PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head Cover

2003TrX400eX
07-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Just finishing up the rebuild on my quad today. Went to put the cylinder head cover back on, and all the bolts tighten down except for the very long ones. whats goin on??

Stickman400
07-03-2012, 06:55 PM
The threads are prolly stripped out. It's getting to be pretty common around here for this to happen. If the bolt isn't snapped off and is the same length as one of the other long bolts then it is deff. stripped out. You're more than likely going to have to drill and tap it out for a 1/4" or 7mm bolt or install a heli-coil.

2003TrX400eX
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
It looks like the ends of the bolts sheared off, but they are all still the same size. I had shavings of metal fallin outta the hole the long bolts go in, so im thinking its stripped too.

breastman569
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
I just did mine and I had to drill and tap all three long bolts on the right side. Make sure you get you tourqe specs right it is very very light this is why this happens.

2001400exrida
07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
don't even use a torque wrench on those valve cover bolts. I use a small socket and just go until it "feels" tight. Meaning, once it's giving resistance, go a hair more and call it good. I can't remember how many there are, but it's over a dozen of those bolts and they are all different sizes, so what usually happens is somebody puts the long one in a short hole and ends up snapping or stripping the threads. As i mentioned, just don't use a torque wrench, and simply do a hand tight turn on those baby bolts.