic, the only thing I've found is to lightly sand the surface with as fine as you can (you may need to start course and work your way to fine) Then you can use mop and glo to restore shine and lustre - however because the original finish is removed it will never stay that way for too long - clean and reapply as necessary.

DezSled
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I tried sanding off the spiderwebbing. It worked to some degree, but trying to regain the polished surface didn't happen. The best I could come up with was to use this stuff...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/Dezsled/photo19.jpg

It didn't crack (until you bent the plastic in a crash) and you can reapply as needed. The prep work called for getting the plastic warmed up and running the spray can under hot water before spraying to help with adhesion and getting a smooth finish. Good luck with what ever you do.

rockingkfarms
07-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the info.. I'll see what I can do.