PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who have put an xr400/Hinson cover on 400ex

AtvKid4Eva
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey guys me and my brother are in the middle of doing this to his 400ex. We have installed the xr400 side cover with the plugged side cover hole. Here are my two questions:

1.) When the hinson cover goes on it appears that there are supposed to be two alignment dowels to mate the quick change cover to the xr400 side case. Are these stock xr400 dowels or something Hinson produced?

2.) When we went to install the clutch cable mount to the side cover the two holes don't line up (I was aware this would happen). My question is can i just redrill the bracket and use the stock 400ex clutch cable? Can i use a stock xr400 bracket with the 400ex clutch cable? Or did Hinson make a new bracket to use the stock xr400 hole pattern?

***Please don't reply to this thread unless you have done this mod or are 100% sure you know the answers. ***

THANK YOU!

hondaREX
07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
I have this same setup but have yet to install it. But i have all the parts needed to when i decide to, so if this isnt reliable enough for you, sorry.

The XR clutch cable bracket mounts right up with the 400EX or 250X cable OR you can drill the EX bracket and you should still be able to re-use it on the EX if you decide to sell it stock.

As for the dowels, they are XR dowels. I can change them from one to another and they all fit.

Again, this is all mock up but im confident and ready to do the install this winter when i do my other engine work. Please keep us updated so we can see the outcome and results.

What clutch setup are you using so we know? 8 plate or stock? Hinson components or stock? I have a Hinson 8 plate setup with a Sparks 8 plate for replacement with all Hinson components. And what gasket are you using between the XR cover and Hinson cover? The stock XR gasket or Hinson?

AtvKid4Eva
07-02-2012, 08:36 PM
so if i get an XR cable bracket it will work with the stock 400ex cable? Im either going to go that route for a cleaner fit or i will just drill out the 400ex stock bracket.

We are using all the stock 400ex internals with the hinson cover. Everything seems to fit fine except for the cable bracket and we are missing the dowels between the hinson and the xr side case. Will order two XR ones.

The guy my brother got the Hinson cover from gave him the hinson gasket, we werent sure if hinson will have replacement ones (although this one seems okay) or if the stock XR ones will fit on the Hinson cover?

Thanks for the help man.

hondaREX
07-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Keep us posted. Im working on getting ahold of another XR cover so that i can try to have the reverse shaft hole machined into it so i can use it on an EX with reverse as i want reverse at some point. But its probably too involved and i wont be able to. I will also be installing the 8 plate setup in the stock EX case without the hinson cover to see if it will fit in a reverse engine.

AtvKid4Eva
07-03-2012, 07:10 AM
are you sure the stock XR O-Ring gasket is the same shape as the Hinson one?

hondaREX
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
The XR one is a regular gasket. Not an o-ring. But the XR clutch cover is the same shape as the Hinson cover. So thats what i plan to use. The Hinson cover has a groove for the o-ring but i plan to either run the gasket itself or fill the groove with RTV and then the gasket. Pics of the install if you have the chance!!!

AtvKid4Eva
07-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Hmm I thought the stock Honda one was an o-ring too. I guess I'll find out Friday when that and the xr400 cable bracket come in at Honda. If it is a paper one i will just use the o-ring one that came with the hinson. It looks to be in OK shape.Should have finished pics by the end of this week.

hondaREX
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I stand corrected. It is an o-ring but it is listed as a gasket in the exploded view. I like the idea of the reusable o-ring! I actually have the o-ring and the other inner gasket to order and im waiting till i know what i need to get for the other engine mods before i place the order with servicehonda. Cant wait to see the pics.

AtvKid4Eva
07-04-2012, 05:01 PM
i thought it was an o ring! lol should be in friday

AtvKid4Eva
07-06-2012, 07:00 PM
HondaREX:

We got it all buttoned up today. Heres some proven tips:

1.) OEM XR400 cover gasket IS an O-Ring and works as a direct replacement for the Hinson one.

2.) Ended up drilling a new hole in the 400ex cable bracket due to the XR400 one being backordered through Honda. Worked Fine.

3.) The alignment Dowels are OEM XR400 dowels.

Everything went together easy and here are a few pics of the finished product. Enjoy!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/atvkid4eva/photo1-14.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/atvkid4eva/photo2-15.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/atvkid4eva/photo3-13.jpg

hondaREX
07-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Looks sweet. Good info to know. I plan to do mine in the fall or winter and i will do an install post and post on yours so you can see my results. I really hope to find out if the Hinson internals work with the stock cover so i can use them in a 05+ 400ex. But i will run them in my 02 till then. Im going to wait for the XR bracket to be available so i can go back to stock if needed.

hondaREX
07-07-2012, 08:09 PM
atvkid. I was just looking at my Hinson cover and putting together my Honda order. Couple questions. What bolts did you use on the Hinson cover? Im having trouble figuring out what length to order. My Hinson didnt come with bolts. And what bolts did you use for the inner XR cover? Most of the inner look to be the same as the 400ex bolts but again im trying to figure it out before i tear into it. I know its not going to be easy to describe where each bolt goes and which one is which and all that but if yours came with them or you ordered them, that info would be helpful.

Also, did you use the stock 400ex clutch release arm/lever or XR400 or did your Hinson come with it? My Hinson came with one. Trying to figure out how alike the XR400, 400ex and Hinson components are. Im starting to think that my Hinson internals should work in a stock 400ex case as well as the XR stock outer cover. Because if your stock 7 plate setup works in the Hinson outer cover, then it must be the same, or close to the same thickness as my Hinson internals. And i was thinking my Hinson cover was deeper for the 8 plate setup but your cover in your pictures appeasrs to be the same.

I will measure as much as i can when i do the install, im just brainstorming and throwing it out to everyone else. Im planning to do the install sooner as im interested in seeing how it goes. Thanks.

hondaREX
07-07-2012, 08:21 PM
atvkid. Another question for you. What clutch lifter pin did you use? Thats the pin in the middle of the clutch pack that you would have hooked with the clutch release arm/lever when you put the outer cover on. Again, the Hinson cover appears to be much thicker than the 400ex and XR400 and i didnt think about how that still engages with the stock clutch setup.

426kidz
07-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Hey, this is actually my bike an atv kid is
My bro.... I called hinson and they sent me all the bolts and bearings for the cover, 35.00 I believe. Everything else is stock minus the clutch line bracket. We modded mine by cutting and re drilling butt the xr bracket is the same!

hondaREX
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
So number 7 in this exploded view you used the stock 400ex one?

426kidz
07-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Sure did!

hondaREX
07-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks guys!!!

426kidz
07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
No prob