PDA

View Full Version : Going stroker

Foxhound013
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Hey guys, recently we had taken a trip to snowshoe and about the 3rd lap into my race the bike died coming down one of the fire lanes. So not thinking anything about it really other than the fact that it had no reason to stall there I had plenty of speed. I kicked it back over and shot into the woods about 100 or so feet later the bike died on me and the kicker was locked up. It was a little upsetting but I felt bad for my dad he only made it 15 minutes into his first lap before he lost his chain. Regardless my first thought was crank bearings, so we got back home and tore into it. We got it all apart and what do you know it wasn't crank bearings it was rod bearings lol. A buddy of ours said rod bearings don't usually fail unless they have a lack of oil, which I had plenty in there. I think they went because of a fried cam incident that I had last year. Basically I plan on ordering a hot rodz bottom end rebuild kit and figured while i'm in here I might as well make it a stroker. From what I can tell I can still use the stock piston right? Also I would assume that hot rodz wouldn't be sending the oem bearings that usually fail on the 04, 05s right? We've looked everything over inside the motor and it all apears okay, nothing apears cut up chipped or oddly worn. The hot rodz kit comes with all the bearings and seals so its all getting redone while im in there. Any thoughts or things I need to consider that you guys can think of?

ride red 14
07-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Yes you use a standard piston. You can use whatever compression you want. 13:1 seems to be popular with the +3 stroker crank. We have this combo in one of ours and love it. As far as bearings go, use the oem honda bearings and seals. Dont use the hotrods.

suspension101
07-07-2012, 07:21 AM
The crank bearings rarely fail and every time I have seen the rod bearings fail it was due to a lack of oil changes

Foxhound013
07-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I thought about upping compression but I really don't want to pay for race gas lol, and thats what our buddy was telling us suspension. I keep the oil changed (about every 2 races, I don't get much ride time in between usually) but my cam was fried last year (I could swear that I had oil in it but more than likely I had messed up somehow.) and either I figured it damaged it or the shavings plugged up an oil line and kept it from getting oil.

Quad Dude
07-24-2012, 06:55 PM
yeah i wouldnt replace a crank with any thing but a stroker. i love the hell out of my +3 hot rod. but i have read alot about having them balanced. i didnt do this and mine does vibrate. but its been like that for three years now with no trouble so. i rode alot when i put it together but not as much the past two years but still enough that i think the bearings woulda gone if they were gunna. also lower rod bearing failures can be a result of too heavy of engine oil. i swiched up one time and thats why i got a stroker crank. now its only the good honda oil with moly. and you can run 13:1 compression on premium pump gas.