PDA

View Full Version : engine and exhaust question

ryan101
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM
im about to start my rebuild frame up on my trx my first question is what can i do to the motor performace wise and have it still run safely on pump gas , right now its basically stock , i got a stage 2 hot cam for it and upgrading the carb to the fcr off a 2003 crf and advice would be great

my next question is im getting a new full exhuast for my quad its a 2004 and its basically impossible here in canada to find a new exhuast for a 2004 trx i was wondering it and 06 and up exhaust will work ?

AtvKid4Eva
07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
06+ exhaust have a slightly different bend i believe and they mount differently in the rear also. Search on here, but i think its a pain to get them to mount up correctly.

Lquad71
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
to run safe on pump gas I would say that you could do all the headwork that you want and still be fine. Also you can run a piston of about 12:1 safely on pump gas. I see that you have a cam and that works great for performance. You can send the carb to get built, I prefer dasa or CT racing. Also a crf ignition really kicks up the response and I highly recommend it for mx. Also the normal things you have probably already done like open the air box, through a better filter on it, if not a crf ignition the perhaps just a programmable cdi box helps some.

and what ^^^he^^^ said about the exhaust. I think it would be more of a pain trying to get one to fit than just looking for an 05 pipe.

ryan101
07-06-2012, 06:23 AM
thanks guys i kow that when you switch to the fcr carb you ghave to get the adaptor from dasa or noss but i was thinking of just ordering the fuel customs intake for an 06 instead do you think that would work ? and to the piston remark , i run a 13.5:1 hi comp piston in my yfz450 quad and it runs fine on pump gas but i dont know if that would be a safe thing on the trx engine and when you say head work do you mean port and polish or what thanks for all your help guys

Lquad71
07-06-2012, 08:58 PM
If you want to get the fcr carb then yes you would either have to get the adapter or swap over to the newer intake which is what I recommend because the air filter hole is much bigger compared to the 05. and when I say head work I mean any and everything you can do to the head other than decking it(because that will increase compression)Just as long as everything is cleared like valves hitting the piston. So that would be like port& polish, new seats, oversized valves, lighter valves, valve springs, valve guides, you get the point.