PDA

View Full Version : truck exhaust

russellsroost31
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
hey guys i have a flowmaster exhaust on my truck and i dont really like the sound i want to do glasspack with out the cats does anyone know how to do that like what all i have to replace

muddy400EX
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
just take it to a shop and tell them what you want, would be way easier

i dont like glasspack sound personally, you could run no muffler and leave the cat. or maybe run a dynomax bullet without the cat, they sound really good

glasspacks are just to redneck for me

russellsroost31
07-04-2012, 07:12 AM
i love that classic sound

Drfat400ex
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I think you'll find a straight pipe with the cat's is the best sound for the money and effort. A peice of pipe doesn't cost nothing but a few bucks and if the flowmasters ain't coroded then it should be a half hour job. My friend had a dual exhaust with flowmasters and we straight piped it, worked really good and it sounds great, just make sure you also get some exhaust sealant because there were a few hole from the chitty welder we were using and it would make a popping noise out of those.

TacicalRedneck
07-04-2012, 04:20 PM
straight pipes are the only way to go! I've heard some good combinations, my buddy had some on a 302 and it was loudest thing in the school parking lot! Next time i see him i'll get more imfo.

beastlywarrior
07-04-2012, 04:21 PM
I ran headers into a cat on my 93 and it sounded good

MX MaNiAc 06
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
What motor is this for?

I've been looking into what to get on my 5.3 Chevy with no luck. There's a 5.0 mustang at my apartment complex that sounds amazing. My buddy said the difference between the $450 flow master I could get and what he runs is the difference between a full exhaust and a slip on for a quad. How much does that run?

crlt250r
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
The Mustangs run H pipes and some run aftermarket X pipes. That's why they sound so smooth. The exhaust equalizes in the crossover.

My FX4 is running an off road header back Gibson with single out 4 inch tip. Off road comes without cats, but still has the 02 sensor bungs. Even with a single out, it sounds awesome. Really smooth and mellow, but gets loud as hell when you're foot is in it.

The Magnaflow rounds are really good too, you get the glasspack sound, but they don't blow out the packing. I had a pair of them on my old c10 with Hookers, 3" pipes, and turndowns.

BlaineKaiser450
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Depending on the truck you can get an awesome sound out of the Purple Hornies glasspacks. Or just the standard cherry bomb. It shouldn't be much work at all, and of course straight piping will sound louder and more aggressive if you can get away with it where you live

quadrcr161
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
go with a gibson single out like posted about above, they sound great, even a shop built single out will sound good. im tired of all the big piped duals around here, sounds like the trucks underwater.

KKiowaTJ
07-05-2012, 05:09 PM
The cat wont effect the sound at all unless your talking about an older chevy 88-96's or fords that have 4 cats. Flowmaster 40 is the same as a glasspack but with baffles so it lasts and dont burn out. Most dont tell you the series when they sell them to you unless you tell them 40-40 delta etc.

If its on a newer 00' or newer the best thing to do is get bigger 3" pipe. They can flare the muffler tip or just run cats and pipe. If you want to cut the cat just put the 02 back in the same location and you wont have a CEL. Or gut the cat, That also gives it a different sound and it looks legal if a cop checks.