PDA

View Full Version : Oil temperature

Rivet
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Hey All,
I did a search to find out the operating temperature of a stock 400. Where do you guys actually take the temperature reading or locate your oil temperature gauge? Thanks

hondaREX
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Most of us run a XRs only temp dipstick. xrsonly.com. $40. Or infared thermometer into the oil tank maybe.

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I use a infrared temp gun at the cylinder.

A nice dipstick with temp gauge would be nice though.

hondaREX
07-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Alot of the temps on this forum are for oil temp so thats why i said to check it into the tank. The engine temps will be different. But if you have a baseline engine temp then you can have an idea when its hot. Just not comparable to most temps mentioned on this forum.

Rivet
07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hondaREX
Alot of the temps on this forum are for oil temp so thats why i said to check it into the tank. The engine temps will be different. But if you have a baseline engine temp then you can have an idea when its hot. Just not comparable to most temps mentioned on this forum.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!
Can you tell me why the picture on xrsonly shows an Allen wrench along with the gauge, is it a direct replacement of the stock dipstick or something you have to cobble together a little bit?

hondaREX
07-03-2012, 06:00 PM
You use the allen wrench to loosen the set screw to spin the gauge to align the gauge for optimal viewing angle. Direct replacement part otherwise.

rocky_mtn_honda
07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/rocky_mtn_honda/2001%20Honda%20TRX400EX%20Sportrax/Aftermarket%20Goodies/IMG_3477.jpg

Rivet
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Thank you guys, for ALL your replys, especially the picture!

NacsMXer
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I see you used my idea, nice! ^^

Marking the temperature zones with a sharpie helps so that you can see where the temp is at a quick glance.

The XR's Only oil temp dipstick is a must have for the 400EX IMO. You're pretty much running blind without one as far as knowing if it's warmed up enough to romp on it, or if it's reaching meltdown temperature lol.

After a while, you will know where the engine's normal operating zone is by watching the patterns of the needle and the type of riding you are doing. For instance if mine reads 120, it's not quite warmed up enough to fully rip on it, 190-200 its good to go, 200-240ish is the safe zone. At 250 it's starting to get hot and it's time for a little break to cool down. Anything higher than that you are in the red danger zone.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9888/dsc0003hl.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/dsc0003hl.jpg/)

Stickman400
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
You may be talking me in to buying one of these too. I have a question, does it ever get water vapor inside the lens? Or is it completely sealed and doesn't have that problem? I've seen a lot of gauges get water vapor inside of them even though they claim to be sealed.

NacsMXer
07-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
You may be talking me in to buying one of these too. I have a question, does it ever get water vapor inside the lens? Or is it completely sealed and doesn't have that problem? I've seen a lot of gauges get water vapor inside of them even though they claim to be sealed.

I've never experienced that with mine. Get one, you won't regret it. The EX naturally runs hot and is cooled by oil, so it's nice to be able to monitor its "vitals".

Rivet
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NacsMXer
[B]I see you used my idea, nice! ^^

Marking the temperature zones with a sharpie helps so that you can see where the temp is at a quick glance.
Or you could do it like all the cool guys did back in the day when cars had mechanical gauges and they would copy the stock cars when they rotate and anchor the gauge with the needle pointing straight up when each gauge was at it's optimum reading.
Anyhow...I think xrsonly is going to see a little spike in oil temperature gauge sales.

GAZ-V-21
07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
So what is a good operating temp?

jgar
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I have the same concerns as stickman400. I would like to get one of these temp. dipsticks but mine would see a lot of water.

hondaREX
07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I only do trail riding. I see plenty of water and lots of dust and the gauge is holding up great. Mud covers the lense and thats about it.

Stickman400
07-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Well I just ordered one earlier, so I hope holds up well.:D

rocky_mtn_honda
07-07-2012, 12:25 PM
I've never had any issues with condensation or water vapor on mine, but then again, I've never submerged the oil tank either though. I do rip around in the mountains through deep creeks though. I guess I just never really paid attention to see if it was underwater. Never seen water vapor inside it though.

Stickman400
07-25-2012, 11:11 PM
OK, well I got one of the these and recieved it the other day and it i a very nice piece. I just went creek riding Tuesday and was going thorugh water holes that were about half way up my motor and it doesn't have any water vapor or condensation in it at all.

I do have one question about it though. It seems alittle hard to see what level your oil is at because the the color of the dipstick blends in with the oil. Is there some trick to being able to read it better? Like scuffing the surface of the probe or something?

hondaREX
07-26-2012, 04:33 AM
I usually use the stock one when checking the level or i use a clean paper towel and fold it so it hits the gauge where i folded it. I then lay the dipstick onto the towel trying not 2 let the oil drip toward thd gauge. Lift it off and be sure to not wipe it and u can put the dipstick next 2 the towel and check the level from the oil mark on the towel. Kinda hard 2 describe.